Allbilt
Full Name: Allan Venter
Nickname: Allbilt
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5
Home Language: Afrikaans

Y61 4500EFI / Cummins 6BT swop

Post by Allbilt »

I had my mind set on this conversion, but after speaking to Tinus, i'm not so sure, what say you clever okes?? :helpsign:
Picasso
Full Name: HS
Nickname: Picasso
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
T3 Syncro
Home Language: German

Re: Y61 4500EFI / Cummins 6BT swop

Post by Picasso »

Allbilt wrote:I had my mind set on this conversion, but after speaking to Tinus, i'm not so sure, what say you clever okes?? :helpsign:
No... :naughty:

you said that your 4.5 is your daily drive.
I would say that, provided that this is a well serviced vehicle, you should have one of the most reliable vehicles around. not the most powerful or fuel efficient...... but reliable

A conversion can cost easily the the price of a 4.2 TD Vehicle or any other similar vehicle.
And a conversion is not finished when the engine has been swapped. You would need to expect moths and perhaps years of improvements after improvements to sort out all the small little things which might pop up after the initial conversion.
If you think you need more power,... buy a 4,8.... it will be so much cheaper than your planed conversion

What qualifies me to say this ?
I had 2 conversions done (on a different vehicle)
:salute:
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

I think the 6BT engine would be awesome to have in a Patrol......

But..... like Picasso says, it will be loads of money and don't think it will be worth it to do.

Rather buy another Patrol with the right engine in. Engine conversions are complicated and I would personally not do it because of the risks involved.
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Dustin
Full Name: Dustin Roberts
Nickname: Dustin
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: Patrol-less :-(
Home Language: English

Post by Dustin »

I'm just slightly obsessed with the Cummins 6BT motor, so a part of is saying "Hell yes !", but the smart part says "How deep are your pockets ?"

My friend in CT has just finished an engine swop on his single cab Ford F250 to the 6.7L Cummins 24V with a twin turbo conversion.
In my opinion the vehicle is much better off with the swop because the standard 4.2Td motor it came with was hopelessly under powered for such a huge, heavy vehicle.
The reality is it's set him back about R200k !!! :eek: But he does have more money than sense anyway :lol:

It's running a 135mm diameter stainless steel straight exhaust and sounds amazing !
He's still in the process of running it in, so he's not entirely sure of performance figures yet, but the guess is somewhere close to the 800Nm torque range.
The motor and standard gearbox had to be sent to a company in JHB to make up the adapter plate and modify the internals of the gearbox to cope with all the brute force of the Cummins. That cost a pretty penny !
He's now discovered that he needs a 6 speed box, so he has to repeat the whole process.

I still find it pretty stupid that the injector pump does'nt have a solenoid on it so he has to pull a kill lever in the cab if he wants to shut it down :mytwocents:

I've seen Youtube videos of a Patrol with a 6BT motor and I needed a drool bucket while watching, but the reality for us poor South Africans is it's just not viable to do it.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1482489211913.jpg
FB_IMG_1482489211913.jpg (19.03 KiB) Viewed 7644 times
FB_IMG_1482489202168.jpg
FB_IMG_1482489202168.jpg (24.9 KiB) Viewed 7644 times
a.k.a. Datsun Dustin

View my Patrol's story here : http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6478

No hill too steep, no donga too deep !
GO PATROL !!!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Oh droooool droooool and more flippin drooooooooool

But exactly what everyone says...... deep pockets if you want big toys. I wonder if the Patrol g/box and drive train will be able to handle a 6.7L twin turbo..... wait .... let me say it again ( * getting goosebumps * )...... 6.7L twin turbo....... ( ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh nice !! )
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Allbilt
Full Name: Allan Venter
Nickname: Allbilt
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5

Post by Allbilt »

I've been in the conversion business for 27 years and my dad before that, most conversions are done more for passion and pleasure than rands and cents, some of my friends spend 100K or more per year to chase little balls over large lawns, to me it makes less sense, i'll spend mine on my vehicles.
Being a diesel mac by trade, the simplicity, parts availability and reliability of the Cummins is what moved me in this direction. I have done any possible conversion on any Toyota for 27 years, i wanted to do the Cummins swop on a Cruiser, but the Toyota components are not strong enough to handle the torque, so i decided to buy my first non Toyota 4x4 in more than 20 years, the Y61 impressed me and in many ways it is a much better vehicle than a Toyota, not having to chain it to two trees every night being another big plus.
If they could find a way to make it not feel like an old Datsun when i drive it, sound like my old Datsun 120Y when i bang the door and make the parts more available and affordable, i think it could outsell the Toyota, but i think it is the right vehicle for the Cummins nonetheless.
I hear good and bad stuff about the TD42 swop, i'll have to do my maths and decide.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Well....the patrol drivetrain will work...and the gear rasio is correct for td42 or the cummins ...the aussies makes big power with the td42 300kw and 700nm
With the td42 it just fits. ...look even at the 30l bmw diesel :lol:
Dustin
Full Name: Dustin Roberts
Nickname: Dustin
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: Patrol-less :-(

Post by Dustin »

Cool !
At least you can cut down costs by doing it all yourself, that's a huge plus !
You should have mentioned that before I made myself look like a narna :rolleyes: :lol:

Spend money on cars.... AMEN to that brother !!! :rolling:

All I can say is that if you do jam a 6BT under the Patrol's bonnet, I have to see it and take it for a little spin around the block when I'm in CT next PLEASE !!! :pray: :pray: :pray:
My knees go weak when I hear the sound of a 6BT WWW
I love, love, love that motor ! Built for sheer brute strength and it will outlast even roaches after the world ends.

Please keep us updated and I expect lots of pictures :thumbup:
a.k.a. Datsun Dustin

View my Patrol's story here : http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6478

No hill too steep, no donga too deep !
GO PATROL !!!
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

I don't know much about these engines, but 20 minutes on Google has thrown up a few worrying issues:

Maximum operating angle for the oil.system are quite limited, and far less than what might be experienced, especially nose-down angle is only 15 degrees.

This engine is flippen heavy. Half a ton on it's own.

Rated RPM is only 3000rpm, and i understand the governor is set to 2700rpm. That means you will be nearly on the governor at 120km/h.

:mytwocents:
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Allbit, if you have that amount of years behind you with doing conversions I am sure you are going to be just fine.

Peter, interesting facts you have there. Wonder why it is only rated for 15 deg? maybe it needs a bigger sump to accommodate more oil or something like that.
The lower rpm will be a problem.... one usually assumes that it can rev like other diesels, but tend to forget how big the parts will be in those engines.
I also saw that it weighs 500kg, but I did some reading on a fully built TD42 and they say it weighs in at 430kg which isn't much lighter. I have no idea what a TD42 will weigh when fully built, but 430kg sounds quite heavy.

Would love to weigh the one I am currently building.
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff

Return to “09. Engines”