Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION
Home Language: Afrikaans

BANG!!! - DEAD!!!!

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Hi fellow forum members,

Tonight I am a man with a BIG LUMP in my throat - My Patrol also "died" this weekend. In fact so many things have gone wrong and broke this weekend I can write a book on it and am actually exhausted!! But that's a long story for another day & time. And just the other day I made a post to Unlce Mac about not trying to drive it "stukkend".......

And I was so impressed lately with my car - everything just seemed to be coming right - and all EGT's and Boost problems was on an end. And I have spent so much money on my car the last 4 - 6 months. Anycase - no use sitting in the corner crying - it is not going to bring my car mysteriously back to life.

I AM IN URGENT NEED OF HELP AND ADVICE - and wish to start by asking for any person/s name/s and contact details at Nissan SA. I am going to try and fight this one out with them - afterall my car, even though a 2002 diesel model - only has 145 179km on the clock now!!! :surprised: She was booked to go for service on the 08th April.......

Funniest - if you can call it funny at all - no warning or nothing - sat morning about 08h30 +- 30km outside Montagu on our way to George - slight little uphill no high egt's / engine temperature or nothing - and right at the top of the uphill just a puff of white smoke and no more power :doh: - and it is most probably only running on three cilinders at the moment. Thanks a million to CROSS COUNTRY Insurance who after phoning them had a roll back vehicle their within 2 hours and recovered my car to Cape Town.

Ok so JG, Uncle Mac and anybody else out their that have tried to "speak" to Nissan SA - where does one start?? :think:

I will be honest - I literally feel like a lost person in the Namib dessert - and don't know which way to go - and I am extremely sad over my car.

Please please :helpsign: :helpsign:

Anyone with any ideas / advice - please let me know - it will be greatly appreciated.

PS: My mind is made up though - if I don't come right with Nissan SA I will be throwing a 4.2 Turbo Diesel in there - I just find the 3.0l TD a bit "pap" with my Conquerer trailor. But I have to go the Nissan SA route first - this is just unacceptable for a vehicle of this calibre.

Greetings
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.

Re: BANG!!! - DEAD!!!!

Post by AndriesS »

Sterkte, rusie met corporates is altyd moeilik
JG Shields
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi

Post by JG Shields »

Pieter, ek is regtig jammer om dit te hoor. Die gevoel wat ek kry toe ek jou post lees is amper dieselfde as die gevoel wat ek daar langs die pad gehad het toe my ZD30 gegroet het. Maar..............soos jy opmerk, dit het my ook nie gehelp om myself te lank jammer te kry nie en "after-all" het ek daar deur gekom.

Ek sal jou aanraai om met oom Mac te gesels, telefonies. Hy het 'n laaaaang paadjie met Nissan SA gestap deur sy moeilikheid. Ek het nie eers 1 minuut met hulle gekarring toe my enjin oppak nie. Ek het nie kans gesien vir al die hospitaal kostes agv 'n hartaanval nie. Ek dink ook jy moet jou geduld "budget" voordat jy met hulle begin gesels. As jy ook 'n "gasket" blaas, dan het die forum ook groot skade.

Ek stem volkome saam oor die 4.2TD. Soos ek al op die forum genoem het, Japan Auto in Boksburg het onlang 'n ingevoerde TB42TDi in voorraad gehad @ R36000. Dis die >2008 bakkie se enjin en is 'n "factory turbo" enjin. My spesmaas is dat hy net so op die ratkas en elektriese harnas behoort te pas (met klein aanpassings). Selfs die intercooler scoop sit op die regte plek. Die enjin mounts gaan dalk moet skuif, maar dis nie 'n issue nie. Ander veranderinge wat gemaak sal moet word is oa: FAN COWLING, EXHAUST, ECU & TCU, AIR FILTER.

Sterkte! Jy weet van al die "spares" wat ek het - vir wat dit werd mag wees.
Patrol fan!
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

Pieter hie is 'n deel van Mac se brief van Nissan SA - met die redes hoekom hulle nie vir Mac wou help nie. Ek dink dit is baie belangrik dat bekend gemaak word. Mac het gevra vir hulp om die engine te vervang en die dame het heeltyd verwys na finansieele bystand!!

FROM NISSAN SA:

We kindly refer to the above subject matter and our telephonic conversations in the same regard.

Thank you for contacting the Nissan South Africa Customer Support Centre as it is always a pleasure to hear form our customers first hand.

Please be kindly informed that we have taken due note of your concerns and it has been placed on our records for reference purpose.

Nissan South Africa, under the Terms and Conditions of our Warranty agreement, undertakes to provide free repair and/or replacement of defective materials or workmanship where an authorised Nissan representative has approved the liability of Nissan. The warranty agreement is also subject to the Service and Maintenance requirements as the vehicle should have the services done as outlined in the Owners Manual. Failing to have the vehicle serviced accordingly may result in the Warranty being declared null and void.

Please be assured that we have carefully and collectively reviewed your request for financial assistance from Nissan South Africa and we are able to respond as follows:-

Your vehicle is currently in excess of 4 years in age and has recorded in excess of 100000 kilometres
The above facts set your vehicle well outside of the Warranty Parameters
Not all services of the vehicle were done on as per the Service Interval Requirements stated in the Nissan Warranty and Information Booklet
It has been confirmed that there is an unauthorized modification / fitment to your vehicle being a Dastek Chip

Based on the above, please be kindly informed that Nissan South Africa is unfortunately not in the position to offer financial assistance pertaining to the necessary repairs on your vehicle. However we hereby recommend that you only use Approved Nissan Dealerships to carry out repairs and / or servicing to your vehicle as our Dealer Network only use genuine Nissan parts and guarantee their workmanship for a period of 12 months and unlimited kilometres

Not withstanding the above please be assured that Nissan South Africa undertakes to support you, our valued customer and our product at all times as we value your esteemed customer.

