Nickname: FRANCO
Home Town: NABOOMSPRUIT
Current 4x4: 2006 4.8 GRX
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

REAR DOOR FAILURE

Post by FRANCO »

:helpsign:
Hope you all had a good rest.
The rear door (driver side) on my 2006 4.8 GRX has cracked approximately level with window. Looks like metal has sheared. Car only has 140 k on the clock, so this is very disturbing.
The spare wheel is not loose.

Has anyone experienced the same problems? Will try and send pic.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: REAR DOOR FAILURE

Post by Tinus lotz »

no!!! :thumbdown:
have you fitted a bigger spare????
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

I don't have the problem, but there are a fair number of reports on the "Oz" Patrol forum...

The consensus seems to be that slamming the door causes it to flex and eventually crack. It's also attributed to badly aligned latches (causing the door to move/flex whilst driving, or requiring the slamming in the first place), oversize wheels on the carrier (apparently the right rear barn door has a 25kg limit), bad spot welding (it cracks right on a welded joint), big blokes using the spare wheel to climb onto the roof (just had to put that in!), etc.

Here are some links - the first one has pictures too (spesiaal vir Oompie Mac):
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-p ... oor-20380/
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-p ... ess-17249/
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-p ... oor-24037/
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-p ... are-17925/
etc...
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
duckitt
Full Name: Charles
Nickname: Charles
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: 4.8 GQ Patrol 4x4 & 1996 (4.8) SGL GU was n 4.2 Petrol

Post by duckitt »

Ja ek het die selfde probleem myne is nou in vir regmaak sal hom seker more kry , die probleem is verseker die wiel gewig want hy weeg 46kg , het hom op n skaal gegooi en as hulle se dis net 25kg dan weeg die rim allen al reeds dit so wat se hulle nou eindlik moet ons met n sitkar se mariebuskuit tyre ry as n spaar,swak nissan!
Charles Duckitt
Duckitt Security Services
online7584692@telkomsa.net
FRANCO
Full Name: F ROSSOUW

Post by FRANCO »

Hi

Dankie vir die terugvoer.

Duckitt - Dit het dieselfde wiel op waarmee ek dit by Nissan gekoop het. Dit gaan nou vir die tweede keer reg gemaak word via die Nissan agente.

Christoslang - Dankie vir die info adder. ( :lol: )
FRANCO
Full Name: F ROSSOUW

Post by FRANCO »

:blonde: Die handelaars het 'n nuwe deur bestel vanaf Japan en gaan dit kosteloos vervang. Goeie diens by Pieter van BB Auto in Polokwane.
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]

Post by Kagiso II »

:doh: :naughty: :surprised: - Slanghman - VOL verwagting en eksaaitmunt spring ek na daai site met kiekies op -- en dis wat ek kry ???

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.patrol4x4.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

Hulle het seker 'n Windows-gebaseerde web server - dit sal hulle leer! :biggrin:
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
Picasso
Full Name: HS
Nickname: Picasso
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
T3 Syncro
Home Language: German

Post by Picasso »

Barn Door Repair

When I bought my Patrol, it had a significant crack on the outer skin of the right barn-door side,
more or less in line with the bottom of the window.
During my initial hunt for a Patrol I noticed cracks on several of the vehicles which I looked at.
The crack on the specific vehicle I bought was one of the worst.
I read up on this forum as well as on the Australian Patrol forum about this problem.
A popular culprit “has been identified” as bigger / heavier spare wheels as well as slamming of the door.

My vehicle has a standard size spare wheel…. This argument is not valid in my case.
However, it had a sagging / misaligned RH barn door.

Below I will describe the method of repair which I applied to repair the cracked barn door.

In my opinion the root cause of the barndoor cracking is the design of the door itself.

The crack on all the Patrols with this problem appears to be always exactly in the same position.
The doorframe has been reinforced with an additional panel on the inside.
The crack runs within 1mm above this reinforcement plate.

