I've got a '98 GU TD42 with an LSD at the back, when i got my Troll the LSd wasn't working at all so I went through the process below after MUCH discussion with a lot of senior folk on the Aussie Patrol Forum. Here's a description of what I did to resurrect my LSD (it had 320,000km's on it at the time...the post was by Ross, I don't usually talk about myself in the 3rd person ): http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=20
The method that we used to resurrect SRXy`s LSD was based on extensive research, and input obtained from the Aussie Patrol site. SRXy is overseas on business at the moment, but may still have the links to the specific posts saved somewhere...I`ll ask him when he gets back. Otherwise a bit of seaching on the Aussie site will probably unearth something similar to what I have outlined below:Basically the method we followed was as follows:
1. Drain existing std diff oil, and refill diff with Paraffin.
2. Drive slowly to a parking area about 100m down the road and drive in circles (did approx 20 in each direction). The idea of this is to make the diff do some work, and to scrub up the friction plates. Note: The idea is to do this a lowish speed, not burnouts or doughnuts!!!
3. Drive slowly back to SRXy`s garage, drain paraffin, and re-fill with fresh paraffin and repeat step 2.
4. Drain paraffin again, flush diff with more parafin, allow to air dry for a few hours with both plugs removed, then refill with Castrol LSX
5. After approx 500km, Drain and Replace
6. By this Stage the LSD was back in action, and improved further over the next few weeks of driving with the correct oil.
The LSD is still working vigorously
5yrs and 50,000km's later......
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
Desiderius Erasmus: circa 1510