LS2, 1UZ or TD42T engine conversion

Engines and Engine Systems
BertJan
Full Name: AJ Deysel
Nickname: AJ
Home Town: South Africa
Current 4x4: 95 Patrol GQ SWB TD42t (160kw on the rear wheels, thanks Michael) - Play toy
85 Land Cruiser BJ73 SWB - Sunday Drive
14 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Rubicon 3.6 V6 Auto on 37s - Daily Driver
19 Ford Everest Limited 3.2 4x4 Auto - School Bus
Home Language: Afrikaans

LS2, 1UZ or TD42T engine conversion

Post by BertJan »

As some of you may know, I have a SWB GQ Patrol with a standard TD42 engine in it.

I know it is very strong and reliable but, man oh man, I cannot even keep 110 kph on the Highway with it and that kind of power just does not do this Patrol justice offroad, nevermind even thinking of the dunes.

So, I was in the process of researching the option of Turbo'ing this engine, and I found quite a few interesting options that guys over in Aus and Dubai do to the Patrols.

Some go ahead and turbo the TD42 to make it a TD42T, with an intercooler, and this makes it VERY strong and quite fast, but it costs A LOT to get decent speed and power from it, and if you want more power, then it takes away some of the reliability and starts costing lots and lots more.

I found others that rather went the route of either putting in a LS1, LS2 or LS3 engine with GREAT results for power and speed, especially with the LS2 or LS3 and then they also fit a different crank for more low end torque. Although this route does also cost quite a bit in Aus to get done properly, it is sometimes cheaper than a TD42 turbo setup and then it is more reliable because the engine delivers that huge power as standard without being stressed, and also, it actually works out cheaper if I then sell my TD42 engine coming out for some money back.

However, here in SA, the LS2 and LS3 engines does not seem to be as common and available as in Aus, well at least nothing I can find on google. But here in SA, the 1US-Fe Lexus V8 engine is much more common and available and affordable and there are many guys doing the conversion. The problems I see with again, are firstly, it feels like sin putting a Toyota engine in a Nissan. Secondly, these lexus V8s are only 4.0L and not nearly as powerful standard as the 5.7 or 6.0L LS2 engines. Unless they are also supercharged or turbocharged, which again raises some concerns about the reliability again by stressing the lexus engine, and also, then the price again shoots up quite a LOT making the other options viable.

So, as you can see. I have no idea at this point what to do. Unless any of you guys knows of an expert that can source and fit a LS2 engine for me, VERY professionally so as to be reliable and also so that all the electronics and functions on the Patrols works again properly, then I will go that route.

I am not mechanically inclined on engines so would never consider doing this myself. So having a professional do it is my only option.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Fitting a TB48De engine and turbo'ing that is not an option because of cost and the reliability that it takes away from that engine, and also because a turbo'ed TB48 engine is MUCH heavier on juice than all 3 the other options.
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.

Re: LS2, 1UZ or TD42T engine conversion

Post by AndriesS »

It my opinion, any conversion to a non standard engine will have issues. I'll rather up the power on the diesel with a hairdryer.

You always hear great stories of people fitting 1UZ but they are very quiet when they sell it 6 months down the line and very seldom give the truth why.

After fitting, refitting, swearing at the person doing the conversion to LS2 and the added 20k+ engine to get it done you might just find it is more efficient to upgrade the original engine.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Hier is my storie.....julle mag my nie met klippe gooi nie....
As jy n v8 wil insit praat met frans tour de frans hier....beter job ga jy nie kry nie.....maar seker 60 000 k later om dit oordentlik te doen
Lexus wil ek nie eers oor praat nie .....net alex se patrol rol met n lexus maar dit werk nie lekke op meeste karre nie en kos baie geld....
N 4.2 turbo diesel sal seker mooi werk micheal se 180kw en 500nm kom ook met n prys van 45k vir n turbo upgrade as jy nie haastig is nie
Gaan koop maar nissan spares vra my ek het nou net n motor gedoen sonder intercooler met nuwe head sleeves ect staan ons naby aan 61k sonder arbeid :surprised:
My voorstel is koop daai 4.5l petrol motor wat uit die fabriek met carburettor gekom het alles pas presies tot die starter en radiator. ....seker jy kan sy arm draai vir so 22k daar rond maar geen surprises nie exhaust drade alles pas mountings ect ect .....en jy kan jou 4.2 inruil op hom......
4.5 het genoeg low down krag om meeste diesels te laat skaam kry en jy ga lekke reisies jaag op die high way .....
En die bage is reg
Praat met Piet en Mr boegman altwee het 4.5motors in hulle GQ werk mooi
Daar is n 4.8 ook vir 30k maar die moeite om hom aan die loop te kry in n kar wat nie n ecu vir hom gehad het nie nee dis net te rof :mytwocents:
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Askies al die nissan motors staan by dawid volskenk in warmbad :thumbup:
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Klippe gooi en skiet my!

Bertjan,

Just as a start, whatever you do, if you want a satsifying engine performance solution, it will cost you.
Secondly, your decison should depend on what applications are the most important for you, because everything is a compromise.

