Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: GRX Drivetrain

Post by Stefan »

In my test I did it at about 40km/h without any issues whatsoever. No load though
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by Clem »

Many thanks for the input Stefan. Quite interesting.
Bush Whacker
Full Name: Hardie Roets
Nickname: Hardie
Home Town: klerksdorp
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol GQY60 4.2diesel
GR SGR

Re: GRX Drivetrain / and Others

Post by Bush Whacker »

Dear Patrol drivers/ Owners. first post for me here on Nissan Patrol 4x4 Africa. Glad to be back in SA after running around the globe living everywhere. Had many a 4 x 4. My current car ( will never sell her ) is A 1995 Y 60 with 4.2 liter diesel with torbo and intercooler is better than ALL
4 x 4 's I have ever owned If I considder the total packege ****** Ride comfort, fuel consumption, standard equipment, power / torque practability.
long list. This is probably wrong forum to babble along on..... i know. Will claen up my act soon...... promise. just a few lines here.

I have a miles/ph tacho meter. Want to change to KM. Suggestions anyone????

Have front diff problem. Had play on wheel bearings ( without knowing ), engaged 4 x4 with difflocks on auto ( standing still ) heard a clanging noise when I pulled away. Disengeged 4 x4 driving backwards 3 m/. when moving forward, heard strage growling sounds. Slow down pull away.. starts again after 50 meteres or so.

Went to Nissan dealer... answer.... we do not know..... ,

I went home tightened wheel bearings, took front drive shaft off. Locked diff, drove around noise gone.

With prop shaft still off... put diff on auto, drive around,... growling noise back.

Put diff on lock, drive around like that now, front prop shaft still off, no noise. can I fix oit myself? Did something shift an account of the bearing play?? Where to get books on nissan drive axles diffs? any help will be appreciated.

in Return;

I have two great workshop manuals for Patrol GR Y 60 from nissan UK with engine / gearbox and all other engineering specs for petrol and diesel for rebuilding. Need copies???? regards bush whacker
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Welcome Bush Whacker.

Beats me why the 4.2 is not still available. Sorry to hear of your other issues. Hopefully one of the other guys will have an idea and chime in.
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: GRX Drivetrain / and Others

Post by Alex Roux »

Bush Whacker wrote: I have a miles/ph tacho meter. Want to change to KM. Suggestions anyone????

Have front diff problem. Had play on wheel bearings ( without knowing ), engaged 4 x4 with difflocks on auto ( standing still ) heard a clanging noise when I pulled away. Disengeged 4 x4 driving backwards 3 m/. when moving forward, heard strage growling sounds. Slow down pull away.. starts again after 50 meteres or so.

Went to Nissan dealer... answer.... we do not know..... ,

Hi Bush wacker,
Please do not expect too much from the Nissan dealers in SA.
Their mechanics are trained to do the basic stuff, change oil, plugs, break pads etc.
Give them a 4x4 specific problem on a Patrol and they are generally clueless.

You will find one name on this forum of someone who always gets strongly recommended.
That is Greame Cummings (Pathmaker on this forum)
Try pm him, else if he does not respond, you can pm me for his number, since he is not that active on the forum.
Greame is a mechanic with his own shop (in Centurion) but also has his own Patrol, and has sorted out many a problem with our vehicles.

On another note: I notice you previously had, inter alia the Lamborghini LM 200 as well as the Galandewagon
What was your experience of the Lambo off road? I realise in terms of parts and maintenance, it is completely unpractical. Just curious.

How was the G-wagon drive? Little flex, but very strong? How was the balance on the vehicle when riding obstacles?

Thanks

Alex
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

Good day
Welcome, check the freewheel hubs. The auto one's do attend to not lock properly and it wil make a noise.
Rdgs
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

tour de frans wrote:Good day
Welcome, check the freewheel hubs. The auto one's do attend to not lock properly and it wil make a noise.
Rdgs

That was my first thought as well - but even with the front propshaft removed?
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

Yes, the front wheels turn, and the freewheel hubs will make a noise, if they have a problem.
The problem with the auto hubs, when they are driven. The the engine gearbox transfercase, drive the wheels, the hubs normaly lock in. When the wheel drive the car. off the throtlle. The hubs jump out and get dammaged. Now when they need to lock, they dont, and make a noise. So with a damaged freewheel hub, Without the front drive shaft, The wheels turn with the car and the hub try to lock, but it dont lock propperly and make a noise.
The auto hubs on the Cruisers has the same problem.
NB: always lock the auto hubs manualy before driving in 4x4.
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.

Return to “10. Drivetrain”