1997 Cruiser HZJ 75........."JACK"
2008 Merc CL 500............."BULLET"
2006 C 180 K Manual........."SUSSIE"
En Mamma se Kar, 'n Ford
Home Language: afrikaans

My Trollie still not healthy.......it stutters

Post by petri oosthuizen »

Hi Guys.
When I bought the Trol, it had some sort of "hestitation" and it also "smoors" a bit.
Took it to Graham some time back, here is a post I copied from 4x4 Community:

Just spent 30 minutes at Graham from G Tecc in Valhalla.
This Patrol is sorted.
Maybe it's because I'm born with 2 left thumbs......but I always appreciate/envy people like mechanics/plumbers/spray painters - the VERY good ones. They are craftsman and artists. Graham must be one of the very best.
The problem was a chip fitted by a supplier with (in my mind and 22 year experience) the uncanny ability to mess up not only Land Cruiser 1HZ engines, but also, as from today, Nissan 4,5's.
Graham re-adjusted the timing and some throttle?? settings to normal, and also cleaned up the air flow sensor.
I'll just get a bridging piepietjie to cancel that chip POS that caused the hassles, as Graham has done the settings as "normal".
The car goes like a bomb, smooth as hell.......funny how one sometimes has some "pre conceived" idea about a car, thinking that the other make is "better".
Let's just say that I'm starting to convert to the Patrol brand - and that with an old 1998 4500 Patrol.
Graham also pointed out some loose ends on the car, like alternator bolt, etc etc, and sommer fixed that.
Incidentally, this very same car was with him about 7000 km ago, where he attended to the difflock vacuum thing, replaced all oils, etc etc......so, I sommer feel better about everything.
Interesting point - Graham advised me to chuck those ugly mags, and put standard alloys or Nissan steel rims. non-standard mags etc etc tend to break off at the hubs.
And I believe whatever this artist tells me.
Anyone knows of alloys, or even genuine steel rims, please let me know.
Oh yes - Graham's bill was a whopping.........R 350.

Thanks Graham, I hope you read this, or someone in here tells you about this. You are one of VERY VERY few......

OK.............

Here's what I think I should do. I know ZERO about engines, please shout if you think I'm on the wrong path.

1) Clean that MAF thingie.........that's the thing with the 2 teenie weenie draadjies in that Hitachi boxie - right??
2) Check the fuel pump.......??

I've changed plugs, filters, etc etc, so I'm done with that.

OR do I just leave this as is, and get someone to cancel that stupid chip out if in GP again??

Thanks - all inputs appreciated!!!!!!
"Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' corner, and knowing he wants to go home early tonight"..........Max Baer
petri oosthuizen
Full Name: oosthuizen
Nickname: petri
Home Town: bethlehem, eastern fs
Current 4x4: 1998 Patrol 4500 GRX......."OLIVE"
En Mamma se Kar, 'n Ford

Re: My Trollie still not healthy.......it stutters

I think I'm sorted.

1) I took out that MAF sensor piepietjie, sprayed the 2 draadjies with Spanjaard Lektro clean, and also sommer removed all visible plugs and sprayed them clean.
2) Went for a spin, the Troll pulled like HELL, completely different car!!! When returning though, it had a miss in it - worse than before.
3) Sprayed that MAF plug again, and made sure it's secure. Jollie Patrollie pulls like hell again.
4) I also sommer checked that PCV valve. The valve was clean, but the spring was stuck - all is fine now too.

I don't think it's the fuel pump. I drove the hell out of the car just now - amost 5000 RPM, and NO stutter. If it was the pump, it would not have given that "demand" at high RPM's, and would make the engine stutter - am I right?? I'll have it checked anyway.

All in all, I think it must have been a loose/dirty plug/connection somewhere.

Will use it this week and see how it goes - so far, so (VERY!!!) good :woo:
"Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' corner, and knowing he wants to go home early tonight"..........Max Baer
SCUBA Patrol
Full Name: Phillip Jacobs
Nickname: Phillip
Home Town: Cape Town (Stellenbosch)
Current 4x4: Patrol 2006 3l diesel(die eerste Voetspore een)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by SCUBA Patrol »

Petri,
Remove the battery terminals for at least 10 minutes, that should reset the ECU, but if there is a aftermarket chip, better to take it in.
:mytwocents:
Phillip
2006 3l with MADMAN
petri oosthuizen
Full Name: oosthuizen
Nickname: petri
Home Town: bethlehem, eastern fs
Current 4x4: 1998 Patrol 4500 GRX......."OLIVE"
En Mamma se Kar, 'n Ford

Will do, thanks Phillip.

Graham re-set the ECU whatsiscalled back to "Factory" settings last month. But I just think that the chip totterman might now be in some "conflict" with those settings - dunno. I'm REALLY dom with these things.
The timing was out, and I think Graham said something about Throttle Control or something - also "out", obviously when installing that damn chip, to try and get better figures on paper.
Ek HAAT daai goed - veral as daai een "supplier" dit gedoen het. Wens ek kon die ding uitpluk onder die dash en by die venster uitgooi. :confused:

(edited from here) - I think the MAF plug is/was the issue here.....sounds silly I guess, But I really do. :rolleyes:
Picasso
Full Name: HS
Nickname: Picasso
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
T3 Syncro
Home Language: German

Post by Picasso »

Hi Petri,

The way you write and what you do, you actually seam to be fairly knowledgeable about the technical stuff. Most certainly way more than I am. :thumbup:

So... I will not really be able to give you expert advice.

Nevertheless, just some experiences on a similar issue which I made:

I bought my 4.5 about 1.5 years ago. I didn't initially know that the car was chipped.
Only found that one out a while later.

Once I found out, I contacted the company (Van der Linde) which did the chip + conversion ( gas flow / camshaft / exhaust). I had a dynotune done and everything adjusted based on the origination VDL spec.

Result: slight increase in torque and power,(~ 10-15%) slight decrease in fuel consumption (~-10%). Cost me about 1200 Rand. + I got a little "dummy chip" for just in case (should the chip fail) .
No issues with the engine what so ever. :salute:

Return to “09. Engines”