Alternator belt

Engines and Engine Systems
izakjbrt
Full Name: Izak Joubert
Nickname: Izak
Home Town: Ramsgate
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4,8 GRX (PA-trol)
2012 Patrol 4.8 GRX (MA-trol)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Alternator belt

Post by izakjbrt »

Morning, quick question, how tight should the alternator belt be? I had mine replaced , but it’s doing the screech from hell when it starts in the mornings. Now I’ve checked, there is no place to use a wedge to pull the alternator belt tight. Only a single bolt to turn. So just want to know when is it the right tension?
2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 grx
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Re: Alternator belt

Post by iandvl »

izakjbrt wrote: 09 May 2018 10:14 Morning, quick question, how tight should the alternator belt be? I had mine replaced , but it’s doing the screech from hell when it starts in the mornings. Now I’ve checked, there is no place to use a wedge to pull the alternator belt tight. Only a single bolt to turn. So just want to know when is it the right tension?
There are two bolts. The one on the side of the adjustment bolt is the "lock" bolt. Loosen it before adjusting tension, or it's not going to work. And remember to tighten it up again when you're done.

The manual mentions that the maximum deflection should be 12mm for the alternator belt, when 98 N is applied to the centre of the top of the belt.

However, I don't have the tools for measuring this stuff, so I just make sure that the belt can be "rolled" slightly by hand when it is fitted. In short: you don't want the belt too tight, or it is going to eat the alternator bearings.

Information relating to this can be found in the "MA" section of the Patrol manual (the link is here somewhere: http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7667)
manuals.png
manuals.png (123.8 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Bre
Full Name: Brent Harris
Nickname: Bre
Home Town: Bellville
Current 4x4: 1999 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
2000 Nissan Terrano II 2.7 TDi Sport
2003 Nissan Hardbody 3.3 SEL DC 4x4
Home Language: English

Re: Alternator belt

Post by Bre »

The screeching is quickly resolved by applying a little door lube to the inside of the belt. You can get it from Midas or Autozone.

Return to “09. Engines”