Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D
Home Language: English

Re: Help me with a mods list and info - GQ

Post by graham1 »

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the input!

I had no idea about these rims and their issues! Looks like this is going to have to be the first thing I do then. Damn!

Interesting to see that suspension isn't on the top of all of your lists given, I automatically assumed that must be number one, and even more interestingly is how high a snorkel is on your lists. A snorkel would have been last on my list of mods seeing as a petrol motor doesn't like water much anyway, so I steer well clear of all water.

Its only me and my wife, so packing space isn't a big concern, I will definitely be building my own packing system in the back at some point though.

Still in two minds about a roof rack - I really liked having it on my old landy, but Im quite conscious of fuel costs these days though, so a little nervous of adding a roof rack.
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

Suspension needs a look at only after you start adding on the heavy stuff, otherwise it works perfectly as is.....

If you are only two people then one can take out all the seats in the vehicle and have more than enough packing space, so if rooftop tent is not a priority then this could be the way to go. Even possible to then sleep inside the vehicle if required............

As for additional fuel when over landing, not a good idea to put in the vehicle so one has to look at long range tank or extra swing arm at the back if you don't want it on the roof.
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
graham1
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D
Home Language: English

Post by graham1 »

Yip, my thinking is to build the packing system in the back to accommodate a bed inside as well, although, now that I think of it, a roof rack would probably make things easier then, to have some bulky stuff on the roof instead of trying to squeeze everything and a bed inside.

It has a long range tank already, so that's sorted, but, on the carrying extra fuel idea, Has anyone fitted those jerry can holders that are made for the sides of Defenders? I'm sure things can be modified to make them fit a patrol. I found those so useful on my landy.
SCUBA Patrol
Full Name: Phillip Jacobs
Nickname: Phillip
Home Town: Cape Town (Stellenbosch)
Current 4x4: Patrol 2006 3l diesel(die eerste Voetspore een)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by SCUBA Patrol »

What you need in my opinion are:

new rims,
upgraded springs and shocks (ome, ironman etc.) no need for a lift, (only because the GQ is used and suspension is a consumable on a real 4x4 READ PATROL),
drawer/loading system,
duel battery system,
roof rack for all the bulky stuff and jerry cans,
and your set for an epic trip!

The rest is nice to have. The Patrols are competent as they come from the factory not much additional needed really!
Phillip
2006 3l with MADMAN
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

On my Safari duel battery sistem it only got a relay that can only connect to the second battery when the ignition is on and the switch to the second battery is also on. This is already use for more than 25 years and it is very good. :blonde:

As soon as you switch off the ignition the two batteries are split. :thumbup:

If the second battery is not connected I just make sure that the switch is selected off that there is no power going to where the second battery must be from the relay. :thumbup:
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Graham

The snorkel's only purpose isn’t just for water crossings but has other benefits as well.

Your engine nog gets air higher off the ground and this means less dust which means your air filter will last a bit longer.
Another one is that your engine inhales cooler air which in return will give you a very little bit of extra power.
Best one of all is the look...... makes your patrol look really cool!

Last months issue of Driveout covers this topic quite well.
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Michael wrote:Last months issue of Driveout covers this topic quite well.
I do feel they missed one important point. In my opinion a snorkel is a cheap insurance policy. It doesn't allow you to drive through deeper water than otherwise. But if you do get it wrong, you get wet electrics instead of bent conrods and possibly a broken block. I hate crocodiles...

If you are going to steer clear of water, it's less of an issue, although it does reduce the amount of dust your filter gets assuming you are not driving in convoy.

If you do not have a fridge, you do not need a dual battery, but if you do, then get one.

The advantage with the Defender is that it has an aluminium body. A Patrol has steel bodywork, so if you drill holes make sure you seal them well and treat the bodywork to prevent rust getting in under your paint.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
James
Full Name: James Craythorne
Nickname: James
Home Town: Cape Town North
Current 4x4: 1999 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GSX
2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GX
Home Language: english

Post by James »

Hi,

My cents worth!

Netti and I often go on our own trips with the Patrol.

Take out the extra seats (jump seats) we have a drawer system in.

The back passenger seats make space for the two fridges, one freezer the other fridge.

What you want to kook tonight sake out of the freezer and pack it in the fridge.

We don't have duel batteries in the vehicle (yet)

We camp with a '3second' tent but upgrading to OZ3TENT.and roll up matrasses.

For fuel, I have a 145 lt long range tank, should you want to cross the Sahara or Luderitz trip rather add 'EXTRA LONG RANGE TANKS'
carrying fuel not a good plan. We found the brackets break off with excessive shaking and just dumped them, unless they are strapped additionally on to the roof rack if you want one.

Done plenty Africa and long trips so we use the" K.I.S.S." principal. KEEP IT SIMPLE (STUPID).

James

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”