Nickname: theuhan
Home Town: Roodepoort
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari
1992 gq Patrol SWB
Home Language: Afrikaans

Wheel alignment

Post by Theuhan »

Morning Guy's

My SWB GQ is very loose on the road, and I believe it is the Wheel Alignment. The problem is the normal "Tiger wheel and tire" do not know how to set a 4x4, I need a place in Gauteng that does 4 wheel, wheel alignment, Please help.
82 Safari SOA
92 Patrol SWB
Carel
Full Name: Carel Vos
Nickname: Carel
Home Town: Germiston
Current 4x4: 84 Safari
2001 Patrol 4.5 GRX

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by Carel »

Hi Theuhan. Ek het my Safari by Auto Tyre and Truck centre (ATT) in Wadeville laat doen en daar was 'n ourige persoon wat geweet het hoe die Safari se wheel alignment gedoen moet word. Dit is so ongeveer 2 jaar terug gewees.
Work is only hard for those who hardly work
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Ek doen dit by Auto wiel bel vir bareend of vir willie by centorion hulle verstaan ons karre
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Theuhan, the problem is that in the entire Patrol suspension ther is only one single adjustment. Thus it is probably unlikely that the wheel alignment was done wrong, or that a better operator will be able to improve matters significantly. Also, Tiger Wheel at Westgate used to be the best alignment shop in town, but I have not been there for years.

I recommend that you have a good look around underneath and see if there are any bushes that need replacement (particularly the panhard rod bushes will have a large effect) [move all the bushes around with a large screwdriver and do a visual inspection]. Then check that the four ball joints on the steering arms are still free of play [there should be no play], and also that the kingpin bearings and front wheelbearings are correctly adjusted [jack up the front axle and see if you can feel play when rocking the wheel when gripping it top and bottom, there must be no play].

If all the above checks out, the only remaining option is to ask the wheel alignment operator to increase the toe-in slightly above spec value.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “11. Chassis, Bodywork & Trim”