3.0 "Handgranaat" toetse / kontrole

Nissan Patrol Reference Library. Reference Information, both general and technical
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: 3.0 "Handgranaat" toetse / kontrole

Post by ricster »

Being a diesel-head, I have to weigh in here. I was never a fan of the ZD30 motor on in the Patrol, however over the years I have grown a little love for them ( Just a little ....hahahaha)

That motor is quite a powerful engine and does without a doubt work well in a Patrol..... however.... there are certain things that MUST be done to ensure one can reach the Km lifespan of a TD42 and TB42 / TB45 / TB48 motors. The new ( post 2004 models were supposedly sorted... that's when manufactured, not date of registration !!!! ). But even on the new ( post 2004 ) models an EGT gauge the MOST IMPORTANT piece of equipment that should be fitted. This is often not done buy owners who are not e know, and hence the handgrenade is born. Yes this is an issue that Nissan should have resolved on the older models and and and and.... but this never happened.

If I was going to buy a running 3.0 diesel Patrol, I would first of all try to get it for as cheap as possible, to allow me to spend a bit of money opening the motor up. If the motor is running, there is no repair cost. This way one can inspect the pistons for any issues. I would probably buy new pistons, rings and bearings, as these costs would be fairly cheap, refit everything back with a new high quality ( not an "el cheapo" )head gasket, flush the radiator and replace with genuine Nissan antifreeze/coolant, and Bob's ya Auntie, you have basically a brand new motor.

Before driving anywhere, I would block the EGT etc and do the various cheap modifications that are well documented on the forum, and drive that Patrol for many many Km. Those ZD motors can be serviced super easy much like the petrol Patrols ( 10 000Km - although I think they say 15 000Km in the book, but I would keep it at a max of 10 000 ) can and for cheaper. and you get great fuel savings and the only place the petrol Patrol will beat you is in the big sand dunes.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the sound and power of a 6 cylinder 4.8, but even my 4.2 turbo diesel will run well with a 4.5 and a 4.8 ( execpt the 4.8 on top speed )and be more fuel efficient. If you look after the vehicle from scratch, then you won't have the massive costs of repairing a diesel engine...... not that repairing a petrol engine is really much cheaper.....

So back to topic.... If you can get it for a damn good price, and spend the money top ensure a brand new motor will be the end result with looooooooong km ahead, then I say go for it. The petrol heads here on the forum will say that the petrol is better, and the diesel heads will say that the diesel is better. An opinion is like an ...... never mind....hahaha.... we are all passionate about our beasts :thumbup: :thumbup: You must choose what Patrol YOU want and like :thumbup:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

exaccitally what Ricster said .. Even to the point where I can say that I would consider a swop between iNyathi and a 2004 3.0 diesel Patrol [GRX of cause ]

On our Facebook Page there are members with over 300 thousand Km on, unopened and still dong fine. Boezman is approaching 300,000 and doing bakgat stil .. ask Wimpy O [maar hy het hom nou verkoop]
The Toyota guys have the same "granade" with the D4D 3,0 motor .. but they keep it quiet.
So -- take note of what Ricster wrote -- buy the 3.0 and take good care of it - it will take you amazing places :thumbup: :oldtimer: :oldtimer: :mytwocents: :mytwocents:

The following is a "copy & paste" from the HiLux Facebook Group ..
Berrima Diesel Service - The Diesel Experts watching The Big Bang Theory at Berrima Diesel Service - The Diesel Experts.
7 December 2016 at 22:19 · Berrima, NSW, Australia

The good old D4D Injector puts hole in piston syndrome.....

Get your D4D injectors changed for Brand New before this happens to your 1KD-FTV.
We recommend Genuine Denso New injectors.... Not reco, reman, blue printed.
Why? We've been installing New injectors whenever we get a 1KD-FTV in and we see trouble free running until the next recommended change interval. We would say replace them every 100,000km for safety.

