4thelawz
Full Name: Jan de Wet
Nickname: Jan
Home Town: Brisbane
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol GU ST4500
Home Language: Afrikaans

Turbo for 4.5l

Post by 4thelawz »

Not sure if it has been discussed previously, but I am interested in finding out if anyone knows of a turbo conversion done on a 4.5l Patrol. Is it worth it if you compare the cost of the conversion with the value of the older Patrol? What increase in power can I expect? Is it recommended installing a turbo on an older vehicle (150k on the clock)?
Jan (Australia)
2001 Patrol GU ST4500
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Re: Turbo for 4.5l

Post by Peter Connan »

Jan, you will get as many conflicting views here as answers. Here's mine:

If you want to use it as an overlander, taking you and your family into the remote beauty of Africa, then leave it strictly alone. If you really need more power, sell it and buy a 4.8. Cheaper and less trouble in the long run.

If you want to use it as a toy on weekends, a trail-blazer and perhaps a drag queen, then OK, go ahead, but possbily (depending on the exact application) look at a supercharger instead.

I do not know of any ready-made turbo conversions available locally, but lots of these types of conversions are done in Arabia, so it should be possible to get all the relevant info, and there are lots of reasonably clever race-mechanics who will gladly take some money away from you.

As for the supercharger, I know Alpine have done a couple. They are capable of excellent work but do not always produce that. Walter Gygax (Kalaharisafari here and on SA4x4) has such a vehicle, and although his broke rather badly I believe he is still a fan.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

And there I went and forgot that your'e in bl$*dy Brisbane...

OK, forget everything I just said from a Saffer perspective, and revise it with an Auzzie accent.

Mate.
4thelawz

Post by 4thelawz »

Hi Peter, You can get an intercooled turbo kit here, but it is $7000, worth more than my Patrol. Can't justify spending that much. Thought there might be a cheaper or alternative option. I considered the "buy a 4.8" option, but would rather get a diesel if I sell. I like to idea of a supercharger, is it viable?
Jan (Australia)
2001 Patrol GU ST4500
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Sorry about not being particulalrly diplomatic here, but I think you need to decide whether you want economy or power?

I do not think a diesel of specific performance level works out cheaper than a petrol of the same performance level. The diesel may be lighter on fuel, but will most likely make up for it with higher maintenance costs.

Similarly, adding a super-or-turbo charger to an existing vehicle may provide more power, but will use more fuel if that power is utilized. Turbo petrol engines are notoriously thirsty if the extra power is used, and if it's not used, why bother? There may be a slight improvement in consumption if the power is not used, but not enough ever to repay the cost of the modification.

As for turbo vs supercharger, turbo is better at the top end, and super is better at the bottom. Since the big sixes are all about bottom end, I think the supercharger is a better fit for the Patrol, but it does depend on the usage. For rock-crawling and similar, supercharger is definately better, and for sand a turbo is definately better. Everywhere else i guess they are similar although each will have a slight advantage in certain respects.
Bruin Beer
Full Name: Riaan Delport
Nickname: Rooian
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by Bruin Beer »

4thelaws,
See this SA site:
http://www.rgmotorsport.com/index.php/patrol-4-8
Hope this helps.
Bruin Beer
4thelawz

Post by 4thelawz »

Dankie Bruin Beer, dis n impressive Patrol. Om Peter te antwoord, dis nie net die power vs economy nie, daar is ook die praktiese element. As n turbo die petrol ekonomie vererger, sal dit nie die moeite werd wees nie. Dis al klaar erg genoeg soos dit is. Ek dink n diesel met a chip en behoorlike exhaust sal beter krag uitsit as my 4.5l. Die ouens hier claim "35% increase in power" met n chip, exhaust en tune (http://roosystems.com.au/). Om in die outback te toer, word n diesel aanbeveel. Dis nie net die brandstof verbruik wat help met die lang afstande tussen vulstasies nie, party plekke het glad nie petrol nie, net diesel.

Ek is mal oor die 4.5 se krag, het gister n 3.0l diesel getest drive, en die verskil is masief. Die 3.0l is sluggish. Dit sal baie vat om aan gewoont te raak. Die later model 4.8 is nog baie duur tweede hands, omtrent dieselfde prys as a 3.0l diesel, so daar is nie regtig n saving in die koop prys om op te maak vir die petrol verbruik nie.

Anyway, ek is completely in two minds oor wat om te doen, maar dis goed om ander mense se idees te kry. Dit sal help om my mind op te maak.
Jan (Australia)
2001 Patrol GU ST4500
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by Clem »

Bruin Beer wrote:4thelaws,
See this SA site:
http://www.rgmotorsport.com/index.php/patrol-4-8
Hope this helps.
Bruin Beer
Impressive numbers. I wonder what it has done to the fuel consumption…?
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Once upon a time there was a pretty clever gent on this forum (not that there aren't several now) by the name of JG Shields.

He used to say "don't expect an elephant to function on a racehors'e diet"...

I am sure you can get a diesel to outperform a 4.5 or even a 4.8, but as said before, I am pretty sure it will cost the same to operate.

The 3l may be sluggish, but it pulls pretty strongly once it is on song...
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005
Home Language: English

Post by Chris Skinner »

Dont believe the chip claims - they use numbers like that to trick you into buying. If you do ever get a chip, use an independant dyno guy to check it before and after... :oldtimer:

Return to “09. Engines”