Page 2 of 3

Re: The Story of My TD42 Build

Posted: 01 Aug 2018 19:38
by Tinus lotz
Blaas hom makker mooi man

Re: The Story of My TD42 Build

Posted: 02 Aug 2018 21:25
by Marino4x4
IanT wrote:
01 Aug 2018 12:15
Yes but the itch is only half scatched! you are going to want to put a hairdryer on that motor :rolling:
Jip, that is part of the plans. :biggrin:
Rudolph wrote:
01 Aug 2018 14:39
Mooi Marinus! Geniet hom. Ek sien 'n Terrain Tamer promosie Patrol op die horison verskyn! :woo:
Ja, gaan bietjie van die parte instaleer en hier wys. Watch this space. :wink:

Re: The Story of My TD42 Build

Posted: 07 Aug 2018 21:28
by Marino4x4
Over the weekend I serviced the vehicle. The fan belts was in a desperate shape. I had to change the tensioner bolt on the power steering pump side due to it being damaged. I used a bolt that I got from the local hardware store.
20180804_084611_resized.jpg
20180804_091439_resized.jpg
20180804_091450_resized.jpg
I used one of the Terrain Tamer kits to service the vehicle. In the kit all the filters are provided as well as a diesel conditioner to clean the system and the copper washer for the sump plug.
20180804_123118_resized.jpg
The air filter is colored to assist with judging how dirty it is. The red color is ideal for this. Here are the old filter and the new filter.
20180804_123243_resized.jpg
The next step will be to change the panhard rod bushes and suspension bushes.

Re: The Story of My TD42 Build

Posted: 14 Aug 2018 08:53
by EFH
Awesome, ek moet ook die panhards en suspension doen. O - check dalk net you battery tray siende dat joune ook van die kus af kom, myne het heeltemal weg geroes het ek nou die dag agter gekom.

Re: The Story of My TD42 Build

Posted: 16 Aug 2018 08:06
by Marino4x4
Over the past weekend I did some cosmetic stuff on the Patrol.

First the rubbers on the door switches was in a bad state, so I ordered some with parts I had to order a client. The door trimming was also double sided taped to the door and was coming loos as can be seen in a previous picture. When I removed these I realized that the clips are broken and that I had to make another plan. These trimmings are R2500 new a side, so that was not an option. At the end I decided to use rivnuts or rivet nuts to fix the trimmings to the door. I also used button head bolts for aesthetics. A rivnut tool is crazy expensive, thus I made my own using a bolt, flat bar and a nut.
20180809_091433_resized.jpg
20180809_093202_resized.jpg
20180809_093944_resized.jpg
20180811_102117_resized.jpg
20180811_113910_resized.jpg
20180811_124335_resized.jpg

Re: The Story of My TD42 Build

Posted: 16 Aug 2018 08:18
by ricster
A man with a plan..... I like it bud !!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Out of curiosity... how much are the rubbers ( not Durex) for the door switches. I think mine are looking a little tired too.

Maybe there will be a good few guys looking to replace, and a nice bulk pack can be ordered.

Re: The Story of My TD42 Build

Posted: 16 Aug 2018 11:40
by Marino4x4
ricster wrote:
16 Aug 2018 08:18
Out of curiosity... how much are the rubbers ( not Durex) for the door switches. I think mine are looking a little tired too.

Maybe there will be a good few guys looking to replace, and a nice bulk pack can be ordered.
Hi I can get these at R75 one if we order 40 or more of the parts. Your vehicle use 5, 4 doors and back door. (GU TD42) The TB45 driver door is different and is a special unit, this 4 plus 1 special. You can indicate for what vehicle and I can put and order together. GQ and TB48 will also differ. Maybe start a different thread.

:thumbup:

Re: The Story of My TD42 Build

Posted: 16 Aug 2018 12:04
by ricster
I'll have a look at the others on my Patrol, as I think I've only noticed the drivers side door one. So it works out to R375 for a full set of rubbers? Hmmm quite pricey for a 5 pack of rubbers now days ....hahahaha

Re: The Story of My TD42 Build

Posted: 10 Sep 2018 21:05
by Marino4x4
The next step on my patrol rebuild was to make a spacer in order to fit the spare wheel on the back. With the 285/75 16 tires the standard mound does not work.
20180817_171714_resized.jpg
20180817_174456_resized.jpg
20180817_174716_resized.jpg
20180817_174728_resized.jpg

Re: The Story of My TD42 Build

Posted: 10 Sep 2018 21:13
by Marino4x4
I also replaced the wheel studs on the rear wheels. The front will be changed on the coming weekend. Some of the thread on the studs was stripped.
20180908_091538_resized.jpg
20180908_093616_resized.jpg
After taking everything of I realized that there is an oil leak on the seal. This will need replacement as soon as I have time to strip the back.
20180908_093623_resized.jpg
Installing the studs you need a nut and a spacer. I also put some copper grease on the thread to ensure that the new thread does not get damaged.
20180908_094611_resized.jpg
The final product
20180908_100247_resized.jpg