Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Re: My Patrol Pickup thread...

Post by SJC »

Peter Connan wrote:While Russ waits for daylight to take pictures:

On the inside of each swivel hub, there is a circle of bolts holding the swivel hub wiper seals in place. One on each is a longer bolt with a rounded head and a jam nut. This is what you need to adjust. Unscrew a turn, hold with spanner while locking the nut, and try again.
Found them, well one of them. The one side's nut assembly is m.i.a.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (739.56 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Post by Russ Kellermann »

hahaha. Ja,.. i have heard of many that fall out over time. Take the one you have to a Fastener Shop (nut and bolt) , and get them to match you one, if they cheap by two and then you have two new ones. easy. Set it up how you like it and maybe put a tiny spot of locktight on them.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

Russ Kellermann wrote:Is there not perhaps someone in Sabie that can knock up a cheap cattle rails for your patrol, and then you just get a canvas slip cover with a rear zipper, for when it rains. Cheap, looks good, and is practical,.... or do you NEED a rollbar for any reason?

The Patrol Roll Bar is very heavy, and just gets in the way, ... believe me , i know, ... i've got one. The massive tubing they used, and 3 rib, is definitely strong, thats for sure,.. my entire aluminium canopy and roof rack, will all my attachments, weighs less that this rollbar.
Not in sabie, but the best quote I got so far on a cattle rail is R5300.
So financially it make more sense to just get a rollbar, but you right I do not need it.
I like the look of it and there is some use for it as the kids can hold on to it when standing on the back and I like the bakkie to be open at the back, so you can easy throw stuff on the back and get to it when need be.
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

Grant wrote: Fore safety sake also have the injectors checked at a reputable diesel engineering shop. At the same time change the glow plugs as winter is approaching.
I got a quote from Nissan on glow plugs: R268.13 (excl.vat) each. Does this price sound right?
Or is it safe to get glowplugs from midas/autozone?
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Thats a joke dude.

Just get from Midas, ..... no worries. Had my Midas ones in for over 4 years, still working 100%
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

Changing the glowplugs is more of a precaution, but how do you know if the glowplugs are not 100% anymore, is there a way to test them?

My vehicle usually start on the first or second turn of the key, with a bit of white smoke when starting up. which disappears after a second or two.
Suppose the battery can also have an effect on this?
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Alex Roux »

Whe I still had a 3litre TD, I realised my glo-plugs needed replacement when starting the engine cold.
It would not fire on all cylnders. Only as the engine warmed up, would it do so.

Midas was a third of the rpice of the Nissan dealership, but the price you quoted from Nissan does not sound as much as what I could recall.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

In the cold of winter, if the motor doesn't start first time after 4 or 5 seconds of leaving the ignition on "ON" ( for them to start glowing ), then replace the glow plugs. If the motor also runs rough for a few seconds ( very rough ) then it sounds like 2 or 3 of the plugs are not working. You won't really pick up if just 1 is out.

On mine I had 2 glow plugs left that were working, not very well, but they did glow slightly ( just the tip got red when I tested them ), and I still could get the car started after 3 or 4 attempts. it would run very rough for about 7 - 10 seconds and if driven straight away would puff out a fair bit of white ( unburnt diesel ) smoke. I use NGK glow plugs from a spares shop which is probably the same as Nissan uses.

From the sounds of things, if it is running well, its not necessary to change them now, but the injectors, I would definitely send them in for a service. It cost me R425 each to recon about a year ago and that is great piece of mind !!! And its easy to do and send them in to Bosch to be sorted.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Ricster,.. did Bosch replace the tips for you? ,... or did you get the tips from nissan and hand over to Bosch ?

As for the Glow Plugs,.. it should NOT take 2-3 turns to start this motor. It should start each time, everytime, first time. Replace your glow plugs. Also, yes, battery most certainly makes a difference.

2 years ago i replaced my battery with the best Raylite battery i could get,... it made a great difference to turnover speed and ignition once the key is turned.almost instant. Obviously, always waiting for glow timer to go off.

My suspicion is that if your glow plugs and batter are good, your white smoke on start up will be a thing of the past. Unless its leaking through valve stem seals after shut down/cool off. ? Experts on this forum may know better than i on this point.

If my Patrol doesnt start first time for some reason, i might get a tiny puff of Black/Charoal coloured smoke as it starts next,hardly visible at all.instantly disappearing,once its running.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Tinus lotz »

I met a guy in moz that was worried his glow plugs wasn't working ....when i had a look..... (not that i know anthing ) i felt the screws were lose on the busbar that connects them all of a sudden it started on the first cranck .....just have a look might be what we call a hot connection :salute:

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”