Nickname: Pete
Home Town: Harare
Current 4x4: Toyota Prado 95
Patrol pick up
Home Language: English

Lexus 1uz-fe v8 conversion

Post by Petebenzon »

Hi all.

I am from Zimbabwe and I have got a y60 project I am looking at options for. Basically I would like to go for a Lexus v8 because they are well documented as a good strong cheap engine. The vehicle had a td42 in it which has got to the mileage where it has become uneconomical to rebuild having been overheated and head is cracked
So what I am looking for is some advice on who the best people are to buy a good solid motor from where I am not going to have any trouble once I get it to zim. For sure I will be unable to return it. There are a bewildering amount of ads on google for Lexus v8s so would like some advice on who is good. Also What fuel management system to go for? I would definitely want a prewired one The original computer box with immobilizer disabled would seem to me to be the better option because expertise and dyno,s for tuning are a little short here and Toyota must know what they are doing when they map it. But I am open to options

Is it better to adapt to the original manual box? Then you are not modifying prop shafts and the speedo should work What clutch do you use and is there an off the shelf adapter plate I can buy with flywheel.

Or do you use the Lexus autobox and then in that case what transfer box do you use that will match the patrol ratios.

What I would like to get to is a tried and tested combination that won't give me trouble. I can get adapter plates made here but the cost is prohibitive.
I will be doing the work myself as I am a fairly experienced mechanic

Thanks for your help

Pete
TijmenvdS
Full Name: Tijmen van der Steenhoven
Nickname: Tijmen
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1997 Patrol TD42 GQ ST
Chevrolet 1974 K10 402 V8
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Lexus 1uz-fe v8 conversion

Post by TijmenvdS »

Good day

Please do not put a lexus in. :surprised:
My father has one in his safari and has been regretting it ever since . When it sees mud or water it starts it troubles. Just like the v8 cruiser the alternator is way to low and gets clogged with mud easily. The starter sits in the v of the intake manifold which has 2 small holes to drain water but if it gets clogged the starter ceases.
There is a reason so many lexus converted vehicles are for sale, they only realize the mistake afterwards. So few truly sucsesfull sories around that I have heard. a Conversion wil allways need tinkering in my opinion.

It has great power and the most positive Lexus engine I have heard about is the 4.3L.
If you are deritmined to buy one do so with the original harness and engine management. Keep your manual box because the 4 speed automatic quickly overheats especially in sand if not propperly overkilled cooled and searches for gears when towing.
With the manual gear box and avoiding mud and water I think it is a good engine that wil perform well with sand and towing and a pleasure on road.
Fuel consumption you will hear stories about 10-15km/l but around 8 is more realistic. :mytwocents:

There are a few diesel magicians on the forum and I have heard the sounds of their 4.2 with turbos. Heavenly roars comparable only to old propper generation V8's
So maybe not a rebuild but a newer engine with some persuasion from a turbo...

Looking forward to other replies. :thumbup:
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

I could write a very long post about this... but I wont bore you.

I have done a few conversions now & it never works out to be the cheap way of solving a problem.

You can build a great 4.2TD engine for way less than a lexus conversion...

IMHO the choice is a simple one.

Regards

J
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum.

Alex Roux has a Lexus conversion in his Patrol and he is happy.
He had some small problems after the conversion and will be able to give you a realistic number on how much exactly it cost him.

A brand new TD42 turbo rebuilt engine will cost you 65k drive in and drive out within 2 weeks. You will have 140 - 160kw and 430+ Nm
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
jonathan
Full Name: Jonathan Venter
Nickname: jonathan
Home Town: Jacobsbaai
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX

Post by jonathan »

Welcome Peter

I would also not go the Lexus route - although I am busy with project using one myself :think:. In my case however it is not a conversion but a complete build, so I do not have all the issues related to a conversion.

If after considering all the pro's & con's and still decide to go for Lexus motor I would suggest speaking to Derrick at V8 Solid (https://lexusv8shop.co.za/contact-us)

He uses the original Lexus computer set-up and wiring and was of huge help to me. And his prices are good :thumbup:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

As much as I love the sound of Alex's Lexus Patrol, doing a proper conversion is going to cost a lot more than doing a full rebuild of that TD42 motor.

