Full Name: Chris Byrne
Nickname: ChrisB
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: GU 3.0 CRD
Home Language: English

3.0 CRD Boost/ Boost Readings & Altitude

Post by ChrisB »

Hi All,

I have a question on boost or boost readings taken from the OBII port and the Torque App or similar. I have searched the forum but cannot find anything on this subject. Apologies if it has been asked before.

At highveld altitude, the boost readings do not go above 10.5 PSI ( +-.7Bar) at most. The readings will stay at around 10.1/ 10.2 but not go above 10 with the exception of momentary readings of 11/12. At higher altitudes, 2000M or so the readings drop to 8s and 9s.

When at lower altitudes of 200-300M the readings go up 14/15 PSI.Based on the Aussie forms, I understand that the CRD motors standard boost should be around 16psi/1.1 bar.

At first, I thought the readings were as a result of the sensor or the app and not true boost and that the perceived power increase was in my head. However, having recently returned from the lowveld the vehicle feels a lot stronger at the higher boost readings/ lower altitude. The turbo sounds from the snorkel are also more noticeable at the higher readings/ lower altitudes. There also seems to be less smoke from the exhaust when pulling off and changing gears when at lower altitudes/ higher boost readings.

I now think that there is an issue somehow related to altitude/ boost at altitude? The vehicle is going to Nissan next week for a service. Any suggestions as to what I should be asking them to take a look at?

I have previously asked Nissan if there would be any issues if I were to install an EGT Guage and they said it will void the warranty? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: 3.0 CRD Boost/ Boost Readings & Altitude

Post by Tinus lotz »

I think they are not even checking becouse joshj was allowed to do it i can call some guys and find out for you
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Thanks Tinus. That would be great.

If the boost is actually low, I would imagine the EGT's would be higher than they would ordinarily be? I would like to monitor and prevent any damage.
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

Hi Chris,

Yes, nissan allowed me to install a madman to monitor egt's.

The boost vary due to air thickness on various altitudes. And the nissan computer is to ignorant to try and accommodate to keep the boost limited and steady no matter what the altitude.

I had a chip and 3" freeflow installed. They got the boost controled with the chip. They actually set it so nice that anything past 3/4 on the fuel pedal in 5th gear, the boost wood pic up to 1.2bar from normal 1bar to drop the egt's.

This served as a protection because one tends to give more pedal and stay in 5th gear on uphills as a natural instinct. Causing high egt's and posibble engine failure.

Nissan obviously did not aprove the chip and freeflow. I took the risk on myself. My thoughts where that these mods will rather prolong my engine life. And I still want the car for many years. As to drive it their way and as soon as warrenty expires than I have problems.
:mytwocents:

Std boost is 0.7bar on highveldt. They took mine to 1.0bar with the chip. 1 bar is great. To much boost and you end up loosing power. Your MiL light will come on over 1.5bar.
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply. Bitter Sweet.

Happy to hear that there isn't a fault with my vehicle. Sad to hear that boost will be limited to 0.7 at highveld without using a chip. The vehicle feels so much better at the lower altitudes and more boost.

I will speak with the workshop manager next week to see if they will allow the EGT gauge. No need to worry about going uphill in 5th, there isn't enough power :doh:

Now to sort out the veering to the left issue. I have already taken the vehicle to Tyre Mart who have said its a lot worse than the other patrols and they suggest I speak to Nissan about this.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

What possible reason could Nissan have to void the warranty on the fitment of an EGT gauge? That's just screwed up. I would definately take it higher up the "chain of command".

As for the pulling left: it is well known that lifting a panhard-rod live-axle vehicle will result in a directional pull. If the guys at your Tiremart are used to standard-height cars, they would say this.

There is probab;y nothing Nissan can do about this, as none of the adjusrments available make any difference.

One thing you can do is to fit bias springs between the between the drag link and the axle, but I would recommend just living with it, as those things have their own drawbacks.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Hi Peter,

I agree and I couldn't understand it. I am aware there are some issues with the exhaust manifold on the 3.0's. I didn't want to give Nissan a reason to reject a claim if mine developed an issue. If however, the manifold is the only part that will be "voided" it might be worth the risk considering what else can go wrong, along the same lines of what Josh has said.

Regarding the pulling left, I had read about the issue before, my jeep did the same but the patrol is very bad and the steering wheel has to sit to the right in order to go straight. After recommendation I took it to Autowiel in Centurion, not Tyre Mart ( got the names mixed up) Barrend and his team tried to sort it out but couldn't, they did mention that they are aware of the issues on other Patrols. As I have no reference to what is normal and what is not, I asked that they take it for a drive. They said it is worse than the " normal pull" and recommended I take it back to Nissan. I agree with you and I don't think that they will be able to address this, was hoping I could reduce the veering to the left to a slight pull to the left.

Those two issues aside I'm loving the Patrol :driving:
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

I assume you have tried rotating the tires?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Yep. The issue was there with the previous set of tyres Bridgestone Dullers H/T's and became more pronounced once I fitted the A/T's.

I have since had the A/T's swapped left to right etc and it made no noticeable difference.

Return to “09. Engines”