Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: 2005 Patrol 4.8 GL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Trouble shifting from 4Hi to 2Hi

Post by DirkErasmus »

Thank you guys - Dankie manne.

Cedric, mine is manual.

Tinus' advice was simple, yet good.

After going to the Neutral position on the 4WD gear lever, and shifting to 2WD after a pause in Neutral, it did the trick.

The previous times I simply went straight from 4Hi to 2Hi, which did not disengage 4x4.

However, as stated above, after stopping in Neutral position on the short gear lever, it worked.

Baie dankie vir almal se raad. Julle ouens is 'n gawe klomp. :clap: :salute: :thumbup:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Please you got sorted !!!!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by Clem »

May or may not help but with vehicles with a locking centre diff the best way to get the wind-up out of the drive train is to reverse in an S-pattern.
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David vd Merwe
Nickname: David - Hillbilly
Home Town: West Coast
Current 4x4: 1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani Mk3 4x4 SFA (SAFANI)
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by davidvdm »

DirkErasmus wrote: 29 Jan 2018 09:27 Thank you guys - Dankie manne.

Cedric, mine is manual.

After going to the Neutral position on the 4WD gear lever, and shifting to 2WD after a pause in Neutral, it did the trick.

The previous times I simply went straight from 4Hi to 2Hi, which did not disengage 4x4.

However, as stated above, after stopping in Neutral position on the short gear lever, it worked.

Baie dankie vir almal se raad. Julle ouens is 'n gawe klomp. :clap: :salute: :thumbup:
Stop the bus!!! Or I understand the above incorrectly... What is your gear sequence on the short stick? 2H-4H-N-4L... My old Sani will not allow you to move the short stick if there is any type of wind-up in the system. It's not like you can drop the stick to 2H, and the box will select at it's earliest convenience. I would have thought the Patrol was the same. It's definitely a hard shift, and you have to stay on it till the selection has been successfully made.
David - Bfreesani
1997 Nissan Sani MK3 2.7TD - Hillbilly (SAFANI)
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
MQ Transfer as second low range
5" Lift
33"x12.5x15" tires on 8.5J rims - Want 35's
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Steven
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8

Post by biggles »

AndriesS wrote: 26 Jan 2018 14:32 I need to check the drivers manual ( will light stay one when..) but my common sense tells me that if the Patrol 4wd light should be switched purely by the position of the gear selection lever - similar to a reverse light, the 4wd / 2wd is nothing more than a shift between 2 gears in a manual gearbox say 2-3. This is as mechanical/hard shifting gears with muscle power as it comes, there is no electronics, solenoids , valves or hydraulic actuators involved that might be trying to get back into 2wd . it's on or off .

The only reason it can stay on
shifting mechanism feels like it is in 2wd but actually still in 4wd
sticky switch?

When shifting from 4Hi to 2Hi on the move will generally keep the front diff turning until the auto hubs disengage - normally by moving in a different direction from the locking action (i.e. reverse )
The light is hooked to a sensor in the transfer box. So regardless of the lever position the light will only go out after it has come out of 4x4.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.

Post by AndriesS »

davidvdm wrote: 30 Jan 2018 12:08 The light is hooked to a sensor in the transfer box. So regardless of the lever position the light will only go out after it has come out of 4x4.
I was referring to the gear selection lever inside the transfer case and the workings of transfer case

The transfer case has 2 switches . one to check if it is in neutral and the other for 4WD / 2WD , the neutral and 4WD switch act on a relay mechanism , where moving it into neutral will switch the relay on to switch the 4wd warning light off.
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

davidvdm wrote: 30 Jan 2018 12:08

Cedric, mine is manual.

Stop the bus!!! Or I understand the above incorrectly... What is your gear sequence on the short stick? 2H-4H-N-4L... My old Sani will not allow you to move the short stick if there is any type of wind-up in the system. It's not like you can drop the stick to 2H, and the box will select at it's earliest convenience. I would have thought the Patrol was the same. It's definitely a hard shift, and you have to stay on it till the selection has been successfully made.
Because your transfer box is not part of the gearbox its a unit on its own
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Steven
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8

Post by biggles »

davidvdm wrote: 30 Jan 2018 12:08

Cedric, mine is manual.

In the Patrol the selection lever in the cab will be in the 4L or 4H or 2H position before the transfer case changes, so the light will indicate the actual situation inside the transfer case. Almost like there is a rubber link.

Unlike 76 LC where the F^&^*ing lever will not move until the transfer case is good and ready to change. I found a combination of going forwards and backwards, various combinations of cuss words and a small sacrifice to a White Horse made them change. :oldtimer:
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

:rolling: :rolling: ... that made my day !!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David vd Merwe
Nickname: David - Hillbilly
Home Town: West Coast
Current 4x4: 1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani Mk3 4x4 SFA (SAFANI)
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by davidvdm »

Cedric, must admit I had to giggle at that one too :rolling: ... But do you remember your Sani?. It was also a "hard connect". The lever would tell you exactly in what position your TC is in. I hope the old 1980 Safari TC is still like that. I prefer it that way. At least both my short levers will be acting/indicating in the same way. Hopefully I can start testing that by the end of Feb :blonde:
David - Bfreesani
1997 Nissan Sani MK3 2.7TD - Hillbilly (SAFANI)
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
MQ Transfer as second low range
5" Lift
33"x12.5x15" tires on 8.5J rims - Want 35's
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS

Return to “10. Drivetrain”