Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Rear prop shaft 4.8 GRX

Post by Peter Connan »

NMAD wrote:Hi Peter

I checked your Patrol on the parts catalogue and it also shows the propshaft slip joints nearest to the diffs? Maybe the SA version is different to the Euro spected patrols.

http://nissan4u.com/parts/patrol_gr/er_ ... ler_shaft/
I have looked at mine extensively, and am pretty sure that if I were to turn it around, it would touch the chassis cross-member when the rear suspension is fully extended...

I can see no engineering reason to have the slip-joint at the axle end (except that it would make it slightly easier to grease the front axle's slip joint with my bash plate in place), and several (mostly already mentioned) for having it the other way around.

On the other hand, I don't feel qualified to argue with Nissan's engineers about this either.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

Peter ,is the vibration damper not also apart of the propshaft and will not fit onto the propshaft brake drum if you try the turn it around.I :
have also laid under all three my Patrols I had and wondered why its like that :think:
NMAD
Full Name: noel
Nickname: happy
Home Town: C
Current 4x4: 20
Home Language: E

Post by NMAD »

When I turned the prop the way its shown in the parts catalogue I checked the prop clearance against the cross member and with the 2 inch sway bar extension brackets with the OME shocks there was about 3-4mm clearance with the axle fully dropped/hanging in the air with the chassis raised with jacks.

I would think that some installers maybe turn the prop around when they raise the suspension as it can def knock the cross member if the car is raised over a certain height.

This is one reason that OME state not to use trim packers on the gearbox due to limited clearance on the cross member.

I have a lot less vibrations at idle now with the prop yoke at the rear which is nice.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Wilkie wrote:Peter ,is the vibration damper not also apart of the propshaft and will not fit onto the propshaft brake drum if you try the turn it around.I :
have also lied under all three my Patrols I had and wondered why its like that :think:
I don't know Errol, mine has been "the wrong way round" ever since I've had it.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
NMAD
Full Name: noel
Nickname: happy
Home Town: C
Current 4x4: 20
Home Language: E

Post by NMAD »

Peter Connan wrote:
Wilkie wrote:Peter ,is the vibration damper not also apart of the propshaft and will not fit onto the propshaft brake drum if you try the turn it around.I :
have also lied under all three my Patrols I had and wondered why its like that :think:
I don't know Errol, mine has been "the wrong way round" ever since I've had it.
Peter I see the parts diagram That I linked is for an automatic gearbox 4.2 so it may be different to the manual one.

On my 4.8 auto box the prop fits either way around as the joints are the same which makes its a pain to know which way is the right to place it.

Return to “10. Drivetrain”