Patrolman
Full Name: Jacobus William Best
Nickname: Kosie
Home Town: MTUNZINI, Zululand coast
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Home Language: TWEETALIG

Re: Value of Dyno Tuning

Post by KOOS BEST »

Gerrit Loubser wrote:This works out well for some electronically controlled engines, but not for all. I am not an expert on the ZD30 diesel motor in the Patrol, but I am under the impression that it uses an air mass meter (a rather intricate and somewhat fragile instrument) to measure charge air mass. It stands to reason that overfueling could occur if the air mass meter overestimates the air mass flow. Faulty air mass meters are hazardous to engine health and the ZD30 diesel has been known to have some issues, many of which might have a faulty air mass meter as the root cause.
This is excactly what happens to the ZD 30 , IT STARTS TO OVERFUEL!!!!! UP GOES EGT !!!! AND BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pieter my 1st diesel 4x4 was a Hi Lux 2.4 d N/A, I only owned Diesels since.
I cannot emphasize more what you have said about EGT gauges and controlling it, you will also discover as you mentioned at high ambient temp. how difficult it becomes to stay within the limit.( YOU DONT CONCENTRATE , THAN LOOK AT THE GAUGE AND YOU OPERATING IN DANGER ZONE)This is my reason for saying Diesels dont like hot weather as I mentioned before in some of your previous post.
Gerrit I have read a report on EGT once on Peter Bilt Trucks that they stated above 720 deg C the properties or characteristics of metal starts to alter and change.You mighy know more here.
Pieter's only saving grace must have been good oil.

Mooi Pieter , nice post , maar wanneer kom die intercooler fan?????
Koos Best(Kosie)Mtunzini Zululand
Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Patrol GU 2003 3.0d GRX (SOLD 2010)
Patrol GQ 1996 4.2d ST(SOLD 2007)
KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by KOOS BEST »

Jammer maar verduidelik asb. die regte manier om iemand te kwoteer , maw slegs n gedeelte van die vorgige ou se post.Ek sukkel so n bietjie
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Koos wrote,
Mooi Pieter , nice post , maar wanneer kom die intercooler fan?????
Dankie vir jou terugvoer ook - glo my ek hou en sal aanhou daai monitor dophou - ek is so vrek bang ek het dalk reeds skade het wat ek maar nog net nie van weet nie - soos Gerrit gese het kan gebeur. Maar daar is darem "high alarm settings" op al die NB lesings - so die monitor sal skree ook as iets "overboard" gaan.

Omtrent die intercooler fan - ek het al bietjie navraag gedoen en met n paar "technical en mechanical minded" ouens gepraat. Die algemene gevoel is dat yes op stadige spoed (bv 4x4) sal die fan great wees - maar op die oop pad teen 120km/h is die fan eintlik n restriction onder die "bonnet intake" - dit laat nie die lug so vrylik deur soos as die fan nie daar is nie. Dit is omtrent wat hul se - in n "nutshell"

So I am in two worlds - fan or no fan ?? :think:
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Koos dis maklik - maak as volg:

Gaan na die boodskap wat jy wil quote - gaan staan met jou muis by die teks of gedeelte van teks wat jy wil quote - druk shift of click en hou die muis in en highlight die teks gedeelte wat jy wil he. As jy dit het rightclick dan met die muis op die gekleurde (highlighted) teks - dit gaan n options toolbar oopmaak. Gaan na copy en left click op copy.

Gaan maak dan n post reply oop - click op die quote button op die toolbar bokant teksboks - dit sal dit as volg laat lyk: [quote][/quote]

Gaan kliek dan met jou muis tussen die twee hakies tussen die woorde - right click weer met jou muis en dit sal weer n options toolbar oop maak - gaan af na paste op die toolbar en click - en siedaar jou quote is gedoen. Die teks wat jy in die boodskap gehighlight het sal dan tussen die twee woorde quote quote met die hakies verskyn.

Skryf jou comment en post en siedaar - die ander ou se teks verskyn in die gekleurde box binne in jou posting.

