Full Name: Stefan Olivier
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Secunda
Current 4x4: 2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX Timing Chain Replacement

Post by Stefan_Olivier »

Good day to all.

I cannot find any reference to the replacement schedule for the timing chain on my 2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX; I have tried to find information on this forum as well as the workshop manuals to no avail.

Does anyone perhaps have any more knowledge regarding the maintenance requirements for the TB48DE timing chain?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Stefan Olivier
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Re: 2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX Timing Chain Replacement

Post by Peter Connan »

I don't think it's a service part? IE, I don't think it will need looking at before your first engine rebuild?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

Why do you want to replace that chain...????
Stefan_Olivier

Post by Stefan_Olivier »

Thanks for the speedy reply gentlemen. I don't really want to replace the timing chain if it's not required, but I also don't want to find out I should have replaced it after the engine blows up... I work in the mechanical maintenance environment and have come to realize that prevention is better than cure.

Since the weather has turned a bit colder, my vehicle has started making a rattling sound upon start-up which then proceeds to go away after a minute or two of driving. I suspected that the timing chain might be at fault hence my question regarding the replacement.

Do any of you perhaps have any thoughts regarding this rattling sound when starting the engine cold?

For reference, I recently replaced all of the drive belts at the front of the engine, as well as the engine oil with 5W40 Castrol Magnatec.

Regards,

Stefan Olivier
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Sounds like the tensioner rather than the chain itself?

And since that is oil-pressure driven, I think the problem is related to the oil or the oil pressure.

Did it ever make the noise before the oil change? If not, perhaps it doesn't like the Magnatec? Alternatively, perhaps there is a bit of sludge somewhere? In the old days, Castrol was known for sludge build-up, but I ran Magnatec in a couple of cars and never had any issues myself.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

Stefan_Olivier wrote: 02 Jul 2018 08:28 Thanks for the speedy reply gentlemen. I don't really want to replace the timing chain if it's not required, but I also don't want to find out I should have replaced it after the engine blows up... I work in the mechanical maintenance environment and have come to realize that prevention is better than cure.

Since the weather has turned a bit colder, my vehicle has started making a rattling sound upon start-up which then proceeds to go away after a minute or two of driving. I suspected that the timing chain might be at fault hence my question regarding the replacement.

Do any of you perhaps have any thoughts regarding this rattling sound when starting the engine cold?

For reference, I recently replaced all of the drive belts at the front of the engine, as well as the engine oil with 5W40 Castrol Magnatec.

Regards,

Stefan Olivier
this is my opinion on that Castrol oil you using...I will not touch it ..!!!!!
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.

Post by AndriesS »

Could the noise be the tappets? I know on my 4.8 when I start it for short periods. I .e. get home park car outside and only later the day park it in the garage , i.e. very short start , park in garage and switch off then from time to time the next start up will have the noise. Started happening after I started using Magnetec (and had a hell of a fright the first time), I'm using Helix now and can't recall it happening recently. 260k on the engine
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005
Home Language: English

Post by Chris Skinner »

Strange.. Ive been using the Magnatec for quite a few years now and never had any such problems. :mytwocents:
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

Chris Skinner wrote: 03 Jul 2018 18:32 Strange.. Ive been using the Magnatec for quite a few years now and never had any such problems. :mytwocents:
Chris jare terug toe motorsport nog groot was in SA was n klient deur Castrol geborg gewees en ons het baie probleme opgetel met enjins ,veral met daai clatter met die op start in die oggende ,veral met dubbele bo nok aste
Ons het later maar Shell of Mobil in die Castrol houers gegooi om die Borge gelukkig te hou....

Die olie het seker verbeter maar n ou hond bly maar n ou hond en ek sal dit nie sommer weer gebruik nie :mytwocents: :mytwocents:
Stefan_Olivier

Post by Stefan_Olivier »

Thanks for all the replies guys; much appreciated.

I have used Castrol Magnatec for some time in my vehicles now and this is the first issue that I have picked up. If this is a known issue, which oil is preferred for the TB48DE engine?

The rattling noise appears to be coming from the engine valve cover; could it be that the oil is quite thin and drains off the valve lifters?

I tried to illustrate the problem to a family member at an ambient temperature of about 20 degrees celsius and the problem was not present. The issue only occurs during very cold mornings (i.e. ambient temperatures of around zero to 10 celsius).

Regards,

Stefan Olivier

Return to “09. Engines”