Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Unichip and Freeflow

Post by David »

Arnold

Don't worry it makes 2 of us - I am also averaging 4.3km/l over the past year with mostly town driving and normally in front :rolleyes:

In Cape Town I would recommend PowerFlow for a stainless freeflow exhaust and then Kosie Swanepoel for the chip (they provide you with a jumper should your chip fail in the bundoes)

Powerflow Bellville
RODDY/FERNANDO
Street Address:
Unit 15,Boulevard Pk,Tiener Meyer Dr Bellville
Tel:021 930 7717
Fax:086 503 2649
Email Address:pfbellville@telkomsa.net

Koos Swanepoel Development
Tel: 021 9494566
Office Location: Stikland Bellville
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
arnoldh
Full Name: Arnold Human
Nickname: Arnold
Home Town: Upington
Current 4x4: 2011 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by arnoldh »

Thanks - this will help - I will phone him

Did you have yours chpped and poweflowed
Kalahari THROLLIE
2004 GRX4.8 AT Y61 GU(3)
BFG AT's, Maxe Wrap around stainless Bullbar (I know it is soft, but it looks great)
Hela 1000 (hey! I got it for free) Escape gear
Frontrunner Windcheetah roofrack
Powerflow stainless freeflow
EFS 50mm kit
David
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by David »

Nope - not yet, but it is on my wish list for this year for basically the same reasons :thumbup:
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

G-MAN
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: A.G.HOLMES
Nickname: G-MAN
Home Town: Cape Town, Noordhoek
Current 4x4: PATROL 4.8 GRX 2008, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2007, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2006, Defender 90 2.8i...
Home Language: Engels

Post by G-MAN »

On my trip over new year i averaged 5.7km/l, and i drive like a poephol! :wink:
Only a powerflow system done by Dick at saltriver powerflow. :thumbup:
I work my mileage of my GPS and not speedo. :mytwocents:
Sucks Gas and Hauls Ass!
Saltman
Full Name: Herbie Hellstrom
Nickname: Saltman
Home Town: Durbanville, Western Cape
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery Series 3 TDV6 Auto
Land Rover Discovery Series 1 Tdi.
Land Rover Discovery Series II Td5
Home Language: Afrikaans / English / German

Post by Saltman »

Hi Arnold

I can certainly recommend Rodney Newsham (Roddy) at Powerflow opposite Tygerberg hospital in Parow for a stainless steel free flow exhaust.
I changed mine to a 63 mm ff and he asked whether I wanted a great sound or a silent runner.

I went for something in between - if i hit the gas it has a nice sound, but at steady speed travelling it is quiet.
They achieve the required sound levels by altering the box sizes.

I have yet to decide whether i want to go for the chip ... I am scared I will use the extra power, for which I will then have to pay the price!
I have fitted the snorkel and I can't notice any performance gain, BUT the air filter stays a LOT cleaner and for longer and I have peace of mind when wading!

The manual 4.8 usually has to transport 5 family members and pulls an offroad trailer / caravan and therefore consumption at 130 km/h (GPS) is around 4,8 km/l.
Headwinds and mountain passes will reduce that to closer to 4. Best with the trailer was in the region of 5,3 - 5,6 km/l MAX !!!

So anything close to 6 is not normal in my records ... it did get 6,5 km/l from JHB to CT ( 2 adults, no other fittings etc ), but that was a once off figure!

Hope this helps
Herbie
Saltman:
One foot in Land Rover land and one foot in Patrol land and the sensitive bits are hanging in the salty sea in between!
arnoldh
Full Name: Arnold Human
Nickname: Arnold
Home Town: Upington
Current 4x4: 2011 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by arnoldh »

Thanks Herbie

If I can get 5.0 on the normal run around it is a 25% increase in range and saving in cost. Then for me it is worth it. Anyhting abouve 5.5 - 6.0 on the long tar is acceptable. I do not mind paying once off the road or on the sand.

I stay in Upington therefore distance is my middel name!

I am not ready for the snorkel yet. - Not enough wetlands in the Northen Cape :rolling:
Kalahari THROLLIE
2004 GRX4.8 AT Y61 GU(3)
BFG AT's, Maxe Wrap around stainless Bullbar (I know it is soft, but it looks great)
Hela 1000 (hey! I got it for free) Escape gear
Frontrunner Windcheetah roofrack
Powerflow stainless freeflow
EFS 50mm kit
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

Ja Vir Kosie Swanepoel KSD :thumbup:
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
johanp
Full Name: Johan Pheiffer
Nickname: Johan
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4800 GRX

Post by johanp »

Hi
I had a unichip in my 1997 3.0l Hardbody (with a stage 2 SAC conversion) and in my 4.5 Patrol (standard). It made no difference in power or fuel consumption on either of the vehicles.
I now have a Perfect Power chip and I can pogram it myself. After many attempts I managed only to worsen the fuel consumption and have less power.
I currently run it without the chip.
Regards
Johan
David
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by David »

johanp wrote:...It made no difference in power or fuel consumption on either of the vehicles....
I believe the performance improvement really depends on 2 things:
1. How far from optimum are your existing settings.
2. How good is the guy doing the mapping.

I had a look at the dyno graphs of other 4.8's at Kosie Swanepoel which have been chipped and they all showed a reasonable gain in power and torque after the chip. The fuel consumption obviously depends a lot on your driving style but I believe my Trol runs relatively rich compared to some other Trols (..just looking at average fuel consumption..) which means there might be more space for improvement. The proof of the pudding is obviously in the eating :mytwocents:

Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

hi arnold
i got a uni chip fitted and a new pipe put in on my 4.8grx
peter told you the consumption that i got but the thing is it is all about the way you put your foot on the gas :idea:
with the way your trol is set up its to work in the sahara and also in the snow ,the main thing is with the mapping of the chip mine jumps one map up to 3000 rpm and 2 after that so if i keep the rpm below 3000 witch is +- 125km/h the consumption sits at 6.5l/km with normal highway driving .
i would say that the new exhaust made the biggest difference because the middle box do not allow the air to flow out and tends to block up when the car stands for long times .my trol goes fishing diving ect when i need to play and the only thing that stuffs up my consumption is being in a hurry with a boat or of road trailer behind me .
my exhaust needed attention so it made sense to change it at the time . i got it done at noise boys agent in centurion at a cost of R 1700 I HAVE PROBABLY GOT IT BACK 10 TIMES IN FUEL SAVINGS. the thing is the engine sounds slightly more alive but not noisy at all . i spoke to a few people that said the 4.8 manifold system is good and that they got no difference in power with a branch or with standard manifold .
to sum up the hole exhaust and chip mod with k/n filter system cost me about R3500 witch was money well spend i did tests on the dino before and after and the results speaks for them self . i canned the k/n filter because i needed to clean it to much and not ideal for dusty conditions.
we go to moz a lot and since i fitted the snorkel the consumption in the sand is probably 3.5 l/km (driving in low and working hard) the biggest + point is to get colder air into the motor and not the hot ones from under the bonnet especially when going at 20km/h at 2000rpm
also i think its is better on he highway or the response of the throttle seems better at 100k/m +
my trol is not a submarine and i intend to keep it that way so i tend to keep clear of water deeper than the wheel bearings so the snorkel has got nothing to do with wading deep water
what it comes down to if you make your trol breathe properly it will give your better fuel consumption also try to adjust your tires to 2.8 bar or so it has made a difference on mine

Return to “09. Engines”