Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: klonk noise on a 4.2 pickup

Post by ricster »

Ahhhhh.... welcome bud !!!

There is definite passion about Patrols here Danie. If ever you need good solid honest advice, here is the place to ask it.... they would probably even give you some good advice on Toyotas too..... but you may not like it.....hahahahahah ( just kidding )
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Danie du Preez
Full Name: Danie du Preez
Nickname: Danie du Preez
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: Toyota Hilux
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Danie du Preez »

Thanks Cedric. As you know I am still huge Nissan fan. I am sure I will get good Nissan and Toyota advice here. :biggrin:
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Danie, just checking but there should be a rubber packer/spring seat at the top of the coils?

Also, the radius arm bushes are tough to diagnose on the car, particularly the ones behind the axle and at the back of the arms, where they bolt to the chassis.

I am not sure how much clearance there should be between the arm and the axle tube, but given that the bush can flex about 10mm, I think there should be at least 5mm. Perhaps this is worth a try: cut two strips of thick cardboard, 40mm wide, fold them double and insert between axle and tube, from the top, behind the axle.

Now go for a drive and firstly see if it makes any difference, and also after the drive see if they are damaged/crushed afterwards
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
jonathan
Full Name: Jonathan Venter
Nickname: jonathan
Home Town: Jacobsbaai
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX

Post by jonathan »

Any chance this 4.2 still has brake drums at the back and not discs? I experienced a similar "klonk" in an old landy with no obvious wear on bushes. It then turned out to be the brakes not set up correctly and the intermittent noise was coming from the brake pads themselves moving under braking and causing the noise. Actually had a similar noise coming from a newer landy with warped handbrake drum. Strange enough no noises coming from two old patrols :lol:
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 2004 GL TD42

Post by JoshJ »

I had a terreble clonking noise on a recently acuired Qashqai. Turns out it is the subframe bushes that mounts on the body on the cab side. Bush costs R180 at the stealers. After they tried convincing me I must buy a complete subframe. Then sayd it would be 2.5k in labour to replace it. Well I stripped the subframe out today and removed the bushes in 2h45 min, without fancy tools, by myself. The new once will be hear tomorrow then I will put it all back. So dont under estemate bushes.
IMG-20151117-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20151117-WA0007.jpg (231.2 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
IMG-20151117-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20151117-WA0009.jpg (232.04 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
IMG-20151117-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20151117-WA0008.jpg (216.74 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Post by Russ Kellermann »

ricster wrote:Russ they put the EFS coils in to see it there is a difference or issue between the Old Man Emu and EFS, as this was happening with the OME coils too.

Yeah there are a few dodgy companies out there, but there are a few that know what they are doing and are also at least willing to find the solution to a problem. We can't paint all the fitment centres with the same brush.....
Ricster,... I was under the impression that the EFS was installed shortly before your friend purchased the vehicle. Hence my comment. I must have read your post in haste and missed the detail that it was installed IN ORDER to find a possible soliution. Apologies.

AS for your comment at the foot of your post, ... in my personal experience i have had only poor , ill-informed, over keen salesmen , happy to sell any and all, with no consequence to the result, unfortunately, this has been my experience. However,... i will revoke my earlier comment as it IS UNFAIR, as you state, to paint them all with the same brush, quite right. My statement was not meant to offend, however, i see how it could have.

Back to the 4.2 D... in respect to the comment made eariler on brakes, yes, the pickup run drum brakes. I suppose this could also be a possibility, ... reverberating through the chassis rail or body ...its often hard to pick up where a noise is actually coming from.

Pete made mention of the rear radius arm bushings,.... the mushroom bush at the rear can most certainly be it, but this should be checked when you check the radius arm front bushes anyway.

Keep us posted chaps.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

" AS for your comment at the foot of your post, ... in my personal experience i have had only poor , ill-informed, over keen salesmen , happy to sell any and all, with no consequence to the result, unfortunately, this has been my experience. However,... i will revoke my earlier comment as it IS UNFAIR, as you state, to paint them all with the same brush, quite right. My statement was not meant to offend, however, i see how it could have. "

hahaha.... Russ, I know you have had bad luck with the guys you have dealt with, and I knew if I responded you would not feel offended by what I said.... And that's what makes this forum so informative. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I appreciate the fact that Danie and his company want to resolve the problem. The fact that he is a Nissan fan is a bonus too.....hahaha.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: 4.2 GQ (TB42)
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

The sound mine makes is more of a gong than a klonk, if that makes any sense...
It would be interesting to see what the outcome of this is..
I have noticed that the left coil in my bakkie seems to have more play (vibration) than the right hand side one...
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 SGL
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Post by Russ Kellermann »

SJC, That is most likely due to the right hand coil always being slightly taller/stiffer than the left in order to compensate for constant driver weight on that side. Both standard and aftermarket coils/springs of any type are specified like this for this exact reason, so dont worry.

I believe the gong you hear is the slight shifting/sliding of the coil SJC,.. have a look for any damage but if there is nothing it should all be ok. Mine sometimes does this when going over a sharp speedbump at low speed but too fast for the bump... the shocks try and cope with the compression but rebound damping is sometimes not sufficient to cope with the sudden drop of axle... particularly when/if both front wheels make contact with the speedbump and drop off the bump at the same time (ie: square to the object).

The only way to easily descibe it is "momentary weightlessness" although the coils do have weight on them to a small degree the coils are able to turn slightly as they unseat then re-seat into original position... making the gong sound.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
NMAD
Full Name: noel
Nickname: happy
Home Town: C
Current 4x4: 20
Home Language: E

Post by NMAD »

Have you checked that the coils are seated correctly on the front? There is a recess or drop where the end of the coils needs to be seated on the top end of the chassis. With the rubber seat in place on top of the coil it not easy to notice that there is a slot so many people just put it in wrong. If i remember correctly the left front slot was at 3 o clock and the right was at 9 o clock taking with direction of forward drive. when you have the coils in place then you rotate them by hand and you will see that they will stop when they hit the slot.

Also make sure that the rubber seats are placed correctly as they tend to get wedged against the chassis coil mount and the coil and you can get metal on metal which can cause vibration.

The klonk noise may be coming from the rear coil springs (not sure if yours is leafspring?), on the spring you get a part called a tube 55031VB000 which slides over the top of the coil and this stops the noise of the top coils flexing onto itself when you go over bumps etc The Nissan coil springs are supplied with the part or you can buy it separately from Nissan. Its just stops the top loops of the coils from having metal to metal contact under load as this makes the clunk sound.The top coils seem to be softer than the bottom coils so it makes the ride more comfy when the car is not loaded.
One of the tubes is worn through on my patrol and I get a clunk on one side when I go over a speedbump.

Return to “11. Chassis, Bodywork & Trim”