Full Name: Izak
Nickname: Sakkie
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: 2003 Patrol 3.0 D SRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

TOPGEAR OPINION ON NISSAN PATROL

Post by Izak »

TOPGEAR's opinion on the Patrol

•Comfort : That old-school chassis set up means the Patrol transmits everything it rolls over straight through the suspension, seat and spine. It's also got an old, rough engine from the land that refinement forgot.

•Performance : The only engine you can get is a 3.0-litre diesel with just 158bhp to cope with its 2.5 tonne kerbweight. So you have time to apply in writing if you want to pass 60mph. Torque is what the Patrol provides, in get fistfuls. A caravanner's dream.

•Cool : There's definitely something cool about a car that UN peacekeepers and assorted militiamen swear by. While Land Rover would have you believe theirs is the default for foreign climes, it's Nissans and Toyotas all the way.

•Quality : There is some tacky trim in the Patrol, a bid by Nissan to sell it as a semi-premium SUV, but the basics are still bullet proof. Disclaimer: Not literally, Osama.

•Handling : This is not a car that handles. It doesn't go round corners anyway, it goes across them. The antiquated separate chassis design, where modern motors like the Discovery have a monocoque, means it's all over the shop.

•Practicality : There's enough room in here for a private army (which is convenient) and when you fold the seats flat there's 2,300litres of load space. Enough for a few surface-to-air missiles or something.

•Running costs : Fuel economy is poor, and tax will be high as this old engine is dirty by modern standards. Not much is likely to go wrong however, and there's a strong demand for second hand models in various terrorist training camps.

I think I like the look: :thumbup: :think:

But I do not know how to put photo's on the site.

This is the link.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/nissan/patrol ... =2#tab-box
XenoBlitz
Full Name: Wilhelm van Rooyen
Nickname: Wilhelm
Home Town: Secunda
Current 4x4: The 4.5 Turbo
SWAMBO - 2007 Jimny

Re: TOPGEAR OPINION ON NISSAN PATROL

Post by XenoBlitz »

Well, what exactly would you expect when a racing driver takes his lorry to the track?

Let him bring his landrover on a route with us and then we'll talk again.
May the road be long.. and dirty.
The 4.5 Turbo
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by David »

I love their show but take it for what it is - a show :thumbup:

... but asking them to comment on a 4x4 is like asking your mechanic to do brain surgery :confused:

Also saw how a motoring journalist from La't Wiel got the Patrol stuck on TV - Stupid and just showed the lack of experience of these guys regarding things off road. :doh:

I would rather ask the guys from the Land Cruiser club what they think of a Patrol before I take to heart what Jeromy thinks about a Troll :naughty:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

ek en jy WEET die man praat 'n hoop straant - maar so baie anner oningeligde apies lees ook sy snert en vreet dit op vir soetkoek .. dis hulle wat ons moet jammer kry
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Actually I think Jeremy's opinion was more flattergin than I expected.
Clarkson is unasshamedly biased towards Brittish cars generally.

When La't Wiel (or any other motor show for that matter) manages to get stuck, it is always unfair, as there is never a like for like comparion: same driver, same obstacle. And then differnt types of obstacles too, as some are better in English mud (LR) and others better on Middle East deserts (Patrol) etc.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by David »

I agree Alex - but on the La't Wiel issue I think he was windgat and tried to show off by driving into soft sand just because he can (he was afterall driving a Patrol :doh: ) and got stuck. That was for me plain foolish. I wonder if he even had the Troll in 4x4 :think:

I am all for direct comparisons - we see it all the time when doing 4x4 trails with a bunch of other cars - some make an obstacle look difficult and when you get there you wonder what all the fuss was about :think:

Oompie - dit laat my dink aan Andre van Safari 4x4 Roetes se kamera 'angles' - Snaaks hoe al die bome en gras skeef groei waar hy ry maar sjoe daai Fortuner van hom kan darem steil bulte uitry :rolling: Die oningeligtes dink dis ongelooflik...
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar
Home Language: English

Post by Grant »

JC is a petrol head and chaces HP. All thier test are of the latest sports cars. Why thye gave him a Patrol I do not understand. It's like picking a stick for you own arse. We should send him to North Africa, and Middle east, and get his are into those monster Patrols.

I love the show and watch it over and over. Love his opinions but do not always agree. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”