Full Name: Chris van Selm
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Malkerns. Swaziland
Current 4x4: PATROL 4800 GRX 2004
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

PATROL SERVICING 178,000 KM

Post by Dr Chris »

Hi All,
As a semi-retired professional, I am NOT mechanically trained, and on all our trips I have had to rely on the incredible help from others who are, and always will be very valuable friends to have around!
My vehicle is a 2004 Patrol GRX with all the necessary requirements (Engel on a duel system, spots, stainless steel exhaust, etc.) 275 x 16 x 75 Bridgestones in very good health, and for enjoying travelling to the neighbouring countries we have enjoyed until now. I live in Forest Hills outside of Hillcrest in KZN.
I also have a boat (Baronet 21ft) for Kozi, Jozini, and the smaller dams closer to home (Inanda, Albert Falls, Midmar etc.) and we pull an old Wilk caravan (beautiful condition) in between boating and fishing trips. I do about 10,000 km a year only.
I must admit to not really having problems with the Nissan dealers in the past, and been lucky enough to enjoy little in the way of costs to date. (amazing vehicles all round, that just do not break down!). To some extent this has been controlled by own basic servicing (every 10,000 km, and I do not use any oil at all), but I now have to move into a higher grade of understanding of where to go from here? To comprehend this into the future, I really need some valuable guidelines - hence my point of writing to you?
1. What sort of action plan do we have to put into place? How to find suitable independants, and what to look for?
2. Do I need to comprehensively assess the whole drive train, engine, gearbox etc. etc., and where do we start?
3. Who do we trust?
4. What materials/lubricants etc., The Disc brakes were done 18 months ago, but what about auto gearbox oil changes (expensive!!?) diff,
etc.
5. The diagnostics? Who to go to, and how do I know that there is a genuine interest in the vehicle, rather than just personal financial gain?

I would really appreciate your help?

Sincerely, Chris.
Grootseun
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Driko Henningse
Nickname: Grootseun
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: 2001 3.0 TDI Patrol
2006 3.3v6 Kingcab ( 4x2 ) on 33" ( sold )
2012 Navara Kingcab 4x2 2.5 tdi
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: PATROL SERVICING 178,000 KM

Post by Grootseun »

Chris you ask a tough qeustion in my opinion

Ive been in the industry for 17 odd years and luckilly handle all my stuff myself including my diagnostics
The problem ive seen on several occasions as i get asked where to go because i train and supply workshops with diagnostic equipment even down in your area ( actually here at the moment ) is that what works for one person doenst work for another

My advice look for hte guy that does a lot of work for dealership they are normally better equipped and he must have decent spec diagnostics ( i can tell you if it is or not if you tell me what he has ) if he has all of this and you get a good gut feeling in your first meet with the guy id give him a go

If youd like info in shops in your area that has diagnostics capable of handling your car i can assist but wont be able to gaurantee any of their services or work
2001 9.4 Patrol DI GRX
Bigger Intercooler
Oil Catch Can
PC Bash Plates
More Mods to follow
Dr Chris

Post by Dr Chris »

Hi Grootseun,
I am very grateful to you for your valuable reply and thanks for understanding my dilemma! I truly believe that ther are many of us who are faced with the same problems, and the forum is full of such examples! But because it is such a valuable contact medium, it helps to find the right people (like yourself) who love the Patrol and what it stands for.
I would dearly love to contact you personally, and perhaps discuss this with you telephonically - on PM?
Best wishes,
Chris.
Grootseun
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Grootseun »

Chris probably 50% of the forum members have my number so here it is i dont have to hide it - lol
076 403 4438
2001 9.4 Patrol DI GRX
Bigger Intercooler
Oil Catch Can
PC Bash Plates
More Mods to follow
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Chris, while it may at times be a pain in the backside, and initially may require a fairly large outlay in tools, my feeling is that you can't really beat getting a comprehensive manual (preferably Nissan's own workshop manual) and then doing as much as possible yourself.

If you rigorously follow the requirements of the manual WRT replacement (particularly oil and grease service intervals) and checking, and regularly check that all the pipes and bushes are in good condition, coupled with a good dose of common sense, you should get years of trouble-free service out of almost any vehicle.

I agree with what Driko sais, but would also like to point out that you may well find that some workshops/providers are better at certain jobs than others, as everybody over time tends to specialize a bit?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

were in the big sa are you????
Dr Chris

Post by Dr Chris »

Hi Tinus,
In Forest Hills, outside of Hillcrest KZN.
Regards, Chris.
Dr Chris

Post by Dr Chris »

Hi Peter,
Such good advice cannot be discounted, and I would dearly love to follow your train of thought, it makes such good sense.
Like all of us mere mortals who are not mechanically competent, I am stating out slowly now that I have more time and less money to spend!!
Many thanks again, for your interest, and I will follow the chinese proverb.....
Regards, Chris.
Grootseun
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Grootseun »

Chirs did you get my email with the details for the guy i know down there ?
2001 9.4 Patrol DI GRX
Bigger Intercooler
Oil Catch Can
PC Bash Plates
More Mods to follow
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar
Home Language: English

Post by Grant »

Hi Doc,

Maintenance can not be stressed. I have religously followed a mantenance strategy on my 96 Troll to the point that I pre order parts so as to ensure they will be available from Nissan.

Simply engine oil filters and air filter get changed every 5000 km. Fan belts and fuel filter evry 10 k km. In addition tot his I have change over a period of 80 k km, all other oils and brake fluid. I always ahve a set of brake shoes available , and change the radiator hoses top and bottom every 80 k km.

Radiator goes in to be flushed avery 80 k km as well. Wheel bearings and greasing evry 10 k km. I change them every 50 K km.

For engine services my car only goes to SAC Diesel. They only work on the egine and it get a dyno run and setting every 15 k km. Other suppliers then get my Troll, for brakes, radiator etc.

Start a plan by getting an idea of what is required on every service. I keep stock of this as on may occations there is a problem with stock.

to date I have 380 k km on my diesel and still running very well. ( Touch wood)
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy

Return to “09. Engines”