(See Image 1)
BDRepairImg1.jpg
BDRepairImg1.jpg (36.76 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
When closing the door one needs to apply a certain force in order to ensure that all 2 door locks (bottom and top) engage properly, otherwise the “door open” signal on the dashboard stays lighted. However, forcefully closing the door puts a bending stress on it. The stress is highest in the middle of the door - at the bottom of the window. It has the same effect as bending a thin piece of metal up and down over a table edge until it breaks off.
In this case, it is the reinforcement inside the doorframe representing the tables edge.
I am quite certain that this problem would not occur If this reinforcement piece were to be significantly longer at the top. The forces created when closing the barndoor will obviously be even higher when the hinges are worn causing, a sagging of the barndoor.

The Fix:

In the Ausi Patrol Forum someone posted a DIY method of fixing the problem.
He inserted a 40-cm steel reinforcement bar which he MIG-welded onto the inside of the doorframe by means of holes which he drilled beforehand into the actual skin of the barndoor.

I visited various panel beaters to request a quote on the repair.
Some were not prepared to do this kind of repair, others quoted between 5 and 6 K.
My concern was that one does not really know how well such a repair would be done by a panel beater… and will it last ?
On the other hand, I was not at all convinced that I could do a DIY job using the before mentioned MIG welding method.

I eventually decided to do the repair myself by using a different approach:

1) I stripped inside door panel, wiper blade motor assembly, door lock top, connecting rods + cables.

2) I cut a strip ~ 150 x 20 mm on the inside of the doorframe as access-hole with a Dremel tool at the height of the cracked outer skin.

(See Image 2)
BDRepairImg2.jpg
BDRepairImg2.jpg (40.03 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
(See image 3).
BDRepairImg3.jpg
BDRepairImg3.jpg (29.05 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
This picture was taken through the access-hole and shows the crack of the outer skin from inside the doorframe, exactly were the reinforcement piece ends.

3) I decided to do a sandwich reinforcement which wedges the cracked panel between two outer metal strips and two inner strips.
The outer strips are ~ 6 x 400 mm for the bigger one and about 3 x 200 mm for the smaller one. Holes for bolting were pre-drilled, and the holes in the inner strips threaded.
Outer and inner strips were coated with a layer of metal epoxy, then screwed together with bolts.
Nuts can’t be used with the bolts since it is too difficult to attach them in the time available (speed was needed due setting time of the epoxy). The use of nuts would also limit the space inside the doorframe to the extent that movement of the connecting rod (door locks) could be impaired.
The epoxy layer between the reinforcement strips and the body skin fulfills two functions:

a) It ensures that the reinforcement metal strip bonds 100% with the vehicle skin and not just at certain points as with a screw connection or welding points.
b) It gives additional strength.

(See Image 4)
BDRepairImg4.jpg
BDRepairImg4.jpg (74.01 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
After the reinforcement process as described above was complete, the remaining task was to smooth out the reinforced area, then apply primer and paint.

(See Image 5,6 and 7)
BDRepairImg5.jpg
BDRepairImg5.jpg (47.79 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
BDRepairImg6.jpg
BDRepairImg6.jpg (41.39 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
BDRepairImg7.jpg
BDRepairImg7.jpg (74.07 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
4) Thereafter came the reassembly of the components removed earlier.

5) Another important task was to readjust the door so that it is perfectly aligned with the horizontal guide / striker at the bottom.
What I did was to support the weight of the door with a trolley jack (raised on pallets). I first tried to loosen the screws (3 per hinge) on the c-pillar and then tried to lift the door with the trolley jack.
The part of the hinge fitted to the c-pillar allows only very limited adjustment.
Thereafter I repeated this process, but on the other side of the door hinge which is attached to the barndoor. The two screws per hinge on the barndoor side can be accessed by removing the door inner panel. This gave the desired adjustment level. The door is now adjusted properly and does not have to endure additional stress during the closing process.

So far so good, (after ~ 4 weeks & ~ 1000 km).

:salute:
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Nice post Picasso!

I also saw that post on the Ausie site and have been wanting to do this on my own Patrol for a while now but just cant find the time.

I agree that the door design is the main problem as mine cracked exactly on that same spot

This post of yours just might give me that extra motivation to just do it
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff

Return to “11. Chassis, Bodywork & Trim”