Home Town: COLIGNY
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.2D SGL Y61
Nissan Patrol 2.8l, 1985
VW Tiguan 2.0tdi, 2009
Home Language: Afrikaans/German

Diesel Cure Fuel additive, for 4.2d?

Post by ces »

Hi guys,

I've had my 4.2d (Jasper) for 9 months now. Since it is an old motor, designed to run on 500ppm diesel, I have followed the advice I got to add some 2stroke oil (250ml on 80l tank) every time I fill up with 50ppm diesel, to help with the lubrication. By now I know where to find 500ppm in my area!

Today my Wurth rep came to see me, and asked about the 3 cans of Diesel Cure (their product) that have been sitting on my shelf since 2011. That opened the discussion regarding my choice of "additive". He agreed that the 2 stroke would sort out the lubrication requirement, but reckoned that in time sludge could build up because of it, potentially blocking injectors or packing on in fuel pump. Also, nothing would protect the engine components against stuff like "skelm" added water/paraffin or impurities that settle at the bottom of bulk fuel tanks.
In come his product... (now remember this is a good rep!) Diesel Cure will attach itself to the water or paraffin and protect your components against the damage it could cause. Also, it will provide the lubrication required in our case with the older motors. And it throws in a mould and rust inhibitor.

Some testimonials in our area suggest better fuel consumption even (on tractors and trucks), and less smoke on bakkies.

I have decided to give it a go on the farm, for 3 reasons:
1) I have a rather mixed bunch of engines to think of - ranging from the early 1970's to very current. All these have now been running on 50ppm for at least 5 years - catering for the much more expensive common rail technology. Sometimes we get even higher grades (up to 15ppm), which sounds nice, but how little lubrication is in that!?.
2) Impurities remain a worry. After having to do a tractor's injectors a few years ago, I installed extra filters in my bulk storage facilities, as well as on my diesel carts. This is a next step.
3) It would also help reduce the damage with possible sabotage.

I will add the Diesel Cure in bulk to the 50ppm, 1cc/1l fuel (1/1000). Cost = 22-27c/l.
So, it is expensive, but so are engine components.

Plan is to have a small can in my Patrol, to add to 50ppm in stead of the 2 stroke oil. Please share your opinion.

Lekker ry!
Christoph
"Sou die hand van die HERE te kort wees? Nou sal jy sien of my woord vir jou uitkom of nie." - Numeri 11,23
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Diesel Cure Fuel additive, for 4.2d?

Post by Tinus lotz »

I get 8km l on 50 and 9km per liter on 500 i add 250mil of 2 stroke to a tank of 50 once i put 10ppm in my bakkie and my engine wasnt happy ....old style two stoke works very good .....mabe the fancy bottles works better i dont know ...what i can say is that i drive moz flat with power parrafin and 2 stoke in a 2.5diesel isuzu bakkie did about 15000 km like that and no problems ....will i put it in a new crd ..
Dont think so :mytwocents:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

The additive debate is a never ending debate....

I am a 2 stroke user in my TD42 diesel Patrol. Why? Because it makes me feel better should I get some dodgy fuel from some strange place. Here in SA, I put 2 stroke every second or third tank. Consumption can vary I believe, but again it's all in the eye of the beholder.

As for the 3.0 Patrol ( ZD30 ), they can run on 500ppm diesel too ( Was told this by Nissan and I believe it is documented ), which is a great thing compared to many other overlanding vehicles. so a little 2 stroke in those motors ( in lesser quantity ratio ) I think will do no harm at all.

Bear in mind that 500ppm diesel herein SA is almost impossible to find. what they sell as 500ppm diesel is if fact anywhere from 51ppm and upwards. So you might actually be filling up with 60 or 70ppm diesel from a 500ppm dispenser. The law states that they cannot sell it under anything other than 500ppm. Its also mostly the big transport trucks that run on this fuel.

Antibacterial and fungus additives will always be a good thing in a diesel, especially if it stands for longish time periods, so I think a blowout with these types of additives every now and a gain will be a good thing.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Michael »

I dont use any aditive in my fuel except when I can only find 20ppm, then I add 2 stroke.

What Cedeic said is important and I have also heard this from someone to be true. 500ppm is really not 500ppm but more likely closer to 50ppm than we think. I prefer the "500ppm" because its cheaper and it has more sulpher in which is good. I thank its still available from all Shell garages.

Im not a fan of anything except diesel going into my fuel tank.
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

I used to get my diesel at the farmers depot or Co-op 55 gal drum at a time.

It worked great on an old 300D merc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!

Return to “09. Engines”