We trust that you find the above in order.

Kind regards,

Sylvia De Beer
Consultant: Customer Support Centre
E-mail: sylvias@nissan.co.
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Jacobus William Best
Nickname: Kosie
Home Town: MTUNZINI, Zululand coast
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Home Language: TWEETALIG

Post by KOOS BEST »

Pieter , jammer om te hoor. Maar dit was maar jammer om te se on the cards.
Doen die 4.2 TD ding, oor die scoop die 4.2 d s'n sit dead centre terwyl die zd 30 meer aan die linker kant sit.So die bonnets is verskillend.
Destyds toe JG s'n opgepak het , het ek in Dbn baie 4.2 td gesien vanaf R 28 000 boontoe, met alles selfs die altertnators ens ens .

Oor Nissan, in 2 of 3 maande gelede se SA 4X4 tydskrif het n ou geskryf oor sy enjin wat deur Nissan vervang is, probeer daai artikel in die hande kry en die skrywer daarvan.
Andersins as jy hulle kontak , probeer onmiddelik die naam te kry van die persoon verantwoordelik vir Patrols, blykbaar is sekere persone die verteenwoordigers van sekere modelle, ens asook die tegniese bestuurders van Nissan. Demand daai name van die begin af anders gaan hulle jou van bakboord na stuurboord stuur.
Daar was ook n paar name onder die post om Nissan SA aan te vat, iuewers op die site.

Weereens sterkte
Koos Best(Kosie)Mtunzini Zululand
Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Patrol GU 2003 3.0d GRX (SOLD 2010)
Patrol GQ 1996 4.2d ST(SOLD 2007)
KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Jacobus William Best
Nickname: Kosie
Home Town: MTUNZINI, Zululand coast
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Home Language: TWEETALIG

Post by KOOS BEST »

Pieter , ek het nou net aan iets gedink.Nadat ek my vorige post geplals het het ek eers Herrie sinne gesien.
Ek sal Nissan slegs aanvat oor die geskiedenis en latente fout met die enjins tot en met 2003.Onthou hulle stuur jou klagte eers na hul regsafdeling voor hul jou gaan antwoord.Noem slegs dit en dat hul bv. wereld wyd al hierdie pre 2003 enjins vervang of herstel het asook sommiges in SA. Daar is genoeg korrespondensie wereld wyd hieroor, waarin Nissan die probleem aanvaar het.
Dit gaan oor Nissan was en is nog altyd bewus van die probleme (grenades pre 2003) met die ontwerp binne die enjins , soos te min olie kapasiteit , en olie holtes en kanale wat verkeerd was Lees maar die reference doc. hieroor, daar was ook deur Nissan bulletins uitgestuur oor vervangings onderdeel nommers ens oor die probleem, indien so iets soos joune gebeur.
They must come to the party , its their design fault from the beginning with ZD 30.
Koos Best(Kosie)Mtunzini Zululand
Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Patrol GU 2003 3.0d GRX (SOLD 2010)
Patrol GQ 1996 4.2d ST(SOLD 2007)
Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

Ai Pieter. Ek is so jammer om van jou skade te hoor. Ek dink aan jou.
Pieter du Toit wrote:Funniest - if you can call it funny at all - no warning or nothing - sat morning about 08h30 +- 30km outside Montagu on our way to George - slight little uphill no high egt's / engine temperature or nothing - and right at the top of the uphill just a puff of white smoke and no more power :doh: - and it is most probably only running on three cilinders at the moment.
I am convinced that these engine failures are the result of thermal fatigue failures. Fatigue is like a silent killer working away inside the motor accumulating damage slowly over time with every thermal cycle until one day the damage is sufficient to cause something to let go. It is not a sudden death type failure. Because of the highly non-linear nature of metal fatigue, running the motor in a state of tune that leads to elevated peak EGTs (i.e. overfueling) for even a short while can add to the damage disproportionately and that damage can not be undone by rectifying the problem and running with lower peak EGTs.

Pieter du Toit wrote:PS: My mind is made up though - if I don't come right with Nissan SA I will be throwing a 4.2 Turbo Diesel in there - I just find the 3.0l TD a bit "pap" with my Conquerer trailor.
The highest state of tune that the TD42Ti was built in as standard was 114kW @ 3600 rpm and 360 Nm @ 2000 rpm, which is not really that different from the ZD30DDTi's 118kW @ 3600 rpm and 354 Nm @ 2000 rpm, so you might be disappointed (especially if you get one in the same state of tune as the Patrol bakkie's). The big difference would be that the larger TD42 would have much less turbo lag, I would think.
Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Post by Jules »

Hallo Pieter

Jammer om te hoor van jou skade, hoop jy kom reg by Nissan. Miskien moet mens Nissan Japan nader want hierdie plaaslike boewe gaan jou dalk n hartaanval gee

Jules
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
Hermi
Full Name: Hermi Lategan
Nickname: Hermi
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: patrol 1998

Post by Hermi »

Hello Pieter
Dit is nou nie lekker lees stof op n Dinsdag more nie .

Alle sterkte

Hermie
Patrol4.8
Full Name: Cornelius Kotze
Nickname: Cor
Home Town: Wellington (Western Cape)
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8

Post by Patrol4.8 »

Ai Pieter dis nie lekker om te hoor nie, sterkte met die besluite!
Ek hoop jy kry 'n 4.2 vir 'n goeie prys.
Cornelius Kotzé
'03 Patrol GRX 4.8 AT
OME 2" lift
33" BFG A/T

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”