Being that yours is a Y60 I am assuming that it is a silver top TD42 ( check your alternator if there is a vacuum pump at the back of it ). If so, you have an advantage over the newer TD42's ( Black top ). You can use most parts from the TD27 motor as they both use identical pistons and rings and bearings too if I'm not mistaken, and believe it or not the TD27 parts are cheaper than the TD42 parts. You will just need to buy extras as the TD27 is a 4 cylinder.

If you have a read on this thread below. You can get a load of info on rebuilding the TD42. It is a loooooong thread, but lots of valuable info in there. It was my motor that I rebuilt myself, and 5 years on down the line and the Iron Maiden is still kickin' up mud!!

http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f= ... n%E2%80%A6
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I found something interesting on one of the engines I am busy building.

It is a TD42 with the vacuum pump on the alternator and has the 28mm gudgeon pin piston. Weird thing is that there are no turbo pistons available in the 28mm pin size. Sounds like all the NA TD27 engines had 28mm pistons and the turbo models had the 30mm ones.

I have to now resize the conrods to be able to put in the right stuff or get other conrods (which is not an easy find)
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Yeah it is wierd, cause my motor has the 30mm gudgeon pins and was definitively not a turbo motor to start with. Thats why I think they chucked all the odd bits into the TD42's sent to SA between 1998 and 1999, just before the 3.0 entered SA in 2000.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

The Lexus is a great motor, I have had some of my best jols ever with toys powered by them.

The way I see it, if you are going to bring the car to ZA to have the work done then pop back to Zim. This is a tough one because there will always be a snag list that needs to be sorted. So you'll be bouncing back & forth for a while.

The Lexus did give me issues in water & mud, but nothing a little McGyvering couldn't fix, but yes it is something to think about.

The cost of a proper conversion will be more that staying original, no question about it.

You need to ask yourself what you want.

A V8 is a beautiful thing, it just depends on how much patients you have & how much school fees you are willing to pay.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
Petebenzon
Full Name: Peter Benzon
Nickname: Pete
Home Town: Harare
Current 4x4: Toyota Prado 95
Patrol pick up

Post by Petebenzon »

Thanks for Your Insights guys

I possibly need to give you some more info on what I have got and my plan for it so you can see why i am preferring the v8

I have got a 500000KM+ Patrol Y60 body and Chassis with a very chequered history. The body has been crunched and everything on it is showing its age having been driven by aid organisations and then government all its life. The running gear, axles gearbox etc are in pretty good shape so I want this as a donor Chassis.

I have also got an MQ bakkie where the body is in much better condition but axles and engine taken for another project.
so my idea is to marry the two. so MQ pick up body and tray on the coil spring GQ chassis. I am aware I am going to have to make body mounts to make it fit but the lengths according to my research should be the same but i will have have to put on wheel arch flares because of the wider track of the Y60 Chassis.

So my Idea is to find an engine for this. as you can see there is a huge scope of work to be done so a little more making a v8 work is not going to be a problem

It is a very long and boring story behind the history of the TD42 in The Y60 that I have got. It is not the original TD42 and it seems to be a very old motor in the vehicle very likely a commercial motor because it had an exhaust brake fitted and an injector pump that i havent seen before also its a 24volt motor. so that is some of the reason behind the v8 because at least that is a known quantity

My Father is a patrol nut and he has got the turbo on his Y61 TD42 so I am aware of how well they go. but just some initial costings will put me at about 1000$ for TD27 stuff just on the usual overhaul spares without machining costs. and I have been quoted 2500$ for an AXT turbo kit so In Zimbabwe going down that route very quickly becomes non economic to get me to the point where a lexus v8 is on power. Just some very initial figures would get me a prewired v8 with prado box landed on my doorstep at about 1800$ so I am thinking thats the way to go.

Sorry about not giving you all info on first post but i figured i would keep it simple to try and stick to topic.

Cheers

Return to “09. Engines”