IR_Eddie
Full Name: Eduard groenewald
Nickname: IR_Eddie
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 GRX ('07)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: No reverse gear A/T

Post by IR_Eddie »

Thanks Petri - Awesome vehicle (pitty this had to happen). Never the less i'm converted and convinced this is the best 4x4 and vehicle i have owned by far (if you don't mind a vibrant fuel gauge :rolling: )

Bought it 6 months ago with 75k on the clock and without a tow bar so no previous towing took place. I only towed twice - once with a 4x4 trailer that weighed about 800kg and now in Dec my Oryx which also does not way more than 1000kg.
i guess that classifies as Normal :thumbup:

judged by its condition and extras fitted, its clear that the vehicle was also very well looked after by the previous owner. Guess its just bad luck. Still hopeful that its something small but more and more clues and people i talk to it seems that it is the either clutch related or seals (or piston).

Ill know by next week and give an update.

Happy hunting - i did see quite a few that was very well priced on Gumtree while i was scouting for recon boxes.
petri oosthuizen
Full Name: oosthuizen
Nickname: petri
Home Town: bethlehem, eastern fs
Current 4x4: 1998 Patrol 4500 GRX......."OLIVE"
1997 Cruiser HZJ 75........."JACK"
2008 Merc CL 500............."BULLET"
2006 C 180 K Manual........."SUSSIE"
En Mamma se Kar, 'n Ford
Home Language: afrikaans

Post by petri oosthuizen »

Oh OK Eddie - so you still not sure exactly what did go wrong?? Really hope it's just something small, man!! (should actually be - the box never worked)
"Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' corner, and knowing he wants to go home early tonight"..........Max Baer
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

I am convinced it is a small issue.

The problem is that the system is so complex that tracking it down becomes a nightmare. And this is not a reflection on the Patrol either, all cars are like that nowadays.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
IR_Eddie

Post by IR_Eddie »

Got some feedback today from the workshop. Diagnoses= Burnt Clutch :think:

They are still doing some fault finding to ensure nothing else was damaged and to see if they can find a plausible cause. Makes you wonder what the previous owner did with the vehicle.
petrol
Full Name: Martin Koorts
Nickname: Martin
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: 2000 Patrol 4.5 GRX

Post by petrol »

I am no expert, especially with auto gearboxes but surely a burnt clutch/torque converter should have an effect on all gears and not only in reverse.
Reverse gear uses the highest pressure to engage then it is 3rd and 4th.
With your symptoms, revving it in reverse and then it engages means that the pump is not building enough pressure at idle.
This means either one of the following, transmission fluid pump damaged , blocked transmission fluid filter or damaged solenoid on revers gear
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by Clem »

IR_Eddie wrote:Got some feedback today from the workshop. Diagnoses= Burnt Clutch :think:

They are still doing some fault finding to ensure nothing else was damaged and to see if they can find a plausible cause. Makes you wonder what the previous owner did with the vehicle.
Thanks for that Eddie. What would cause the clutch to burn?
IR_Eddie

Post by IR_Eddie »

They are still doing some fault finding to see if they can trace any mechanical causes. Its either mechanical or excessive strain on the box. Since i did not really strain the box im also a bit confused. They recon if it was misused previously i should have had a problem earlier and not 7 months later after i bought it.

As previously stated the vehicle did not have a tow-bar so it certainly did not do any towing and even if it did it strange that it is the reverse. It is possible that it might have been over-strained by the previous owner but not to the extend of failure during 4x4'ing or something and when i placed a bit of strain on the box when i reversed the caravan (not more than 1 ton though) it was enough to cause the failure.

Ill update when i have more info and final cost for repairs.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by Clem »

Thank you Eddie.

For what it is worth, if I had to take the tow bar off my car, you would never know that it had had a tow bar – the Bosal unit fits on the back of the car using the same fitment point as the factory fitted recovery point (if that is what it is!) so that if you reverse it, you will never know that the car ever was used for towing.

Please keep us updated.

Best,
Clem
IR_Eddie

Post by IR_Eddie »

i see thanks Clem. Anyway, it is what it is. accepted the quote and they will order the kit(s) to start the work.

So here's the prognoses (or at least the bit that i understood):

1. Clutch damaged but not entirely burnt. That means that there was no other damage caused.
2. the D-ring (seal) on the reverse piston looks like its been nibbled on by a mouse. (obviously it wasn't that's just the way it deteriorated). Not common for vehicles with such low mileage and the cause is unknown. It could have been a bad quality part from the beginning.
3. the lack of pressure caused by the leaking D-ring (seal) caused the clutch to be damaged due to the friction.

This is the way i understood it - so if i am talking nonsense here please feel free to correct me. :oldtimer:

Cost = R27,560 incl VAT.
Includes labour, VAT and parts to remove, Overhaul and refit the transmission and also to recondition the torque converter.
Parts:
1 x Gasket and seal kit
1 x Moulded piston kit
1 x Friction module
12 x ATF JF506E (i take this is clutch plates?)
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

The ATF is the auto transmission fluid..
Where are you having the work done, and are they reputable... its a complex box as far as I understand it.

Return to “10. Drivetrain”