Adrianjvr
Full Name: Adrian
Nickname: Adrian
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: '91 SWB Patrol 4.2d
Home Language: English

SWB Patrol Rear Bumper

Post by Adrianjvr »

This past weekend a group of us drove the de Wildt 4x4 trail. Not a particularly difficult trail, but none the less I managed to break the rear tail light (those rear bumperettes a like a guillotine) and put a small dent in the rear quarter. The patrol handled well, but was rather uncomfortably as the standard shocks are way too short for the 3” lift. The short shocks also limited the axle articulation which made some of the axle twisters a bit of a challenge. As soon the finances allow it, I am going to replace the shocks and get a new rear bumper fitted. I am thinking of getting the rear quarters cut as well to improve the departure angle as in standard form it is not particularly great. I have done a little searching on the net and found three rear bumpers that I really like. I would really like your advice and opinions on which of the three would be the better option both from an aesthetic and practical point of view.
Adrianjvr

Re: SWB Patrol Rear Bumper

Post by Adrianjvr »

Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello Adrian

I like the looks of the first one most except that it needs to protect the tank better, but the second one is the more practical. However none of us can decide what you like most, so this is what I suggest:
Firstly, have a look at the current bumper and decide what features you want to keep, and what features you are not interested in, for example personally I would want a tow bar with a removable end, I want at least three points where I can use a hi-lift jack (one in the middle and one at each end) without a risk of it slipping, I want a tow point in the middle as I seem to spend a lot of time towing broken vehicles, and I like the step as that is how I get onto my roof rack.

Secondly you decide exactly what your priorities are and what sacrifices you are prepared to make to acheive them.
The third step is to decide wether you want to tackle it yourself, or wether you want to get a pro to do it for you.

If you want to do it yourself, go to the hardware store and get yourself some masonite (hardboard) and duct tape and manufacture a model.

If you want, you are welcome to visit me (I am in Kempton Park) as I have built a few bumpers and have some idea of how to make it easy, and have some fairly usefull suppliers.

Regards
Peter
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Adrianjvr

Post by Adrianjvr »

Thanks for the advice Peter. I'm leaning towards options 1 with a couple of small mods. I have a quote of around R8k from Meano and Sons Coach Builders to carry out the job for me. Seems reasonable and I'm sure they will do a better job than I could. Do you think I need to brace the ends of the rap around tubes back to the chassis for additional strength?
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello Adrian

That would probably not be necessary for off-roading, but it might help on the road when somebody runs into you next.

I meant to ask you, do you have a rear diff lock? And also what shocks are you looking at (do you want something good or something cheap)? I have a contact for good shocks (better than OME or any of those).
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Adrianjvr

Post by Adrianjvr »

I only have the limited slip diff in the back which seems to work well for the moment. I don't really have a brand preference for shocks. I believe the extended length of the shocks I require is 22.5" in the front and 28" in the rear for a 3" lift. What shocks were you thinking of?

Return to “11. Chassis, Bodywork & Trim”