Full Name: Oz
Nickname: Oz
Home Town: East London
Current 4x4: Hilux
Home Language: Enbglish

Opinions on 98 Y61 4.2 non turbo

Post by WannabeTroll »

Hi Guys

Admin: On a sidenote, perhaps create a section where "potential" patrol owners can post photos and ask questions about vehicles they're interested in. If there is I apologise for being too hasty.

I've always wanted a big 'Wagon' and the cruiser and Patrols are the only contenders in my mind. I have a hilux at the moment but it makes me a little sick when I see the retail value of it and their current selling prices are. Point is one pays a premium for a toyota. That out the way...

Always been on the look out for a Patrol in my budget and honestly there really aren't many. Been looking up to R120k, so older vehicles.

I found this one last week and I wondered if anyone knows it? https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkie ... 0010395509

1998 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Diesel(Non Turbo)
290 000kms
Asking R95 000
The current owner has had it for about 9 months and upgraded/bought a Patrol pickup instead and wanting to sell. Only mods done to the vehicle was OME suspension upgrade (I think a 2inch).

I like it, but there a few things that make me uneasy about it.

I've read up on the TD42 motors and believe they're slow donkeys that are notoriously reliable and fuel efficient (8km/l). I'm looking for a solid daily driver around town and weekends away. No dunes or swapping.

It's sitting in South KZN so difficult for me to get to with work. Owner has sent me a bunch of photos and videos.

Any prior knowledge or opinions of the vehicle would be greatly appreciated. Hope to properly introduce myself and my new Patrol officially at some stage.

Thanks in advance.
Currently looking for a Y61 Patrol TD42.
WannabeTroll

Re: Opinions on 98 Y61 4.2 non turbo

Post by WannabeTroll »

Here the photos I've collected, http://cloudbridge.co.za/patrol/
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Welcome

It's got a forum sticker, so probably is known. I will let the diesel fans answer you as to the relative merits of this vehicle, but I am just wondering what happenned to that rear seat belt...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Stefaansie
Full Name: Andre Vorster
Nickname: André
Home Town: Benoni
Current 4x4: 1996 SGL-D 4.2 Patrol

Post by Stefaansie »

Hi Oscar,

That is about the going price for one of these.

I had the same model for a year and a bit, bought and sold for the same price. So, if you decide to sell again, you won't lose.

I can attest, they are slow. But they are quite solid and heavy. And they drive like a dream (for me it did)

So, it will be a very personal choice for you. Whether you can live with something that slow or not.

Mine sounded very nice with the free-flow exhaust, but it was truly just a sound effect, it still did the initial 86KW or so from the factory.

So, going away for a weekend/holiday and towing something, you need to be in a very relaxed state of mind, cause, you can't be in a hurry, you just can't. :biggrin:

Speak to the people who has done the turbo conversion. They will be able to tell you about the "before" and "after" - it literally doubles the output power, transforming it into a beast that stands back for nothing! If I had the funds, it would have been a no-brainer.

As for spares, there's plenty to go around (up in Valie-land anyways), so, it shouldn't be a problem.

P.s. Those are gem vehicles, and getting very scares.
'96 SGL-D PATROL (GQ)
ECHO 3
'07 SUZUKI BOULEVARD 1800
'06 YAMAHA 700 RAPTOR
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

The suv has pick up rims on 6.5j dont think its a problem ....real gem that
WannabeTroll

Post by WannabeTroll »

Morning Gents

Well spotted Peter. I only later last night came across a post mentioning the 'new' forum logo and can now recognise it. I assume the wear on the seatbelt was from securing the drawers he had in the back somehow. Will ask about it. Thanks

Andre: I'm in no hurry most of the time but might need to adjust early I leave before an appointment. I drive my 2700 hilux pretty conservatively already doing about 110km/h on the highway doing less than 3000rpm. When you mention slow, would it be slower? I generally drive by the rev counter, so for my hilux 3000rpm is what feels comfortable to me. At what speed would the 4.2 feel comfortable? If that makes any sense?

Hi Tinus. Did these come out with Alu rims from factory? I see the front left has some surface rust. What do you mean by "6.5j"?

Thanks again.
Stefaansie
Full Name: Andre Vorster
Nickname: André
Home Town: Benoni
Current 4x4: 1996 SGL-D 4.2 Patrol

Post by Stefaansie »

Oscar,

By slow, I mean it takes a good while to get up to speed. Overtaking a slower vehicle/truck on a dual carriageway would take some planning.

Remember, that Wagon weighs about 3t, and utilizing the 86 odd KW to get it moving takes time.

I don't have any figures, so, I can't say exactly how slow it is, but I recon your Hilux would be a lot more nimble.

The Patrol does a very relaxed 120kph at 2500rpm. Prolly why the consumption is not too bad.

What bothered me a lot was the ratio between 3rd and 4th gear. The drop in rpm was too much - my opinion. But then again, you can reach 120 easily in 4th gear.

Whilst it might be the slowest wagon out there, you still feel like the King of the road.
'96 SGL-D PATROL (GQ)
ECHO 3
'07 SUZUKI BOULEVARD 1800
'06 YAMAHA 700 RAPTOR
JamesC
Full Name: james cameron
Nickname: James
Home Town: Potchefstroom
Current 4x4: Toyota
Home Language: English

Post by JamesC »

This specific car has been in the market for months now.

Somehow, something does not feel right about it. I have also contacted the owner intermittently regarding the vehicle since the beginning of the year.

Would love to own one, but as I say, something does not feel right about this specific car. So I will pass.
WannabeTroll

Post by WannabeTroll »

I'd feel far more confident if I could chat to the previous owners. It seems to have a FSH but following up with the local Nissan agents here their system doesn't connect nationally, so no details available.
JamesC
Full Name: james cameron
Nickname: James
Home Town: Potchefstroom
Current 4x4: Toyota
Home Language: English

Post by JamesC »

When he initially advertised it, it had drawer systems in the back.
When I asked about the back seats and jumper seats, he said he didn't have it.

A month later, car appeared again, this time ex drawer system and low and behold, seats galore...

So ja...

Return to “01. Start Here”