Full Name: Johann van der Spuy
Nickname: Johann 1984
Home Town: Kimberley
Current 4x4: 2013 Nissan Patrol 3.0 Tdi
Home Language: Afrikaans

Flogging the ZD30 horse once more

Post by Johann 1984 »

Hi Guys,

I hope all of you are very well and that 2017 will be a jolly good year.

Guys, my ZD30 2013 GU DI has ticked over to 94000 km. I did a successful trip to the Richtersveld this past Christmas and had a very good time. Jumping off topic a bit, but also did a 5day river rafting trip on the Orange from Vioolsdrift to Aussenkehr in Nam. I can recommend it.

Back to the engine... It is using almost no oil. All seems fine. I am however very much nervous about the 'internals' of the engine. I am referring to pistons specifically. I am playing with the idea of opening up the engine and inspecting the pistons. This would probably indicate if a crack/melt/or hole is starting in piston 4, 3 or any others. I don't know if there are any other ways to inspect or determine the condition of the internal engine? My reasoning is so: It will be cheaper (I suspect) to replace burnt/melted/cracked pistons and rings voluntarily than in the case of a detonation. What do you think? The key here is pro-activeness instead of re-activeness...

What would a typical open-up of the engine cost (at Nissan vs elsewhere) and lastly will this mean that the head-gasket needs replacement once opened up?

My reasoning behind this: We are travelling to remote locations. Not only in SA, NAM and Bots as usual but we are planning a trip to Zambia and Malawi come year end. I cannot afford or pay or even borrow the funds that a detonation will cost in a East-African country. A breakdown there will be a disaster. Think ito getting it back to SA and what that will cost without even a piece of work on the engine yet. I hope this makes sense.

Back to the point. Is this an 'affordable' check-up / inspection? I still have a 50 000 engine rand warranty on the engine till 110 000 km's. If needed, I'd like to use it prior to a crisis.

Any thoughts to be appreciated

Johann
Johann 1984

Re: Flogging the ZD30 horse once more

Post by Johann 1984 »

I forgot to mention,

I saw a very nifty logbook / record-book being kept on the Aussie Patrol forum on the ZD30 engine. Engine defects and detonations are recorded according to:(1) year model and (2) mileage done.

I really think we should consider doing this here as well. It gives good indication of where the issues lie.

Cheers
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by iandvl »

Sorry - perhaps I'm missing something here. But you mentioned that your ZD30 is a 2013 model ?

I was under the impression that the ZD30 hand-grenade only affected models prior to 2004.

As I mentioned, perhaps I'm confused.

Lekker dag. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Ian is correct .. the bad news ZD30 were up to 2003 BUILT [not sold] engine. Thereafter Nissan woke up and sorted the Euro Spec ECU on the ZD ro PATROL engine.
at 94 000 you have 106 000 to go before to worry.
MAIN NB NB NB Thing to do is INSTALL AN EGT READER immediately if you have not done so yet.
Then set the alarm for 680 degree C [but always drive at below 600] and below 500 when cruising.
KEEP THE TURBO AND INJECTORS Clean .. I propagate Caltex Dulo 400 Oil, service every 15,000 but oil change every 10 000 and after every extended dust trip.

That is my take on the ZD 30 [If I could afford a post 2004 ZD30 Patrol it would be in my driveway now. [yes, i had a ZD 30 blow on me BUT the dealer was at fault AND I did not have an EGT reader installed :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :doh: :oldtimer: :oldtimer:
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Unkredible
Full Name: Bruce Williamson
Nickname: Unkredible
Home Town: Rivonia
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 3.0GL converted to TD42i
Home Language: E

Post by Unkredible »

For what its worth I have a late 2005 ZD30 Troll that blew up. I don't think the issues were all sorted out as a result of the ECU upgrade. I had it rebuilt twice under warranty (first time was done so badly that Nissan had to do it from scratch a second time... I then did about 100,000 km with no issues, then it blew up again, this time not due to the usual issue, but due to bolts loosening over time and ending up caught in and snapping the timing chain....
The 3rd rebuild was done extremely expensively and extremely poorly by a well known company who shall remain nameless which resulted in a head gasket blowing. Still can't believe how poorly it was put back together...
It has subsequently been repaired properly through the help of Forum members and seems to be going well now. Have EGT, boost gauge, oil catch can, a bigger intercooler, and am going to do a 3" exhaust, EGR block and Dawes valve...
EGT's seldom get above 500 DegC. I have got to 650 once towing a boat up a hill, but backed off when the alarm went off.
I will continue with small upgrades as cash allows, as it is now not worth selling...
2005 Patrol GL ex 3.0d now TD42
285x75x16 MT
40l S/S Nat Luna Beer Fridge, with Draught tap...
Bigger Intercooler, EGT, Boost Gauge
DC-DC Charger
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

If it is a 2013 model, that is the year in which the Direct injection engines were replaced with the CRD in the SA market. In Australia it was in 2007.
So yours is either the one, or the other! That helps!

Attached is a picture of the CRD engine.
If this what yours look like, you have the right one.

In either event, get a sensor system like madman installed.
The diesel heads on this forum, as confident as thy are about their engines, still likes to monitor numbers for peace of mind.
JoshPatrol.jpg
JoshPatrol.jpg (172.95 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
Last edited by Alex Roux on 23 Jan 2017 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Unkredible wrote:For what its worth I have a late 2005 ZD30 Troll that blew up. I don't think the issues were all sorted out as a result of the ECU upgrade.
Yes, indeed. Mine was 2004 and also banged.
ECU changes helped, but was not the full proof solution.

But 90odd thousand is still young.
Put in the madman now, and avoid any potential further accumulation of damage to the pistons.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Johann 1984

Post by Johann 1984 »

Alex, that's the thing... I've heard of others blowing past 2002/3. It worries me. Mine is a 2013 but still the DI and not the CRD.

I'll pop in a EGT monitor, but one is still not sure if there are any cracked pistons already?
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by iandvl »

I'm not sure if it is necessary to pull the head. Wouldn't an analysis of the engine oil by a reputable firm provide some indication on potential issues ?

Then again, I'm not a mechanic and not an expert... :rolling: :rolling:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Johann 1984

Post by Johann 1984 »

Yes mine is a 2013. But it is still a DI and not the CRD. I have used it on two occassions to move my entire household from PTA to KBY and pulled a double-axled trailer. It must have worked very hard. I understand that the high-compression, high revs occur in such conditions with possible overfueling.

Return to “09. Engines”