Rodney
Full Name: Rodney Smith
Nickname: Rodney
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: 2013 3.0D GL
Home Language: English

Shadecloth cover radiator

Post by Rodney »

I dont see any comment or guidance on the forum on seed protection of radiator. Clearly most radiator covers are a form of shadecloth.

Any advice :think: ? Shadecloth comes from 1% protection to something like 80% protection. I assume the better the sun protection the less flow-through of air?

We will be visiting Botswana later this year, and south eastern Angola (after rainy season) early 2019. The guide we are joining on both trips recommends that we cover the radiator.

1. Which shadecloth?
2. Mount close to radiator or further away. Some people seem to wrap on the outside of the grill....
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Shadecloth cover radiator

Post by Tinus lotz »

Better to go from bonnet to bashplate infront of the grill like very low 15% or so ....you need airflow and want to keep the seeds out
graham1
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D

Post by graham1 »

Just remember to ONLY have the net on going through the grass. Don’t leave it on for any longer than you have to as it limits the airflow big time.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Having the shade cloth in front of the bumper leaves it vulnerable to thorn bushes. Whether this will be an issue depends on the type of trip.

I personally feel that under the conditions where grass seeds will be a problem, vehicle speed and engine load is likely to be fairly low, and thus a heavier shade net shouldn't be an issue. But that changes quickly if you have to tow somebody through deep sand...

On the other hand, there's absolutely no point in using something that is permeable to seeds. I reckon you need at least 70%, and ideally it should be relatively quick and easy to fit and remove...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
gupster
Full Name: Barry Guppy
Nickname: Baz
Home Town: Hibberdene
Current 4x4: 2001 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GRX
2005 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GR

Post by gupster »

On a trip to Drotskys caves I drove through long grass growing on the middle manetjie and could not believe how blocked my radiator became from the seeds. At the caves I cleaned the radiator as best as I could and fitted cheese cloth that I had, from under the bonnet down to the bumper to prevent further seeds. I experienced no overheating even though I left it on all the way into Namibia via the Dobe border post and only removed it at Roys Camp in Nam. Like Peter says, at the low speed one travels along these roads their is little strain on the engine even though the sand is quite deep in some places. I then noticed that seed nets for radiators are available at a lot of places but have always used the cheese cloth I had when needed
Have Troll, will travel.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by Clem »

It can be very difficult – even with shade cloth – to keep grass seeds out of radiators. I have been there. Despite my best efforts to fit shade cloth and keep the grass seed out of the radiator, driving through miles of virgin veld (no roads) left me with a very blocked radiator. It didn't cause any major problems but in the end I had to have the radiator chemically cleaned. This wasn't on a Patrol but the principle is no different. Even the air filter was absolutely clogged with grass seed because it had entered through the snorkel head.

There is only so much you can do. If you're going to do serious grass driving, reconcile yourself to the fact that you're probably going to have to pull those radiators out at some point and have them properly cleaned.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

........ and on a side note..... be careful of the hot exhaust on dry grass....... sheet can get real very fast and you don't want change your Patrol int a braai !!!!

I'd put the seed net to cover as much as possible, and like Clem said the seeds will get in anyway, but hopefully a lot less than without a net
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

The 40% shade cloth is what we always use - [ I use the "block" factor, some of you may refer to it as the 60% shade cloth]
This is what I've been using since 1997 ...
VERY NB to clean the underside regularly AND DO NOT PARK ON LONG GRASS WITH THE HOT EXHAUST .. knoe where th eexhozt is and put that over th eone spoor if you HAVE to stop in long grass
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

I bought one from Outdoor Warehouse 500X 800 and fitted it on for the Bots trip once we hit the dirt and never took it off till i got home. It worked 100% and fits like a glove
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by Clem »

Re grass and exhausts, pay special attention to the catalytic convertor. They operate at very high temperatures.

Return to “09. Engines”