Full Name: Dan ahern
Nickname: danny
Home Town: newcastle west
Current 4x4: nissan patrol y61 04 model 3.0 DI
Home Language: ENGLISH

Nissan Patrol Y61 (ZD30) Uncommon problem

Post by Dan A »

Hello all,

I have this unusual one to throw your way about my Y61 PATROL, ok first some history about me and my Patrol, i registered on this forum many years ago but not sure if i used it much.Anyway, HELLO ALL!! Greetings from the emerald isle (Ireland)
So i got the old beast back in 2010, used but very low milage of only 40000K's so at the time i fitted a new solid flywheel (SMF) TO REPLACE the older (DMF) as the previous owner had not looked after the clutch it didn't live too long.It is a 2004 Grey DI model with full leather (manual) i have been using a Diesel additive on and off as i felt it kept my Injectors clean and fuel lines/filter, called Dipetane, Mecanics use it here to lower soot and carbon build up and help with vechiles to get the emissions lowered so i personally felt it was good now and then for my fuel system and IP,just a personal preference.It is strong stuff and one would not need to use it too much as it would decarbonize /deglaze the pistons and rings so much it could use some oil but that would not be a problem as all you need to do then is back off for a while again but it is awesome for the fuel system and tank etc and we can suffer bad diesel here so it helps a little too in that regard.

Anyway,i now have 250000 miles (370000kmh) which is quite a bit, i have never had any problems from this old workhorse apart from the normal servicable things, bearings,kingpins, hub seals.Tensioner and belt at around 150000miles, powersteering box and pump, apart from that just the usual stuff,i did change one MAF sensor aswell around 50000K's ago .I tow very heavy loads a lot,a large tipper trailer as i sell firewood and turf i always use it working hard,i travel far in not so perfect conditions (offroad) and on bad roads and as i say always towing,so my Patrol has been worked hard.

So, my dramas started recently,i went to do my routine service and as i was doing it i sheered my lower sump pan stud (no problem right?) we just take down the lower sump and get the thing rethreaded and this is what i done,but as i had it off i found a phillips head small screw sitting in the lower sump :doh:

Ok, so after a lot of research on the other Patrol forum and asking around who i thought may know i narrowed it down to it been from my Oil pump,as far as i know there are over a dozen of these small scrwes holding it in place, Not only that,my oil pick up pipe had broke it's bracket too in the uppersump.

So now,here i am 4000miles later i have decided to keep driving it (it is driving perfect) no problems,my oil light goes out fast in the morning...all is well.

I have decided due to lack of experienced enough mecanics here on the old beast that it would be insane to do that amount of stripping ,upper sump and gearbox needs to come out, it could be a possible engine in out job... timing chain off and maybe replaced, new oil pump etc etc....But would it all be needed is the big question then i have labour costs and the insecurity of the mecanic who i'm not sure would be skilled enough to do the work..

So, what i have decided to do now is drive on, fit an oil pressure gauge and shake hands with the devil when he arrives :lol: and if he does arrive i plan to take out the engine and take it to an engine builder and do what has to be done,but the oil pressure gauge may prevent that from happening if i keep a close eye on it!? Patrol parts are not too expensive these days,i was quoted 400euros for a brand new oil pump and 200euros for a timing chain kit which is not so bad really! So in the event of me having problems this would be a better plan as the job is an engine in out job anyway to get at that damn oil pump to even inspect it :redface:

So far so good, 4000miles later and all is well... but i'm afraid my pick up pipe may fall out completly now as i have not got around to been able to put a tack of weld in there,we plan on doing it through the lower sump,but it's also a pain of a job due to lack of space....

My question is can this pick up pipe fall out or will the O ring hold it in place??
Anyone take off a ZD30 sump can you tell me please?

So i know this is a lot to Digest in one post but what are your thougths on this unusual Patrol issue!?? i have heard it happeneing on CRD models but never on one of these.

Thanks!
Dan
Attachments
danpatrol 2.JPG
danpatrol 2.JPG (46.99 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Screw u 4.jpg
Screw u 4.jpg (31.37 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Screw u 3.jpg
Screw u 3.jpg (30.32 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Screw u 2.jpg
Screw u 2.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Screw u 1.jpg
Screw u 1.jpg (15.69 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
005.JPG
005.JPG (6.74 MiB) Viewed 2737 times
Beast to a polish 1.JPG
Beast to a polish 1.JPG (87.26 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Nissan Patrol Y61 (ZD30) Uncommon problem

Post by Peter Connan »

I don't know these engines at all. Does the pickup only have the one bracket?

Having said that, as part of my job I probably have more experience with o-rings than most, and I guess it would probably be fine as the pickup is not a heavy part, and it's not really subjected to any forces other than vibration

But, like you, I would be nervous about it. And therefore, I would recommend taking the lower sump off again, cleaning the pickup tube and bracket, and then applying a liberal dose of Pratley's steel putty.

While this stuff doesn't last well in petrol, it does seem to be surprisingly resistant to oil. I have repaired a stone-bashed aluminium sump with it, and a friend repaireed a cracked engine-block with it a long time ago. That particular crack was on one of the primary oil passages directly after the pump on a golf engine (thus subject to high oil pressure) and the repair lasted a couple of years.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Unkredible
Full Name: Bruce Williamson
Nickname: Unkredible
Home Town: Rivonia
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 3.0GL converted to TD42i
Home Language: E

Post by Unkredible »

My ZD30 lost 2 of those screws - one ended up in the timing chain, which caused it to snap and ended up rebuilding the motor...
Be careful...
2005 Patrol GL ex 3.0d now TD42
285x75x16 MT
40l S/S Nat Luna Beer Fridge, with Draught tap...
Bigger Intercooler, EGT, Boost Gauge
DC-DC Charger
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Wilkie »

My thoughts...pull that motor and fix it by dropping sump and timing cover ..its not so costly maybe a weekend and a box of ale's than waiting for the big bang :mytwocents: :mytwocents:

Return to “09. Engines”