Eyetie
Full Name: Max cardona
Nickname: Max
Home Town: Durban
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol, 4.5 GRX , 1999
Home Language: English

4.5 GRX towing

Post by Eyetie »

I recently purchased a 1999 , 4,5 GRX patrol. i have had it serviced and fitted old Man emu shocks. i purchased this for my deep sea boat and will use it tow the Boat to Moz etc. I am finding that the patrol seems a little underpowered ? when towing my Invader Cat and i encounter a small incline the speed drops right down to approx 80 KM per hour ? is there anything you guys suggest i do to get more towing power out of the vehicle ? i am considering e dastek chip?
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: 4.5 GRX towing

Post by Tinus lotz »

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
What size tires are you rrunning?
Is it a auto or manual :think:
Marino4x4
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Marinus Potgieter
Nickname: Marino4x4
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol

Post by Marino4x4 »

Hi Max

First try and change the petrol pump. The 4.5's have a problem with them. I changed mine about 3 weeks back and it made a huge improvement on the power. The car keep on accelerating now. Before the change it had a flat spot where it felt as if it was losing power. You can get a pump at Midas or a similar shop. Get an in-tank pump that can deliver 3-3.5 bar pressure.

Hope this helps
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Max, before you even consider modifying it, make sure it's working properly. Check out the fuel pump as Marino4x4 stated, and get it on a dyno to see what it's delivering.

If it's an auto and has oversize tires, you might be experiencing some problems, best is to tow in a lower gear. If it's a manual, tow in 4th gear anyway.

If it's all in spec and producing the right amount of power, and you're still not happy, sell it and buy a 4.8.

I am personally against modifying vehicles that are to be used to travel in isolated areas because any engine modification is likely to reduce either lifespan or reliability. If you don't go into isolated areas, you can modify all you want. I know of one guy who had a supercharger fitted to his 4.5 through Dennis McBeath (Alpine developments), so the sky's the limit (take note that about three weeks ago he blew his engine in Zambia and it cost him more than R35k to get his vehicle home, never mind what it's going to cost him to get it fixed), but I firmly believe that buying the car you want is cheaper and less of a hassle than turning something else into the car you want, unless you are an ace tuner who can do it all himself, in which case you wouldn't be asking these questions.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

If you tow heavy things with the 4.5 in 5th gear, the 5th gear might break! It is better to just tow it in 4th gear.
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
Eyetie
Full Name: Max cardona
Nickname: Max
Home Town: Durban
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol, 4.5 GRX , 1999

Post by Eyetie »

Hi guys thanks ... I will take it to a Dyno and see from there. Tyres are standard, it drives and pulls perfectly without the boat but man do I battle on any up hill !

I will ALS check out the fuel pump etc. thank u for the advice I will let u know how it goes .

I agree the 4,8 is awesome I used to have one biggest mistake ever selling it !
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX (now in Benji's hands), 2019 Zook Gen 4, 2011 4.8 GRX Patrol Adventure 60
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by Jorrie »

Marino4x4 wrote:Hi Max

First try and change the petrol pump. The 4.5's have a problem with them. I changed mine about 3 weeks back and it made a huge improvement on the power. The car keep on accelerating now. Before the change it had a flat spot where it felt as if it was losing power. You can get a pump at Midas or a similar shop. Get an in-tank pump that can deliver 3-3.5 bar pressure.

Hope this helps
Marinus

Waar het jy die pomp gekry en wat is die spec? Ek het 'n soortgelyke probleem en moet my 4.5 Patrol se petrol pomp vervang.
Last edited by Jorrie on 04 Dec 2012 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
Jorrie
1998 4500 GRX (Benji)
2011 4800 GRX Adventure 60 (Jorrie)
2011 Jimny Sold (Benji)
2 x 2019 Jimnies (1 x Lizzybean69, 1 x Jorrie)
Tunja
Full Name: Ernest Tunnah
Nickname: Tunja
Home Town: Swakopmund
Current 4x4: 97 Patrol TD 4.2 Manual TS
93 Patrol TBE 4.2 Manual Hi-Roof
08 Toyota Raider D/C 4.0 V6 4x4
11 BMW X5 Auto 8 speed -Swambo

Post by Tunja »

Eyetie wrote:Hi guys thanks ... I will take it to a Dyno and see from there. Tyres are standard, it drives and pulls perfectly without the boat but man do I battle on any up hill !

I will ALS check out the fuel pump etc. thank u for the advice I will let u know how it goes .

I agree the 4,8 is awesome I used to have one biggest mistake ever selling it !
Eyetie, I reckon my 4.5 pulls well and when I towed a 2 ton trailer loaded with 1.5Ton bricks over Sir Lowries Pas last week I thought it would be a breeze...not so but once over the pass it would pull like a train with the added weight..... hmmm I have 285/75/16 mudz on so reckon that made a difference - check the fuel pump as suggested.
'97 GQ 60 TD4.2 ST Patrol : Roof rack, Winch, Dual battery system, Tow Bar, 2" suspension.
Marino4x4
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Marinus Potgieter
Nickname: Marino4x4
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol

Post by Marino4x4 »

Hi Jorrie

Ek het die pomp by n winkel hier in Bloem gekry. Was R450 vir die pomp.
1.jpg
1.jpg (82.41 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (92.3 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
Ek kan een vir jou kry en pos as jy te veel sukkel of dalk wil seker maak jy kry een wat werk. Die pomp se dimensies is dieselfde as die oorspronklike, die hegtings pinte is netnie dieselfde vir die elektriese drade nie. Ek moes dit uitboor om n bietjie groter te maak. Dink die een pool is n 4mm gat en die ander is n 6 mm gat. Dit bout dan net vas aan die pomp. Die verskaffer het gesê die pomp is vir Nissan en Toyota, so ek reken dit is vir die 4.5 enjin bedoel. :thumbup:

Groete
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts
Mammoth
Full Name: Johan Botha
Nickname: JB
Home Town: Roodepoort
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5GRX

Post by Mammoth »

Hi Eyetjie

I also have 285/75/16 tyres on my 99 GRX 4.5. I tow a block of flats (Wilk Topaz) and since changing to these tyres, have also experienced the loss in power, especcially on uphills. My vehicle is fitted with a stage 1 SAC conversion and it measures about 118 kw on the dyno with these tyres. Fuel pump was replaced with a BMW pump (maybe thats the problem)

I am seriously considering a stage-2 (redo head and valves). I do not want to go back to standard tyres as the smaller tyres just did not look right on the Troll.

I will be watching this post with huge interest to see what our friends with much more experience as I have , have to say. I have seen what the oil drilling nation can do with a Patrol with a turbo on - but that is totally insane...! :surprised:
JB

(Mammoth)

Return to “09. Engines”