Hoop jy kom reg - dis regtig baie maklik - verskoon die engels en afrikaans so deurmekaar - maar my afrikaanse rekenaar taal gelettertheid is power!!!
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

KOOS BEST wrote:
"Gerrit Loubser" wrote:
"Pieter du Toit" wrote:...faulty air mass meter as the root cause.quote]
Koos, you are basically doing the quoting thing correctly, but, as you will see above where I quote your quote :wink: you actually have two quotes starting and at the end there is a [/ missing in front of the quote]. Don't worry. I will fix it quickly.
Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
Gerrit Loubser

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

KOOS BEST wrote:Gerrit I have read a report on EGT once on Peter Bilt Trucks that they stated above 720 deg C the properties or characteristics of metal starts to alter and change.You mighy know more here.
Koos, I am not a metallurgist, nor very knowledgeable on the topic of alluminium cylinder heads or other engine bits (ek werk maar met staal), but I think the typical melting point for the type of cast alluminium alloys used is between 600 and 800 deg C. It is probably fair to say that a value around 700 deg C should be the absolute maximum.

Many of these engine failures are not of the one-time melt-down variety, but are rather thermal fatigue failures where damage accumulates over time. The number and magnitude of high temperature spikes (and the thermal stress spikes that they cause) do most damage in this scenario and not the time spent at the high temperatures. To minimize thermal fatigue, the magnitude and frequency of these thermal stress spikes must be minimized. It is not enough to say that all will be well if one never exceeds x deg C.
Gerrit Loubser

KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by KOOS BEST »

So I am in two worlds - fan or no fan ??
Pieter , the important points for me here is as follows
1) The main thing here is, having an Intercooler on top of the engine is a bad Japanese design, its mounted on the warm engine and heats it up . Just put your hand on it , compare that to European engines and the intercooler are in front where there is max. air flow and its COOL!This is its primary job to cool the air down through a cool intercooler.
2) If you have a bull bar fitted which is visible from inside of your Troll , you might not even HAVE air flow in font of the scoop, because of deflection.
3) Some guys on Oz site claim theres no air flow up to 90km/h, you never travel above that in off road conditions any way.Test this with a piece of wool and Prestik in front of the scoop.
4) On a USA 4x4 site they claim the scoop must face the windscreen, reason because the Window deflects air forward for the scoop (difficult for me to believe but anyway)
5) You will find better low down torgue , at low refs, try it
6) The fan runs so fast that I am convinced there is much more air flow there at say 140km/h.plus. If I drop a rag in front of my scoop it gets sucked in , its so strong . You can feel the air on your legs when you stand next to vehicle coming out from under the engine.So I personally cannot agree that it will restrict air flow, in reason it can only increase the volume of air especially if it gets more help at high speed travelling.

The PLACEMENT of the intercooler is wrong.!!!!!!!!!!
Apparently the new Mitsubishi engines have a factory fitted fan like mine but under the intercooler, I heard.
Gerrit Loubser

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

Koos, as far as I know the 2.8 Colts (with 4M40 motor) have an electric fan to force airflow through the intercooler, but my DiD Pajero (with 4M41 motor) has the intercooler in front and no fan.
Gerrit Loubser

Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Koos

I must say I tend to agree with what you said - and it make sense as well. Plus you have done it - so the proof is in the pudding as they say - been there done it and got the t-shirt!!! Nobody that I spoke to has actually done it.

I assume you connected the fan in such a way that you switch it on yourself (I vaguely remember reading something to that effect some time ago - not sure if it was you though) - but that would be the obvious option.

And yes you could not be more right about being a stupid Japanese design - it is totally in the wrong place. :thumbdown:

Thanks - I am going to look into this option further as well - after my bad experience with high egt's and bad boost I am willing to go a long way to keep that engine and air as cool as possible!! :oldtimer:

Is it not possible to install / design some kind of refrigaration system on top of the intercooler??? :lol:
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
Gerrit Loubser

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

Didn't the rally Subarus have a system that sprayed water through/on the intercooler fins when max power was required?

Would it be feasible to relocate the intercooler to the front of the vehicle?
Gerrit Loubser

Return to “09. Engines”