newlimb
Full Name: André Olivier
Nickname: André
Home Town: Wales, UK
Current 4x4: 1995 Nissan Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Diesel problems???

Post by newlimb »

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I need some clarity on this issue.

A lot has been said about the 3.0 liter diesel. Was the problems on the 2001-2003 models only OR on the 2005 to current models as well? I am considering a 2005 model with 105000km's as I can get it for £11000 while living here in Wales (second hand vehicles are cheap, unlike in South Africa).
1) Is this a 'hand grenade model' ?
2) Fuel consumption on average?
3) Is the 3.0l under powered, open road and off-road ? (I currently own a 1995 4.2 Petrol and had a 4.2 diesel, so that's my reference point)

Thanks
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Re: Diesel problems???

Post by Alex Roux »

Hi Andre

The main problems were indeed with 2001 to 2003 models.
These were more or less fixed subsequently, but is not full proof.
However the problems were also more common in the warmer regions such as Aus and SA.
Wales is an unlikely place for a hand grenade.

Consumption of the 3td is the best among trols. A lite foot can get as much as 10km per liter on open road.

I found power is more than enough when off road. Torque is where it should be for a TD.
Open road cruising at 120 is comfortable, but if you are in a hurry, going beyond 140 is at a strain.

For more info see:
http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... 8&start=20
and
http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/zd30_engine_problems.htm
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Newlimb, I also drive a 4.2 Y60
I have a couple of friends with 3l Patrols, and have been able to observe them extensively during long overland trips as well as rough trails.

The 3l cruises beautifully at 120km/h, pretty much irrespective of load, and will use 8-9km/l or even better while doing so, when I am struggling to get 5km/l.

I live on the highveld, and here the 3l certainly has more power than the 4.2. The acceleration of the two is similar, but the 3l will hold a high gear up hills better than the 4.2.

On a trial, particularly a rocky trail, I prefer the 4.2. The 4.2 still has significant torque at very low revs, even down to 200rpm, but the diesel doesn't do this, and needs to have the turbo on song. However I am not sure exactly how many revs are needed to get the turbo spooling, I would guess 800-1000. This is particularly evident if larger tires have been fitted, and I would certainly not fit tires bigger than 33" without changing diff ratios with this engine.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Post by Russ Kellermann »

2005 most problems fixed but protection should still be put in place. (Ie: NADS = Nissan Anti Detonation System)

From Memory this includes,

1: Oil Catch Can
2: Dawes and Needle Valve
3: EGR Block plate
4: Boost gauge
5: EGT gauge

With these items installed and a sensible driver the 3.0 has been proven to do hard work in remote places for many hundreds of thousands km.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

Good day Russ
How does a NADS work on a diesel?
Rdgs
Frans
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
Grootseun
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Driko Henningse
Nickname: Grootseun
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: 2001 3.0 TDI Patrol
2006 3.3v6 Kingcab ( 4x2 ) on 33" ( sold )
2012 Navara Kingcab 4x2 2.5 tdi

Post by Grootseun »

Russ Kellermann wrote:2005 most problems fixed but protection should still be put in place. (Ie: NADS = Nissan Anti Detonation System)

From Memory this includes,

1: Oil Catch Can
2: Dawes and Needle Valve
3: EGR Block plate
4: Boost gauge
5: EGT gauge

With these items installed and a sensible driver the 3.0 has been proven to do hard work in remote places for many hundreds of thousands km.
Good point Russ
Frans - the catch can keeps the excess oil out of intercooler
the dawes valve if properly adjusted stops the boost spikes , the needle valve however is a choice and only needed if you take out the electronic boost control - i did only dawes and
the ecu still controls my VNT actuator
EGR - they block it to keep the soot out of the intake - i didnt block mine - egr has the sole purpose of reducing combustion temperatures to reduce NOX formation , high combustion
temps is what kills the 3.0
Boost and EGT gauge i dont need to explain to a boffin like you

But guys dont forget the BIG intercooler - i have taken the sample intercooler of mine and a view others and huge difference , did a 1000km trip this weekend the highest EHT recorder was 690 and that was when i lost my temper with the vehicle in front of me and overtook him - i was already cruising at 130 when this happend , went to 145 with a 50mm lift and 33" tyres to see that rise in temps on my 2001
2001 9.4 Patrol DI GRX
Bigger Intercooler
Oil Catch Can
PC Bash Plates
More Mods to follow
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

hahaha thats insane! but cool.

thanks for elaborating there for Frans.

Frans this is how every single ZD30 motor in Australia and elsewhere around the world where patrols are prevalent get modified. I have read countless testimonials to its benefits. This, according to the literature i've encountered and pictorials i have seen , seems to be the answer to this motor. Sure, its not Bomb Proof, but as you would know, no motor is, not even the TD42 or (ti) variants.

Put it this way, i would purchase a new ZD30 Patrol tomorrow with no worries if i was able to install the above from new.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

Russ en Grootseun.
Ek was lanklaas op die forum, en het weer na my vraag gekyk wat ek vir Russ gevra het.Dit was n eenvoudige vraag en toe kom julle met n vreeslike verduideliking wat nog nie my vraag antwoord nie.
Ek vra weer, Wat het n anti detonation device te doen met n diesel. Of verstaan ek verkeerd. Staan NADS vir n oil catch can en n daws valve(wat nie werk nie) en n boost guage en n egt guage met n afgeblankte egr??
Grootseun, jou antwoord aan my is n moerse grap vir Russ. Ek en jy kan later weer hieroor praat, ek verskil van jou egr wat die sylinder temp "reduce."
Russ the day you fix cars for a living and realy know your stuff, you can then come and talk shit to me.

Newlimb, sorry for invading your post.
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy

Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Frans,

Instead of shouting from the grandstands at others posts, why dont you come down to the field and play. The Author of this thread asked for advice on a purchase, if you were not happy with mine and/or others suggestions, that is the point where you are meant to post your addition to the thread, with all your years of know-how. If all you intend on doing is bombing threads and mentioning how ill-advised others are and refraining from posting your own advice, then please reconsider your involvement with this forum.

Note: Dont ever speak to me like that again is that understood.

Best
Russell Kellermann.
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

Ek vra omverskoning vir die wat my mis verstaan. Ek het nogaltyd net wou help met goeie raad. Dit is moeilik om boek kennins te vergelyk met die praktyk. Alles let wel alles wat ek hier gepost het, het ek persoonlike ondervinding gehad, Niks uit n boek of hoor-se nie. Terugvoer van klieente, negatief en positief het my meer geleer van die pratyk. Maar dit daar gelaat.
Ek vra weer omverskoning vir die wat my post onvriedelik lees.
Ek trek dit wel nie terug wat ek gepost het nie. En daarom sal ek nie meer deel van die forum wees nie.
So sal die forum Base my afhaal.
Sorry Russ, not understood, I will not withdraw what I said. Please prove me wrong anyware on this forum.
Rdgs
Frans
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy

Return to “02. WWW Notice Board”