Page 1 of 2

Radiator

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 12:58
by johannes.dieterich
I am urgently looking for a newly imported or reasonably refurbished radiator for my Y 61, 4.5l petrol, year 2001.
The original one is apparently 14.000 Rand which I can't afford.

I need it as a matter of urgency. Any advise appreciated.

Johannes

Re: Radiator

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 16:37
by Marino4x4
Hi Johannes

What happened to the original? Normally the plastic parts on the top and bottom breaks or starts to leak. This is due to the different thermal expansion of aluminum and the plastic. The plastic fatigues and crack. Mine was fixed by silverton radiators. Think it was R1500 or so. If it is a total wright off go to silverton any way and ask them for some assistants, mined you, you can use any radiator company. They might have a cheaper fix.

Cheers

Re: Radiator

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 23:05
by johannes.dieterich
Marino4x4 wrote:Hi Johannes

What happened to the original? Normally the plastic parts on the top and bottom breaks or starts to leak. This is due to the different thermal expansion of aluminum and the plastic. The plastic fatigues and crack. Mine was fixed by silverton radiators. Think it was R1500 or so. If it is a total wright off go to silverton any way and ask them for some assistants, mined you, you can use any radiator company. They might have a cheaper fix.

Cheers
Thanks very much Marino,

I haven't seen what exactly broke off from my radiator. I took it to Graham Cummings who wanted to put in new pipes. When he pulled the old ones off parts of the plastic of the radiator must have broken off. He said the plastic was very brittle. I wasn't aware that this t could be repaired. Graham told me that I should get a new one from Nissan which he said costs 14.000 R (it turned out to be "just" 10.000R, but not available at short notice anyway). There seem to be a couple of other options though. I will most probably go to Silverton/Strydom Park tomorrow morning. Which Silverton branch did you use?

Johannes

Re: Radiator

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 08:26
by Marino4x4
Hi Johannes

I am in Bloemfontein. Used the one here. They welded a aluminium tank to the top of my radiator. They added all the pipe fittings as well. Hope you find a cheaper solution.

Re: Radiator

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 08:50
by Herrie
Contact these Commercial Auto Parts guys 011 493 7010 or Commercial Operations <operations@caparts.co.za> they might have a radiator for you.

Re: Radiator

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 10:01
by Marino4x4
Johannes

Another option is Euro4x4parts.
Radiator.jpg
Radiator.jpg (366.08 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
The big problem is to get it to SA.

Re: Radiator

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 11:10
by Kagiso II
BMW 7 series V8 has been used in Patrol with success -- you can pick 'm up for around R2000

Re: Radiator

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 11:48
by johannes.dieterich
Kagiso II wrote:BMW 7 series V8 has been used in Patrol with success -- you can pick 'm up for around R2000
Thanks, Kagiso.

I will have one made out of alluminium; costs 3 grand plus VAT. If you need one at one stage and want to find out about my experience, give me a shout.

Johannes

Re: Radiator

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 11:49
by johannes.dieterich
Marino4x4 wrote:Johannes

Another option is Euro4x4parts.
Radiator.jpg
The big problem is to get it to SA.
Hi Marinus,

Thanks so much for your advise.
I will have one made out of alluminium; costs 3 grand plus VAT. If you need one at one stage and want to find out about my experience, give me a shout.

Johannes

Re: Radiator

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 11:50
by johannes.dieterich
Herrie wrote:Contact these Commercial Auto Parts guys 011 493 7010 or Commercial Operations <operations@caparts.co.za> they might have a radiator for you.
Thanks a lot Herrie,

I will have one made out of alluminium; costs 3 grand plus VAT. If you need one at one stage and want to find out about my experience, give me a shout.
I'll store the numbers of your spare guys for other sad occasions.

Take care,

Johannes