Full Name: Wes
Nickname: the Knob...
Home Town: Slaapstad
Current 4x4: TD42T Patrol "The Wee Beasty", 373,000km's

Umm....this is a Patrol forum isn't it?
Home Language: engles

Re: SNORKELS

Post by SRXy »

The Safari installation instructions says "The air cleaner housing contains a drain valve that can permit water to enter". They suggest you blank it off with silicon and I figure they know what they're talking about. The grommet/drain valve is an open hole that can allow water to be sucked into the engine in a complete submersion. The way I see it....water will always follow the path of least resistance and if for some reason (be it heat or dust ) that little grommet fails on a long water crossing then you could be in trouble. We did a lot of water crossings where that entire section was submerged and I never had water in the airbox. Another point of weakness is where the plastic pipe coming from the air cleaner housing connects to the airfilter housing. It's not a tight seal, so I sealed that guy off as well. I've read a few stories about that being the source of failure for the snorkel system too. I agree with you for small crossings or riding in the rain, but if you're taking the vehicle through deep water crossings then I still think blanking the valve off is the safer bet.

I have my snorkel head faced backwards for dust that is kicked up when travelling in convoy. During normal driving I have it facing forward. The chances of getting water into the snorkel is minute and the design of the Safari head doesn't allow water to get down the snorkel very easily. I've driven in serious rain and checked afterwards....no water gets through. Running the snorkel head backwards makes a huge difference to the amount of dust that gets sucked up if you're driving behind someone else all day. I've never had anything larger than fine dust get caught in the rubber trap (the drain valve still in place, just the open slot at the bottom is blocked) and I don't get excessive dust or larger particles in my air filter.

I suppose at the end of the day it's a personal choice thing, that's driven by what you think you'll subject your truck to. When it comes to stuff like this I'm a firm convert of "Better "safe than sorry" and "prevention is better than cure". I honestly don't see any real harm that can be done with blocking off the drain valve.
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.

Desiderius Erasmus: circa 1510
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

Good day.
I supose you right,when it come to personel/terain you put your car through.If I may say,I still do not agree with the blocked trap.Let me say,for my own car atleast.Also,without a long story,our diesels will survive deeper water in a way,but what about the other electronic stuff and water in a car.Our diesels wont like that to.Safari built a very nice snorkel,I have one on my car,but then they must supply a water tight box for ecu's and so on.If you drive your car in deep water,dry enough not to wet the other valuble stuff,then and then only,I think the water wont reach your airdrum.
I wont have a problem blocking off my trap,I only worry about that water droplets that came past the snorkel head down the pipe.I know about the head that help the water out on the side.That is not water proof to. :lol:
Anyway, Like they say,we have the right to differ.
At the end of the day a snorkel look good on a Patrol.
Cheers
Frans
O yes you said:
The Safari installation instructions says "The air cleaner housing contains a drain valve that can permit water to enter". They suggest you blank it off with silicon and I figure they know what they're talking about.

So it be,But they built snorkels not cars!
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
SRXy
Full Name: Wes
Nickname: the Knob...
Home Town: Slaapstad
Current 4x4: TD42T Patrol "The Wee Beasty", 373,000km's

Umm....this is a Patrol forum isn't it?
Home Language: engles

Post by SRXy »

I'm sorry...I have to differ with you...a snorkel on a patrol looks DAMN good! hehehehe :woo:
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.

Desiderius Erasmus: circa 1510
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

Its ok... I Know... They look damn good on a Patrol :thumbup:
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.

Return to “09. Engines”