Help with 2001 Patrol 3 litre Diesel

Nissan Patrol Reference Library. Reference Information, both general and technical
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Re: Help with 2001 Patrol 3 litre Diesel

Post by SJC »

For R100k you will be able to pick up a good/clean 4.5....
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

More options:

R120k 4.8: http://www.junkmail.co.za/motoring/4x4- ... c/65754736
R113k 4.8: https://www.olx.co.za/ad/nissan-patrol- ... c2f78c7d17
R94k 2001 3.0Di GRX: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkie ... 0944281609
R92k 2006 4.8 (need some love): https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkie ... 1010430809
(think the price is too high?)

R90k 3.0 converted to Lexus: http://www.junkmail.co.za/motoring/4x4- ... l/66027410
R98k Another Lexus conversion: https://www.olx.co.za/ad/nissan-patrol- ... c2f78c7d17
(Only throwing these in here, because you mentioned the "c word" as an option few posts back.... :surprised: :doh: :lol: )
Alex here on the forum did a Lexus conversion on his hangrenade patrol and seems to be quite happy with it... :wink:

And lastly, just for interest sake (to other forum members), a nicely priced 4.2 bakkie: http://www.automart.co.za/cars/nissan-p ... id-3583036
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Deblank wrote:I was under the impression that if a vehicle manages to do 240'000kms then it is unlikely that it will "hand grenade", but after these posts I am reviewing my opinion.

And yes, Picasso, I am chasing the auto box. I have not driven a manual box in years and in off-road conditions you cannot fault the auto - well not the D4 auto anyway. So I may be wrongly influenced to go after this particular Patrol.

BTW SJC, the dealer wants R100k. To my mind not toooo bad.
Welcome to the forum.

Regarding the first quoted comment, this would be true if the problem were structural in nature, like the D3 TDV6 crankshaft breakage issue. But it's not, and is influenced in a large part by how it is driven. And unfortunately, there are no checks that will show up problems before it's effectively too late.

Regarding the auto box: the five-speed auto fitted to the 4.8's is a brilliant, modern box. The three-speed-plus-overdrive in the 3l and 4.5 autos is an old-fashioned clunker. Having driven them only a couple of times, I found them hugely frustrating. Drive before you buy.

Regarding the price, that is far too much for a vehicle where you may shortly have to spend more than R60k on repairs...
:mytwocents:
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
XenoBlitz
Full Name: Wilhelm van Rooyen
Nickname: Wilhelm
Home Town: Secunda
Current 4x4: The 4.5 Turbo
SWAMBO - 2007 Jimny

Post by XenoBlitz »

Good morning Deblank and welcome to the Patrol Forum.

I'm simply going to iterate what you should have already read (not so) between the lines from the other posts... Don't buy the 3.0 for that price. For the same price, rather consider the 4.5 petrol. For a little more, I would strongly suggest a 4.8 automatic. There is really nothing better than a 4.8 engine (if you don't consider the conversions) and it will give a many hassle free kilometers. I'm not going to blatantly bash other car makes, but let's just say you get far more value for money when buying a Patrol.

Cheers and many happy trails to you.
May the road be long.. and dirty.
The 4.5 Turbo
Deblank
Full Name: Des Blankenberg
Nickname: Des
Home Town: Pinetown
Current 4x4: 2011 Disco 4 SDV6 SE
Home Language: English

Post by Deblank »

[quote="SJC"]More options:

R120k 4.8: http://www.junkmail.co.za/motoring/4x4- ... c/65754736
R113k 4.8: https://www.olx.co.za/ad/nissan-patrol- ... c2f78c7d17
R94k 2001 3.0Di GRX: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkie ... 0944281609
R92k 2006 4.8 (need some love): https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkie ... 1010430809
(think the price is too high?)

The highlighted line is the Auto Patrol I was initially interested in at R94'900 plus on the road costs bringing it up to plus/minus R100k
Thanks for your info all the same.
Deblank
Full Name: Des Blankenberg
Nickname: Des
Home Town: Pinetown
Current 4x4: 2011 Disco 4 SDV6 SE

Post by Deblank »

XenoBlitz wrote:Good morning Deblank and welcome to the Patrol Forum.

I'm simply going to iterate what you should have already read (not so) between the lines from the other posts... Don't buy the 3.0 for that price. For the same price, rather consider the 4.5 petrol. For a little more, I would strongly suggest a 4.8 automatic. There is really nothing better than a 4.8 engine (if you don't consider the conversions) and it will give a many hassle free kilometers. I'm not going to blatantly bash other car makes, but let's just say you get far more value for money when buying a Patrol.

Cheers and many happy trails to you.