This is an issue Toyota Australia STILL refuse to acknowledge... countless customers have we seen that tell us the story of their failed engine.... 1 piston with hole in it... When will Toyota Australia get its head out of the clouds and stop the cost to its customers?
Our last major post on this back in Nov 2014 (over 1000 Shares and Comments) was "coincidentally" followed by a recall 3 months later being released by Toyota... But as usual... they fell short and just admitted to "some leaking injector seals".
So.... the Rattling Injector when Cold syndrome continues..... Until an engine goes pop. Crazy!
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Ds J
Full Name: Jaap Steenkamp
Nickname: Ds J
Home Town: Stella
Current 4x4: 1985 Hilux 4x4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Ds J »

Baie dankie vir die raad en hulp, dit klink na 'n soliede plan om dadelik die enjin oor te doen.

In ons geval het die ou lewe al weer 'n paar draaie gemaak. Ek kan nie hierdie Patrol kry nie want hy staan by 'n handelaar en is ouer as tien jaar. Die bank is dus redelik hardnekkig oor finansiering .

(Ons doen toe maar aansoek vir 'n Fortuner. :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: )

Ek het egter 'n 4.2tD (!!!) in die Kaap gekry en en vrou vir 'n toetsrit in 'n Patrol gevat. Toe ons terugry het sy gesê dat, as die Fortuner nie deurgaan nie, ek maar vir haar 'n Patrol kan soek! :woo: :woo: :woo:
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Kagiso II wrote: Get your D4D injectors changed for Brand New before this happens to your 1KD-FTV.
We recommend Genuine Denso New injectors.... Not reco, reman, blue printed.
Why? We've been installing New injectors whenever we get a 1KD-FTV in and we see trouble free running until the next recommended change interval. We would say replace them every 100,000km for safety.

This is an issue Toyota Australia STILL refuse to acknowledge... countless customers have we seen that tell us the story of their failed engine.... 1 piston with hole in it... When will Toyota Australia get its head out of the clouds and stop the cost to its customers?
Our last major post on this back in Nov 2014 (over 1000 Shares and Comments) was "coincidentally" followed by a recall 3 months later being released by Toyota... But as usual... they fell short and just admitted to "some leaking injector seals".
So.... the Rattling Injector when Cold syndrome continues..... Until an engine goes pop. Crazy!
Oom Mac

I agree that it is important to change injectors every 100k
The trend has been towards smaller engines and more refined injectors, spraying smaller quantities more frequently, in order to get greater power / fuel efficiency
So all other things held equal, the D4D would be subject to the same risks as other modern turbo diesels.

I just can't help to think though, if the problems with with D4D had been remotely as bad as it had been for the ZD30 (specifically the models between 2001 and 2004), we would have seen far more of them on flatbeds in SA, than had been the case.
There are gazillions of them on our roads and I have not seen one on a flatbed yet.
The community forum is good place to check. There are a few (very few) cases I know of that had Turbo failure. But nothing more than that.
Sure enough, the other brand owners complain that Toyota owners keep their problems secret and don't post them on the forum!, but then the evidence would still have been on our roads for everyone to see.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Well I will give my input as well.

The D4D is a brilliant engine and is not even close to being the same as the zd30 hand granade engin. Has nothing in common with it and specially not the injection system.

If I had to compare the D4D engine to a Nissan engine it would be the YD25 Navara engine as they are at least both common rail and the latest zd30 crd as well.

I have not heard about the injectors that has to be changed every 100,000km and dont think it is manditory. I have a 2012 D4D with 265,000km on and it is still running on its original injectors.
The D4D is not unbreakable and yes allot of them have failures, but in my opinion its one of the best engines ever built. And that is why they outnumber all other brands on the market by far.

If any engines injectors should be checked or replaced every 100,000km I think it should be the zd30, because that is the no.1 cause of engine failures on them. :mytwocents:
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff

Return to “07. Reference Library”