Full Name: Johann van der Spuy
Nickname: Johann 1984
Home Town: Kimberley
Current 4x4: 2013 Nissan Patrol 3.0 Tdi
Home Language: Afrikaans

3.0 - V8 conversion

Post by Johann 1984 »

Guys,

I am thinking of doing a V8 conversion on a 3.0 Patrol. Can anyone advise on a good and professional workshop that will do such a job very professionally. I need the vehicle to be super reliable. I've read the Brunswick page in AUS and seen what they do with various old-school Chevrolet V8's. Especially the 6.5L. Any other ideas for similar diesel V8's?

Anyone done this? Experiences? I want it to take this overlander to the next level. It's a 2005 GU. Can get it at a great great deal. So, tell me what you think? Will the rest of the driveline handle an old-school V8? What are perhaps modern alternatives?

Cheers...
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Re: 3.0 - V8 conversion

Post by Peter Connan »

The owner of JR's exhausts in Roodepoort has or had a GQ with an old Yank V8 in it. Unfortunately I have no idea who did the job, or anything else about it.

Tommie had a modern Chev V8 in his previous car, tuned to deliver very serious power. He did have some issues with gearbox and rear diff during the life of the car, but considering the amount of power he was pushing, I think it was surprisingly little.

So it can be done.

Don't expect it to be light on fuel though. Personally, I would rather swop the car for a 4.5... Cars don't come much more reliable than that.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Tour de frans is your man he does the lm7 full feul injected motors speak to him ....or a td42t one 12 v opening pump thats it.
I would also say a 4.5 is the better over landing car
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Johann 1984 wrote:Guys,

I am thinking of doing a V8 conversion on a 3.0 Patrol. Can anyone advise on a good and professional workshop that will do such a job very professionally. I need the vehicle to be super reliable. I've read the Brunswick page in AUS and seen what they do with various old-school Chevrolet V8's. Especially the 6.5L. Any other ideas for similar diesel V8's?

Anyone done this? Experiences? I want it to take this overlander to the next level. It's a 2005 GU. Can get it at a great great deal. So, tell me what you think? Will the rest of the driveline handle an old-school V8? What are perhaps modern alternatives?

Cheers...
Hi Johan

First question just as a matter of interest:
What is the condition of the 3.0's engine?
If it is still good, you should be able to get something for it.

My view is with v8 conversions, they are very seldom reliable.
In Tommie's case he had to replace and repair the starter motor a number of times. I suspect because of heat.

Reasons:
1) In terms of maintenance post conversion - some mackies' eyes become watery if you tell them it is a conversion. You will not be able to just drive into any Nissan dealership any longer.
2) Shops like RG Motorsports have a policy not to work on conversions, as they feel they are exposed to the quality of unknown prior workmanship.
3) The Patrol chassis is relatively narrow, which makes v8 conversions difficult for everything to fit. The V requires the pipes to come down from both sides of the car. The Patrol underbody does not give you the space you may want for the pipes. So it is a tight fit underneath
4) Doing it right the first time, making sure it is reliable, is very expensive. replacing plumbing and wiring, and making sure it is done reliably - I agree with Tinus, talk to Frans.
5) Making sure that the engine is easily servicable, given the location of items (such as the starter motor and the alternator) is something that Frans would be able to comment on too, given his experience in both v8 conversions and working on Patrols.
6) If you want to use the car for overlanding, make sure the engine can handle water! E.g. some engines's alternator sits relatively low. Engines designed for 4x4 typically positions the altenator higher. The engine may not necessarily stall on you, but the damage done to the alternator is more likely when sitting lower.

If your heart is set on a v8 then that is it, but personally, even though I have a very reliable v8 conversion, it is one of very few, and I would think twice before doing it again.

If you go nuts for the sound of that engine, and if only for dunes, then yes, but for overlanding, I would say no.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Johann 1984

Post by Johann 1984 »

Hi Guys,

The vehicle doesn't have an engine. The motor has issues and has been pulled. The current owner doesn't have the capital to fix the ZD30 up again. Neither do I. That was why I was thinking experimenting with a V8. Because the Aussies seem to nail it. When you guys talk about the 4.5, I take it we're talking about a 4.5 Patrol Patrol engine? Just for interest sake, does the 4.2 engine (diesel), without turbo, fit onto the engine mountings of the ZD30 GU? Is it plug and play? Would that be a feasible alternative? Can one import new 4.2's from Japan?

Thanks...

Johann
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

The TD42 would be the easiest engine to fit as you dont need to modify much.

The chassie mounts need to be moved forward and the belhousing needs to be either changed with a TD42 belhousing or you can mod the current one to fit.

You can import them or you can buy one from me. Depending on your budget its not the cheapest engine to build so keep that in mind.

Do you want to go turbo or NA?
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
SCUBA Patrol
Full Name: Phillip Jacobs
Nickname: Phillip
Home Town: Cape Town (Stellenbosch)
Current 4x4: Patrol 2006 3l diesel(die eerste Voetspore een)

Post by SCUBA Patrol »

Johann,

Have a chat with Michael Steyn on the site (Michael). He is the 4.2 gurru and can assist.
Phillip
2006 3l with MADMAN
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Johann 1984 wrote:Hi Guys,

The vehicle doesn't have an engine. The motor has issues and has been pulled. The current owner doesn't have the capital to fix the ZD30 up again. Neither do I. That was why I was thinking experimenting with a V8. Because the Aussies seem to nail it. When you guys talk about the 4.5, I take it we're talking about a 4.5 Patrol Patrol engine? Just for interest sake, does the 4.2 engine (diesel), without turbo, fit onto the engine mountings of the ZD30 GU? Is it plug and play? Would that be a feasible alternative? Can one import new 4.2's from Japan?

Thanks...

Johann
Johann, let me know if (by any chance) you are changing your mind on buying this car
There may be another buyer.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Johann 1984

Post by Johann 1984 »

Michael, if possible, I'd like to fit a non-turbo charged 4.2 diesel. If I convert the 3.0 to a 4.2 NA diesel, can I drive to any Nissan dealership to have it fixed or services or repaired for example? How durable and of what quality is the 4.2 'heart implant'?

Perhaps this is the way to go...
Johann 1984

Post by Johann 1984 »

I know very little of the 4.2 engine. Let's compare it to the Toytoa LC4.2 Diesel? How comaprible?

Return to “09. Engines”