Patrolman
Full Name: Steven
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: My new toy :)

Post by biggles »

I spoke to Frans before buying the Patrol and I will be popping in by him next week to discuss some stuff... Basically I have been looking to get a bit more oomph out of her and after going through all Pieters posts discovered that what I wanted to do was a) more complicated than on a standard 4.2Td with a mechanical fuel pump and b) had already been done. So she is definitely not pushing enough boost and I am sure it should be coming in sooner. I will also pop in by Pieter when I am home. I need to know what all the holes are for.

Sweetlips: As for Neil and co... I was always a pariah with them because I had a "spit" diesel jeep :rolling:

Ricster: I am at piece with the consumption. The 2.5Td used to return 18 with a trailer and all the attachments to get to a 110km/h cruise. So doing the same with a lot more space is OK. I just feel there is a bit more to get out of her and sure something is not right.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Biggles,

I had some good laughs (and tears as well) reading through all your posts here now.

I would really like for you to make contact with me - I am sure I can also give you lots of info about all the mods done to the car.

One thing I must say about the fuel consumption - it did go up a bit when I jumped from the 265/75/16 tyres (which is standard on these Patrols) to the 305/75/16 that are on there now!! Keep in mind that is quite a bit more rubber on the tar - and I used to average 5km per liter after the tyre change. It used to sit around 6.5 to 7 km per liter - but that was 3.0l and still the smaller tyres. I am sure you will get a better fuel consumption if you go down to 285's (which is what I should have done)!! Unfortunately I was "gat jeukerig" for a mean machine look and could afford it at the time!!

On the picture on in the dunes I wish to comment as follows - I am not sure what you tyre pressures you were running there - but I have been to Atlantis dunes on many occasions with the Patrol and used to let my tyres down to 0.4 bar - :surprised: no jokes!! I never experienced any tyres coming off the rims - as long as you obviously do not do any lock and turn under "speed" as well - but gradual turns under speed no problems.

There is a long sand dune in Atlantis (it is called something like horse shoe or devil's peak or something similar) all I know it is prone for it's long haul to the top!! That Patrol you have now went out there and were the only diesel vehicle (and 3 tons of it on top of all!!!) that day that did make it out there. In fact a guy with a 3.0l petrol Pajero tried several times - made it eventually but overheated his motor so much he blew the motor on the way out of the dunes. We still towed his car back to my house where he had it collected with a flatbed truck.

I know it won't go where most Petrol models do - but do not under estimate that 3 tons of Patrol with flat tyres in the sand - he will surely give you some surprises!!

Hope to meet you soon!!

PS: Did you meet up with Frans as I can't recall him mentioning it to me??
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by biggles »

Pieter

I am slowly learning her ways. I just got around to a good clean for the first time since I had her. Winch and dual battery are in.

I mean to call Frans everyday... but usually very early or very late that i think about it!! I want to boost her socks off :woo: But some things are not right.

I am getting to realise that the shift pionts are way off. You get it to peak torque and it changes gear on you!!
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by biggles »

So Patrol came back yesterday from a check over by Dr Tour de Frans :lol:

So my suspicion of the late boost and less than peak boost are confirmed and Frans traced it to the waste-gate not closing properly. So it leaks boost at low boost and then will not make peak boost. I will live with it for now and maybe have someone look at it in Namibia. It is not terminal. It also got a bit of tune... "ek sê my bra" and it is running better.

But the final modification are underway before she departs for Namibia for at least a year. So camping stuff and lighting is being installed. :blonde:

I am looking at tyre options at the moment. I suspect sourcing a Cooper STT 305/70 r 16 at short notice is going to be fun. 2 of the tyres on the running wheels have bad cuts...I have a spare set of rims (thanks russ) so either rearranging the spare (unused) and 1 new STT on the rear and 2x used become spares. The alternative is going to 285/75 r 16 with 2 spares. That is going to cost in the region of 22K so hoping to find a STT.

Getting a 270 degree awning fitted friday.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Nice !!!.... take pics before the big trip with all the extras !!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

Where did you buy a 270 degree awning - is it Peters one?
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Tinus lotz »

305 70 16 is hoender tande op stt ....daar is een bf km2 beskikaar
Stt 285 75 16 kos R3050 elk as jy wil he daar is 6 in stock by barend :salute:
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by biggles »

Thanks All. Tinus I saw your reply but did not get in a response.

I am in Namibia :woo:
Being worked to the bone :thumbdown:
But its all exciting stuff :blonde:

I ended up going with Hankook DynaPro AT-M 285 75 R16. If felt like I was driving a cloud out of the tyre place!! :lol: So smooth... Then the alternator wouldn't charge the battery. It was pushing 11.3V most of the time. Needs 13 to charge the battery. And this was the day before I left for Namibia. Anyway I decided to charge the batteries overnight and left the next day. lovely drive. Enjoyed it thoroughly. And everything seemed fine until a few stops and engine starts at the border saw the main battery at half charge. Then it got dark and with lights on the battery wasn't charging and brights saw the battery level drop very low (1-2 leds on the battery indicator). At 11:30 in Marientaal the lights dimmed as I pulled into the petrol station. Anyway plugged in the trickle charger and was off again with full batteries the following morning. I was joking with the attendants that it was a new electric car that needed charging...

Anyway Frans (tour de Frans) mentioned the alternator was to small but the biggest they could find with a vacuum pump. Doing the research now on how to cure it. It has put paid to my plans to go camping in Damaraland properly roughing it. Now I will have to find a place with power outlet to charge the patrol!!!!

Anyway too busy to do anything with the car now.

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”