Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: 4500GRX: Nou het ek twee Patrols...

Post by Peter Connan »

Anti sway bars het bitter min effek op wanneer die kar gaan rol, odat die gewig so laag sit.

Dit het ' n effek op body roll, maar net 2 of 3 grade op rollover angle gemeet van die grond af.

Dis nku sonder dakrak. Met dakrak is dit 'n ander saak.

Verderent, as jy regtig bekommerd is oor rol, is die laaste ding wat jy moet doen om die voorste een uit te haal en die agterste een te los.
Die funksie van die goed is om in 'n draai gewig van die binneste wiel na die buitenste wiel te skuif. Dit lei tot 'n vermindering van traksie op die binneste wiel, en die buitenste wiel tel nie al daardie traksie op nie, omdat sy sywand reeds kromgedruk is.

Dus, om 'n anti-sway bar af te haal verminder gewoonlik traksie op daai as. In terme van rol-veiligheid wil jy die kar so reguit moontlik hou, dus wil jy stuur-traagheid bevorder.

Onthou nou, dit is nou net in terme van rol, nie die hele padveiligheid-prentjie nie.

Ek sal vandag 'n paar tekeninge maak en dit later in 'n nuwe draad pos om die funksie van die goed beter te verduidelik.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
petrol
Full Name: Martin Koorts
Nickname: Martin
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: 2000 Patrol 4.5 GRX

Post by petrol »

Peter, ek verstaan nie hoe al die goed werk nie maar wat ek wel weet is dat my onderbroek skoon bly as ek so n bietjie vinnig om n draai gaan met my agterste swaybar gekonnekteer.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Personally i'm of the opinion, that on a Patrol Wagon, i would leave the rear sway bar in (obviously using extended sway bar links as the standard ones cannot be used with effect on a lifted rear),.. and i would take the front sway bar off completely.

The reason i advocate this has nothing to do with body roll arguments or safety arguments, but rather, it will effectively force the front end to work harder and flex more. Something the patrols are quite poor at.

With the rear having such great flex as it is, the front of the patrols needs all the help it can get in order to tune a more balanced travel between front and rear. And i believe removing the rear sway bar doesnt do any favours for front end flex.

This is purely my opinion.

On the pickup, the front sway bar is thinner than on most of the wagon models (although i have seen a few TB48's with the same OD measurement on the front sway bar. This sway bar is pretty useless to the Pickup,which has such a high roll stiffness already due to rear leaf packs keeping it in check. I removed mine and refitted mine twice in order to see if it made a difference to how it felt on the road, and i felt absolutely nothing, so i removed mine completely. It did however give me more flex in front of course.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Russ I feel the same in this matter as you and I think it really depends on what you want to do with your vehicle.

If you really want to drive allot of trails and are planning to make the best of your suspension then sure disconnect them.
It does not sound like Fanus is going to use it for offroading so i would keep it connected if I was him as the Patrol would be a better drive
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Russ Kellermann wrote:Personally i'm of the opinion, that on a Patrol Wagon, i would leave the rear sway bar in (obviously using extended sway bar links as the standard ones cannot be used with effect on a lifted rear),.. and i would take the front sway bar off completely.

The reason i advocate this has nothing to do with body roll arguments or safety arguments, but rather, it will effectively force the front end to work harder and flex more. Something the patrols are quite poor at.

With the rear having such great flex as it is, the front of the patrols needs all the help it can get in order to tune a more balanced travel between front and rear. And i believe removing the rear sway bar doesnt do any favours for front end flex.
I don't know whether you know this, but our official SA GQ's came without front anti-sway bars.
I found a big improvement in off-road ride comfort from removing my rear sway bar. With only the rear sway bar, crossing and angled ditch or hump would result in the body rolling only when the rear axle crossed the obstacle, now it is far more balanced.

I have started a thread in the suspension section showing the results of my doodling. They are surprising, to me at least.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

Hi Guys ..Patrollers
My question is how many guys with normal stock standard ride heights have broken their anti-roll bar links compare to people that has had 2or 3"lift kits fitted ??
surely when these vehicles are designed there must be limits to which the manufactures are allowed to go to and hence the length and thicknesses and breaking strength of parts
I don't think anybody with a stock patrol has ever broken a suspension components

Unfortunately for us Patrol drivers there is n't any off the shelve products from the agents we can buy to improve performance or suspension lift etc...and still have a warranty on a vehicle :think: :think:
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Peter Connan wrote:
Russ Kellermann wrote:Personally i'm of the opinion, that on a Patrol Wagon, i would leave the rear sway bar in (obviously using extended sway bar links as the standard ones cannot be used with effect on a lifted rear),.. and i would take the front sway bar off completely.

I don't know whether you know this, but our official SA GQ's came without front anti-sway bars.
I found a big improvement in off-road ride comfort from removing my rear sway bar. With only the rear sway bar, crossing and angled ditch or hump would result in the body rolling only when the rear axle crossed the obstacle, now it is far more balanced.

I have started a thread in the suspension section showing the results of my doodling. They are surprising, to me at least.
Pete i understand what you mean,..makes sense to me, mine being a little more extreme in that my rear leafs act as HEAVY duty sway bars, so i too get the body roll once either of my rear tyres make contact with a bump or ditch at cross angles... This is obviously improved upon with lots and lots of weight in the rear.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: 4.2 GQ (TB42)
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

JoshJ wrote: Jy kan ook die voor bumpers ruil. Die bosbreker opi bakkie sit en die oe bumper net laat paint en opi GU sit. N std patrol is reg vir 90% van ry. Vakansie. Overland ext.. :mytwocents:
Ja ek begin dink dat dit miskien n goeie opsie is, maar sal eers die bakkie se suspension moet opknap om die ekstra gewig te kan vat.
(Ek het die grx se oem bumpers... :thumbup: )
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 SGL
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

...sal ne eers my vrou moet oortuig. Sy hou van die bos bumper. Dit gee haar mag.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

Waar sit die 4.5 se petrol filter? :think:
Ek het in die boekie gekyk, maar kan niks sien nie...En die pcv valve?

Want die patrol trek nie lekker nie, voel of hy bietjie sluk/mis. Wil solank kyk as ek die petrol filter bloei en pcv valve skoon maak of dit verkil gaan maak... totdat hy vir diens gaan volgende maand.
Is daar enigiets anders wat ek solank self kan check?

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”