Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Chuck Norris is in ICU

Post by Peter Connan »

Alex, ek dink met karre wat redelik gereeld gebruik word, gaan hierdie water nooit genoeg opbou om 'n probleem te word nie.

Ek weet egter dat dit die rede is hoekom sagtestaal petroltenks onpopuler geword het: omdat hulle roes van binne af as die kar langerig staan.

Met 'n petrol-enjin is dit maklik genoeg om net elke nou en dan jou tenks leeg te ry, maar met Diesels het dit natuurlik ander probleme.

Natuurlik, omdat die tenk se uitlaat onder in die tenk is, gaan die water gewoonlik eerste "gebruik" word, en as dit min is, sal dit deur die "water trap" gevang word.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

Peter, ek ry elke Donderdag werk toe & terug met Chuck (so 80km heen & weer), en ry ook meesal oor naweke net met hom rond. 'n Tenk hou my gewoonlik net meer as 'n maand. Gewoonlik ry ek totdat hy so 5-10 liter brandstof oorhet voordat ek opvul.

Hy slaap onder 'n afdak weg van son & reen, en ek verpes watergate & modder.

Op een of ander manier het daar nogtans 'n klomp water in die tenk beland, en meeste daarvan het net minute nadat ek opgevul het by 'n "waterlose" vulstasie deur sy enjin gegaan :think:
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by ChristoSlang »

Ek het vergeet dat ek die laaste drie maande (tot net voor nuwejaar) uitsluitlik met Chuck gery het terwyl ek die turbos in die platkar ingebou het.

'n Tenk diesel elke week of twee...
Christo (the snake man)
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Dan's my idees op...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Christo, looking at those pictures again Im not convinced that water is the culprid for the damage.

In the event that water vapour enters the conbustion chamber it will actually cool the combustion cahamber. Water injection in diesels have been around for a couple of years now and they are even mixing up to 12 - 15% water into diesel. This makes a cleaner burning fuel with lower nitrogen oxide and carbon dioxide.
If very large quantities of water enteres the combustion chamber and the engine hydraulic locks, it wil bend a conrod..... not crack a piston.

I will bet money on it that your engine damage comes from overheating and has nothing to do with the water found in your filter.
Only extreme heat can expand a piston so much that it seezed and cracks

:mytwocents:
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

First of all iam no mecanical expert but what i can see on your photo's you have had a problem for some time there..... :think:
That slevees and piston side damage has been there for a while the extra water might have made it worse in a small time but it looks to me like there is a overheating problem some where that started the wear ......mabe look if your thermostat is doing the cutoff correctly .....mabe frans can give his expert advice? ??
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Ok nou net jou pistons geloer by graham daai kraake gaan tot by die small end so die goed moes distort het.....sal graag wil weet hoe reguit jou conrods is maar die manne gaan dit mos check .....die res van daai motor het eintlik nie gewerk nie ....dis jammer dat hy so moes breek.... :thumbdown:
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar
Home Language: English

Post by Grant »

Christ,

Sad news about your troll. Not sure why everybody says you must have had damage before your incident. If you had damaged the sleeves and pistons , your troll would have smoked badly, and you would have had a major drop in power.

Graham was working on my Dad,s car and I had a look at the damage. Graham explained the amount of water that he found in the filter and that would have resulted in the damage your troll experienced.

Always a problem with our old tech engines and a very difficult thing to prevent. Seems as If your troll got a big douse of water. Not sure if that could have been a build up over time. Mine also stands for long periods and I have never had an issue. Option is to install a larger water trap, that can prevent this.

Best of luck and keep us informed, Cedric and I miss our diesel partner.
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

hell yeah.... Old school rules...haha

I've also never tapped off the underside of the diesel filter at the tap.... maybe a good thing to do every now and again !!!

The biggest problem is to say without any hesitation that "That" is or was the cause of the problem.

It wasn't injector problems or overheating from my point of view looking at the sleeves.... :think: :think: Could it not be that the crank thrust bearing ( little horseshoe shaped white metal bearings ) wore out and caused the pistons to not run true in the sleeves, because from what I see on the sleeves, and pistons there is scouring on one side.... and on the same side. The rings collapsed, sump pressure pushing oil into places it shouldn't be and ...... I can't talk about it..... It hurts too much. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by ChristoSlang »

Grant wrote:Best of luck and keep us informed, Cedric and I miss our diesel partner.
Thx buds - we'll get Chuck his new heart soon :thumbup: !
ricster wrote:The biggest problem is to say without any hesitation that "That" is or was the cause of the problem.
Yep, i'm not qualified to do post-mortems either, so I'm repeating Graham's opinion that there was no visible heat damage. As far as I'm concerned the important thing at this stage is to get it fixed properly!
ricster wrote:... from what I see on the sleeves, and pistons there is scouring on one side....
The gouging was on all sides of the cracked pistons, even though I could only photograph one side at a time! My guess is that you can't expect a piston that's split down the middle to retain its shape whilst being yanked up & down 50 times a second? :think:
Christo (the snake man)

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”