The 4.2 with turbo is the cheapest of the options (but not cheap), and as stated above, depends on your most desired applications. If dunes is your most important aplication, then it will be difficult to get a satsifacotry result from the diesel. Lots of work to get it to perofrm like Micheal's I think.

Granted, the 4 litre Lexus is not as powerwful as the LS conversions, but it is more sensible/practical - much more economical I think, especially in a lighter Patrol like the SWB.
Tommie Yster gets 4km per litre on a good day, but he is king of the dunes, and that is enough to make him happy (LS2 conversion).

In general, people who have issues with conversions, either did not go to the right mackie for the job, or cut corners financially.
As someone once said, a "spoeg-en-plak" converison is not cheaper, you only end paying in installments.
I am very happy with my conversion, but it cost me once-off a lot. I have done 70,000 since, and no issues yet (save a few minor teething problems initially)

Also consider resale value. If you ever are planning on selling, then converting to a foreign brand engine will count more against you, than just turboing the existing engine.

Frans is not the only master of V8 conversions. The guy who did my conversion converted a number of Patrols to V8, all of them still on the road with no issues.
He also did a 4.8 transplant into a diesel Patrol (that particular car is not on the road anymore, but for unrelated reasons).
So the 4.8 conversion can be done successfully, if you can get your hands on the engine.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
djhep
Full Name: Dave Heppell
Nickname: Dave
Home Town: Hoedspruit
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.2TD bakkie
Series 60 Land cruiser 4.0l V8 Lexus fitted
Home Language: English

Post by djhep »

Hi Bertjan......
I can't advise on what option you should take with regards to increasing the power on your vehicle, but I can say that if you do go for a Lexus V8 1UZ, don't worry about lack of power.

I did this conversion to my series 60 Landcruiser, and it is still considerably faster than my mildly tuned turbocharged 4.2td Patrol bakkie.
The cruiser is heavily laden with steel bumpers, drawer system etc, and is also running 17" wheels to clear the fortuner brake setup I had fitted, and it will still easily out accelerate the Patrol, and cruise at a true 130/140 all day if that is what you want to do.

Having said all of that, these conversions are never straight forward, or as cheap as some say, and there will always be niggles which can be frustrating to iron out.

Hope this helps.

Dave.
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

AJ

Alot of valid points are made here and it is really a big choice to make.

What it boils down to in my opinion is what you are going to use the Patrol for.
Overlanding is probably not the best use for a v8 petrol where being king of the sand dunes is not for the diesels.

Whatever your choice is you will have to commit and do it properly if you want to get a long service out of it.

If I can sugest something, try and test a couple of theae conversions before tou decide, I am sure Alex will not mind if you have a drive in his V8 and you can gladly test my Patrol to feel the differance between these engins.
Rather take a month or 3 longer on your choice than to sit a year later and think you made the wrong one
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Yeah, I agree 100%

I bought mine, purely because there is no electronics so I'm comfortable with travelling anywhere is Africa and going through any water crossing I may need to. I had a problem a few months after I bought my Patrol while in Botswana. I burnt a hole through the no 2 piston ...... but I still drove my Patrol 550km to my home with a blown engine. In short the reason for the motor kicking the bucket, was an injector that had never been replaced in 175 000 km. A new injector tip in the 4.2 diesels is about R450 each, and could have saved me a lot of money.

I have done the dunes in Atlantis with my Patrol.... does it like the dunes .... no not really, but let me climb that big rock at Moegatle, or any rock climb and the diesel laps it up like a bulldog eating porridge. Fuel consumption was a factor, but if that was the main reason I would have gone for a 3.0 diesel Patrol. Last week on a trip to Ponta do Ouro I got 12.7L/100Km, loaded and traveling at around 120Km/h all the way there. Mine too is by no means sluggish for a 3 ton chunk of iron

Try take various motor types out fro a drive. Mine is not as powerful as Michaels, but take his for a for a drive, and then take mine for a drive, and then take Alex's one for a drive. I'm sure there are guys with 4.5's that will happily let you go for a drive with theirs to get a feel.

Thabbies on the forum has a 3.0 shorty that power wise will kick ass from here to the middle of next week. So its all about what you want from that beaut of a shorty of yours.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Michael wrote:I am sure Alex will not mind if you have a drive in his V8 and you can gladly test my Patrol to feel the differance between these engins.
Yes, for AJ to make a fair decision, he should feel both Michael's and Cedric's 4.2s as Michael's one may create GREAT expectations.
And after Moegatle, I better make my way to a dyno! :rolling:
ricster wrote:I bought mine, purely because there is no electronics so I'm comfortable with travelling anywhere in Africa and going through any water crossing I may need to.
Cedric, not to dig out old cows, but while you were camping in Moz, I had to face some stiff arguments in favour of the electronics of the 3.0CRD, as an overlander, that is.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

I hear you Alex... and lets call a spade a shovel..... there really isn't much out there still without electronics, so reliability is really not an issue so to speak, but purely the old school motors can run on almost any old oil/diesel/parafin etc to get out of a sticky situation. Each has its advantages. Would I like a new 3.0 Patrol....oh yes !!.... would I like a 4.8.....oh yes !!.... I just can't afford either one now
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD

Return to “09. Engines”