Full Name: Edward Weatherall-Thomas
Nickname: Edward
Home Town: Thabazimbi
Current 4x4: 1995 4.2SGL
2001 3.0 TD
Home Language: Afrikaans

TD42 injector pump

Post by EdwardWT »

Hoping some of the diesel fans can assist me with this one. I bought a TD42T engine recently to replace my current ZD30 with. The TD42 came out of a UD40 truck so it is turbo'd as standard. After fitting the engine in my Patrol, i couldnt get more than 0.4 bar boost. I had the injectors done so they are perfect now. The problem I now have is that apparently the injector pump is for a NA engine and not for a turbo engine. From what I understand there is some sort of part missing from my pump that is present on a turbo pump. I saw some pics on the internet of boost compensators on the pumps. Could this be it? If so, what is the purpose there of? This has a pipe leading from it but I cant see where it goes. Any help will be much appreciated.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Re: TD42 injector pump

Post by Tinus lotz »

The 4.2 can be fitted with a boost compensator ...pump also need to be set up for turbo ....what did you set the injectors up to ?
The H18 turbo can boost 1.1 to 1.2 bar no problem ....pump needs to come off go on test bench get set up needs spill timing set and no boost feul ave feul ect set up to the egt .
Also the waste gate needs to set up to allow correct amount of boost....what pipe are you running?
Best bet is get car to micheal he will sort you out in no time
Anthony Forgey
Full Name: Anthony Forgey
Nickname: Anthony
Home Town: Randburg
Current 4x4: 98 4.2D (turbo'd)
Home Language: English

Post by Anthony Forgey »

Hi Edward

any relation to Ronald Weatherall-Thomas?

Michael has done loads of turbo conversions using the standard td42 pump both with and without the boost compensator. I recon it probably needs to be tuned by someone who knows the ins and outs of turbos and turbodiesel tuning. A visit to Michael will probably be very beneficial. If there is an issue, he will find it then at least you will know exactly where to begin.
Intelligence is measured in smarts, stature is measured in hearts
EdwardWT
Full Name: Edward Weatherall-Thomas
Nickname: Edward
Home Town: Thabazimbi
Current 4x4: 1995 4.2SGL
2001 3.0 TD

Post by EdwardWT »

Thanks guys, seems that Michael is the way to go. I took off the pump and gave it in to have the compensator installed. Should have it back by Friday

Anthony,
Dont know, i dont really know that side of the family but quite possibly seeing that its not a surname that you hear everyday

Return to “09. Engines”