Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Tombo Radiators

Post by iandvl »

My radiator was replaced last year following an unfortunate incident with a broken fan. Graham replaced it with a Tombo radiator, and I believe several other forum members also have these radiators.

I've always had one thing which has made me uncomfortable with the Tombo radiator, and that is the fact that the top expansion tank seems to be very close to the inside of the bonnet when the bonnet is closed - so much so that there are definite light scratches on both the expansion tank, as well as the inside of my bonnet from vibrations whilst driving. Because this has always bothered me, (ie: basically ever since I've had the radiator installed and noticed that there seemed to be contact between the radiator and bonnet), I regularly put that funny sticky foam tape onto of the radiator as well as on the inside of the bonnet - ie: Just so that there is no metal-to-metal contact between the two...

In any case, my worst fears realised this morning. Over the last two days, the vehicle lost water. Not a lot, but enough to require a bit of a refill of the overflow tank in the morning. Yesterday I checked all the clamps. This morning, after dropping the kids off at school, I popped the hood. Noticed a bit of water oozing out from under my foam sticky tape type thing. Removing this, there was a very fine jet of water spraying out from the top expansion tank - right where the potential contact with the inside of the bonnet would be. I can only assume that my most recent trips to Mozambique and Lesotho (long distances on sub-optimal roads) were the final straw.

I've chatted with Graham, and I'll get the thing fixed. But it just worries me, as this appears to be something which could happen again.... I'm not sure whether my radiator is just strange - ie: not entirely built to specificaiton.

Is there anybody else with a 4.5 with a Tombo radiator who can clarify whether your radiator also sits as "tightly" as mine ? ie: Does your radiator make a definite mark on the bonnet or vice-versa ?

In the meantime, and after chatting with Graham, I've plugged the leak with radiator epoxy. I will see if it holds in an hour.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Re: Tombo Radiators

Post by hugejp »

Good luck boet, hope it works for now!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Tombo Radiators

Post by Tinus lotz »

Ian there is nothing wrong with the radiators we use them all the time the problem comes when fitting we needed to give them feedback that the tank is to close to the bonnet and they will sort it out ....i will send you Billy' s no they will go out of their way to make it 100% for you ....there are pleanty of the alli top tanks that are going to fail due to rubbing between tank and bonnet ....Sam must also check his one :mytwocents:

Return to “09. Engines”