Mmmmhhh, sounds very enticing from you and Peter Connan - especially the positive comments about the auto.
But you see I have had the experience of doing long offroad trips with my Disco 3 V8 and I was forced to carry high octane fuel - a very dangerous practice. And then you also have the lack of high octane in certain remote areas. So besides the very high fuel consumption there is also the danger of carrying fuel, the lack of availability of fuel, and that dampens the whole idea. And that is from my own experiences.
Btw, what is the town consumption, the highway consumption and the off-road consumption of your 05 model, just in case I decide to "give it a go" again.
I like what all of you are saying about the petrol models. It comes with my favourite feature - good automatic box.
XenoBlitz
Full Name: Wilhelm van Rooyen
Nickname: Wilhelm
Home Town: Secunda
Current 4x4: The 4.5 Turbo
SWAMBO - 2007 Jimny

Post by XenoBlitz »

Deblank

I drive an older 1999 4.5 GRX and it has seen some 350 000 km of driving. At least 100 000 which was not friendly. I've thrown my Patrol on its side once during an obstacle course, I've fried all the electrics (due to shoddy workmanship by Lynx 4x4) and I've driven in areas where other vehicles lost shafts and rims. Only once has my Patrol let me down and that was due to the alternator rusting after 16 months in Swakopmund (where the salt mist comes in 300 days a year.). It is truly the toughest vehicle by far.

Fuel consumption on my 4.5 is roughly 5 km/l in town, 5.7 on highways and as low as 1.8 in very fine sand. (I could not even walk properly, the sand was like fluffy baby powder.) Some people claim to get 6, but I've not been one of them.
I have 120 litres capacity combined in my primary and secondary fuel tanks (standard) which can easily be upgraded to 180 litres. I also have an external jerry can mount on my rear bumper, so even after many miles traveled I've never had a shortage of fuel (yet). Lastly, I've poured fuel in some ghastly places and other than keeping a spare fuel filter in my drawers, I've never had any problems with dirty fuel. I'm not certain what problems you've had with carrying high-octane fuel, but I've not experienced this problem before.

If I had the opportunity, I'd buy a second patrol (4.8 short wheel base if I can find one) but I would never-ever get rid of my current 4.5 GRX.
May the road be long.. and dirty.
The 4.5 Turbo
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe

Post by IanT »

Hi Deblank,they call me Soutpeel! I have a leg in both camps (Land Rover and Nissan) I must say I think you are very brave taking your Disco 3 overlanding, I think your best recovery tool for that if it go's wrong in the middle of nowhere is a match in the fuel tank and hope someone sees the smoke. My option on overlanding! the simpler the better! A big block diesel(with no electric's and turbo's) (I would not even consider taking my Defender Puma into a remote area by myself, just too many electrics!) or a simple big petrol motor, yes the diesel is slow and the petrol is expensive on fuel but you know you will get to your destination in the end.

Patrol or Cruiser? I don't know never having driven a cruiser, what I do know is that I have had all the patrols 4.2, 4.5 and 4.8 the best one in my opition is the 4.8, but non of them have ever let me down :mytwocents:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Spot on Ian....

I would push it even further and say that the ultimate for worry free driving anywhere in Africa, would be the 4.2 n/a diesel ( GQ and GU ), as there is really zero electronics keeping that motor running other than a solenoid to either allow diesel into the injector pump or shut it down to switch the engine off. Pushing further, a standard aftermarket turbo on a TD42 is purely a mechanical device, and unlike the more modern vehicles out there that use electronic controllers for the variable vane turbos on the 3.0 Patrols and on almost all other modern brand vehicles, a turbo on a TD42 motor that is set up NOT to its max potential will be as reliable as an old Massey Ferguson tractor out in the fields.

You want to hear about reliability and how awesome these Patrols are..... I burnt a hole through my no 2 piston a few weeks after I bought my Patrol. This happened 550Km from my house in Botswana. I drove my TD42 Patrol with aftermarket turbo all the way home. I used about 15 litres of oil getting there but she never skipped a beat. And that, my friend, is why these TD42 machines are almost indestructible, and I don't play games when I'm in my Iron Maiden.

Having said that, the GQ 4.2 carb petrol is also on the list as reliable as can be, but there is a fair fuel cost difference between these vehicles. ( Peter Connan one is a beast even though he has done some changes. I assume the carby 4.2 doesn't have any ECU etc?)

Another thing, the TD42 motor if in a pickle can run on almost anything from old cooking oil with a bit of paraffin and a dash of 2 stroke to some very dodgy fuel that can be bought on the side of the road in some African countries. In place of Jerry cans for fuel, carry 2 bottles of motor oil and filters and a spare diesel filter, and go forth and conquer.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Hi Des -- welcome in the group ..
I have scanned most of the replies .. and like you many are based on hearsay and pre formed perseptions.
I had TWO ZD 30 engined vehicles .. [a] A 2002 PATROL .. which did hand granade BUT that was due to Nissan agents [Mennlyn Nissan] after the eingine light on the dash came on, did diagnostics on my car with a faulty 'console' . [That computer thingy the do the diagnostics with] -- That engine was overhauled by SAC Centurion and they messed up some big time .. AGAROB gave his 2nd owner headaches untill Michael re did that engine .. and sorted out the SAC hash ups
The current owner is much happy with AGAROB

a 2001 ZD30 Hard Body .. Sold it on 230 000 and still can cry .. should 've kept it . Wimpy drove it to almost 300 K km's .. and AFIK the current owner still very happy with it
SO -- yes. If you take care of the ZD 30 engine it will go to 500 000 Km and more.

Will I buy a 30. Di Nissan ? Patrol or Hard Body? If the price was right ? YES and YES [BUT I have a 4,2 with turbo so the motivation is not really there and I am mostly broke .. but you know what I mean...

Offer them 85 00 for the vehicle [that should be close to what they paid for it on trade in] Then have Michael sort it out for you .. after
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!

Return to “07. Reference Library”